Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the K9 one of the best?

Default Is the K9 one of the best?

Up until less then a year ago I had never shot a khar. Sure I had seen them in the magazines and wanted to try them out but for some reason took my time getting one. I finally broke down and bought a police trade in K9 and what did I find out? I absolutely love this gun! It shoots good, it is built solid, and is the perfect size in my opinion for ccw. I know some are going to argue that the pm9 is better for ccw but I like the extra weight and the full grip I can get on the gun.
    Now I know this site is going to be biased and like me we like the kahrs, but on another web site I was trying to explain how good the guns are and some people were comparing them to kel tech. This leaves me to one conclusion" they have never really shot or handled a kahr". Of course this site was trying hard to promote sig. They finally got tired of me debating that they deleted me out of the thread LOL. I even told them kahr might not be the best gun out there "for me it is" but it is definitely not in the same category as kel tech and like I told them I would put my K9 up against there sig 290 any day of the week. So in my humble opinion I think the K9 is one of the "Greats" and will always be a viable choice as a ccw.

If your holster selection is good, weight will not be an issue. We are spoiled with the light weight designs that have been released in the last 20 years and have forgotten that many (myself included) CC'd K-frame revolvers very successfully. My 2.5" S&W model 66 weighs 34 oz and nobody ever printed me carrying it.

Your K9 will serve you well.

The Kahr concept and general design are certainly one of the best for a concealed handgun. The sizes, weights and thin profiles are perfect. Where Kahr suffers in reputation are in the two most criticized areas; the "break in period" and Kahr's lack of rock solid reliability. The "greats" in the gun world do not have these handicaps.

Were the guns more reliable, then indeed the Kahr would be a great brand. I'm a huge Kahr fan, but the truth is I don't view them with anywhere near the awe that I do a Heckler Koch's product. My dream gun is a merger of Kahr and HK... a Heckler Kahr... a gun this small, this thin, this reliable, this perfect.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

IMO a bigger gun is easier to make run reliably and HKs are bigger that Kahrs. I respect the Kahrs for what they are and they aren't Kel tecs

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    The Kahr concept and general design are certainly one of the best for a concealed handgun. The sizes, weights and thin profiles are perfect. Where Kahr suffers in reputation are in the two most criticized areas; the "break in period" and Kahr's lack of rock solid reliability. The "greats" in the gun world do not have these handicaps.

Were the guns more reliable, then indeed the Kahr would be a great brand. I'm a huge Kahr fan, but the truth is I don't view them with anywhere near the awe that I do a Heckler Koch's product. My dream gun is a merger of Kahr and HK... a Heckler Kahr... a gun this small, this thin, this reliable, this perfect.
    Are the reliability issues more towards the newer guns " polymer " or all kahr's in general? When researching the K9 before buying one I didn't see a lot of talk about reliability issues.

The Kahrs are small packages and less forgiving than larger counterparts. I admire that Kahr is honest and states clearly that a break in is a good thing.

I think more than anything it gets a new owner and perhaps new shooter an opportunity to bond with the gun. They don't always need a break in at all but often times a combination of new shooter and a tight unforgiving gun make bad things happen.

There were very few issues with the K's and MK's. I had a peening issue with my early K40 but after that no issues since.

Those unknowing or those that ride for a specific brand will always find bad things to say about the ones they don't know about and usually have never had experience with.

The little 380 admittedly had a lot of issues. I think those have been worked out now and the new ones coming off the line are trouble free, hardly hear about any anymore.

Other than the lighter weight of the PM, the K has no downfalls. A good belt and holster and it'll be a winner.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default ur

Quote Originally Posted by kerby9mm View Post
    IMO a bigger gun is easier to make run reliably and HKs are bigger that Kahrs. I respect the Kahrs for what they are and they aren't Kel tecs
    totally right.. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by Wisewolfhowling View Post
    Are the reliability issues more towards the newer guns " polymer " or all kahr's in general? When researching the K9 before buying one I didn't see a lot of talk about reliability issues.
    I'd say that's pretty accurate and a good point. Of the entire Kahr line, the K9 has the best reputation. The biggest criticism the K9 may have faced is the trigger. Why one trigger for the K9 and another for the rest of the line has always been a mystery to me persoanally.

The K9 and HK P2000sk aren't that far apart in size or weight.

Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

my two cents: probalby at the time the K9 was being made the NYPD expressed their demands and kahr just made the nypd trigger as standard unless otherwise specified.

I realy hav eno criticism towards either triger system in the K9 over my PM9. I truthfully cannot tell thge difference, some claim they can, evidentely they are much better at feeling 1/8" travel than I am. Certainily in a SHTF situation one willnever know the difference.

Today the KL9's are all elite trigger with special order being now the nypd trigger system and that is now due to tyhe fact that kahr is no longer on the nypd approved carry list, so the nypd trigger will probably in time just dissappear to. Course now as most realize we now have 3 different trigger systems. nypd, elite and enhanced.

More than likely down the road we will hear jof people not being hapy abouyt the elite trigger system, yadda yadda.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Default I concur

I completely agree Wisewolf- My new K9 Elite should be waiting for me at my FFL on Thursday