CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the K9 one of the best?

I agree that a lot of the polymer models or other polymer subjects from other manufacturers are nice and convenient guns but there is still a place for the steel guns. I personally prefer the steel over the polymer. Polymer might be lighter but the steel feels like it has more substance. If that makes since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I agree. There's nothing wrong with plastic guns but they aren't for everyone. I've had several Glocks, an HK USP, and an HK P30L. I recently sold the last of them because I just prefer metal frames. Plastic guns have definitely exploded in the market in recent years but I don't think the metals frames are going extinct any time soon, at least I hope not. I wasn't too excited to see Ruger's plastic revolvers but I guess they were at least innovative.

So here it is 2019 roughly 7 years since I acquired my Kahr K9 and I thought would be interesting to update my original post again. There have been a lot of nice concealable (single and double stacks) hit the market over the last few years. I have shot most of the newer offerings but as of today my K9 is still my daily carry. Sure it's still heavy for today's standards but for me there's just something about a steel gun that feels oh so right! I have even acquired a MK9 for those days I want something a little smaller (church). Both the K9 and MK9 are shooters! If I do my part they are sure to do there's. I know most people today are all about polymer and how light a gun is because we all know ounces count over a long day but with a good belt/holster setup the weight is a non issue for me. I carry them in the same Crossbread Supertuck ever since I started carrying the K9 6 or 7 years ago. As of the first of 2019 my gunbelt is from Kore Essentials. I use this setup all day everyday, it just works and works well. After all this time for me the K9 still checks all the boxes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wisewolfhowling View Post
    So here it is 2019 roughly 7 years since I acquired my Kahr K9 and I thought would be interesting to update my original post again. There have been a lot of nice concealable (single and double stacks) hit the market over the last few years. I have shot most of the newer offerings but as of today my K9 is still my daily carry. Sure it's still heavy for today's standards but for me there's just something about a steel gun that feels oh so right! I have even acquired a MK9 for those days I want something a little smaller (church). Both the K9 and MK9 are shooters! If I do my part they are sure to do there's. I know most people today are all about polymer and how light a gun is because we all know ounces count over a long day but with a good belt/holster setup the weight is a non issue for me. I carry them in the same Crossbread Supertuck ever since I started carrying the K9 6 or 7 years ago. As of the first of 2019 my gunbelt is from Kore Essentials. I use this setup all day everyday, it just works and works well. After all this time for me the K9 still checks all the boxes!

I agree... I have more guns than I need, and most are carry sized. I have a few light weight polymer single stacks too, but there's something about metal framed guns. I have 2 K40s and a K9 now. I always wanted a MK9. A K9 or K40 convert would be the best of both worlds for me. Helpfully I'll come by one one day.

It's been 8 years last week since I bought my K9. While it is still a great gun and IMHO a classic, it is my rarely EDC anymore. There are exceptions, such as when I've been shooting revolvers in competition because the trigger in the K9 is so much like my S&W 686. However, today my EDC is usually a 1911 because that's what I usually shoot in IDPA & USPSA. Like most of us, I still prefer steel over plastic.

Dan_Wesson_PM-c-3850.jpg
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell
    Kahr's: K9, PM9, P380
    SOB's: 1911's, Sig's, Smith's . . .

OlympicFox I have toyed with the idea of a 1911 such as a Colt defender but I'm the type of person who will research something to death before I make a purchase. During my research on the 1911 (as with most guns) I read as many articles of how the 1911 is unreliable as I do articles of praise for the old slabside. I don't have enough experience with a 1911 to speak intelligently one way or the other and I have not made up my mind if I want to venture down that rabbit trail. I do like DA/SA as I have my CZP01 and a CZP07. I almost wish I could get a 1911 design that was DA/SA but with the trigger of a 1911 that pushes straight back!

I'll join in. I think Kahr is one of the greats. I've been messing with a lot of pistols the last few years, and none of them are without issues.

Looking at the start of this thread, Kel Tec isn't getting much love. I will say for Kel Tec, they haven't been coming out with bandwagon, me-too, style pistols. They have been putting out some unique stuff and they have some really fun offerings.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by Wisewolfhowling View Post
    OlympicFox I have toyed with the idea of a 1911 such as a Colt defender but I'm the type of person who will research something to death before I make a purchase. During my research on the 1911 (as with most guns) I read as many articles of how the 1911 is unreliable as I do articles of praise for the old slabside. I don't have enough experience with a 1911 to speak intelligently one way or the other and I have not made up my mind if I want to venture down that rabbit trail. I do like DA/SA as I have my CZP01 and a CZP07. I almost wish I could get a 1911 design that was DA/SA but with the trigger of a 1911 that pushes straight back!

Look at a Para Ordnance LDA. It doesn't have a straight pull trigger, it's more like a Kahr trigger, virtually no weight till you hit the release point and then it's 4 or 5lbs. Looks like a 1911, shoots like a 1911 but the hammer is always down. I have 3 and although I don't carry them much they are great guns. A little more margin for error than the typical 1911 and they look great like all 1911's.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Both the K9 and it's little brother the MK9 without a doubt are far superior to Sig, Glock, Kel Tech, M&P Shields and Rugers in quality and the way they shoot hands down! You just can't ask for a better pistol than these steel frame K Series Kahr pistols! I enjoy shooting the K9 and wouldn't take or either one of my two MK models. They both sport Texas made Dawson Precision fiber optic front sights.
    Last edited by brooks; 04-20-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: left out comment.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks View Post
    Both the K9 and it's little brother the MK9 without a doubt are far superior to Sig, Glock, Kel Tech, M&P Shields and Rugers in quality and the way they shoot hands down! You just can't ask for a better pistol than these steel frame K Series Kahr pistols! I enjoy shooting the K9 and wouldn't take or either one of my two MK models. They both sport Texas made Dawson Precision fiber optic front sights.
    Which DP sight set did you purchase? You have a pic?