CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Is the K9 one of the best?

IMG_5980.jpg
    It's all relative.

The K series is up there with the good, but once you go HK, you never want to go back to the ordinary. Dependability and trust issues have been a plague on Kahr, certain models more so than others. I am another who in all my years of shooting, never had an issue with any manufacturer other than Kahr. I loved my MK, but was never totally trusting in the design and function. When it's the only firearm manufacturer you have had issues with in 45+ yrs. of shooting, you pay close attention.........………………………………...……….

I own 5 modern Sig Sauers, arguable some of the very best pistols ever made. I carry a Kahr K9.

My answer to your question! Best offhand group I ever shot in my life. That's the reason for the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post

My answer to your question! Best offhand group I ever shot in my life. That's the reason for the picture.

That's an awesome grouping. I shoot the Weaver style as well.

*What type of sights do you have on your gun?
    *Did you shoot the rounds one after the other or did you lower the gun and re-focus; then raise and fire for each successive shot? I'm just curious because it's not always easy to maintain complete focus when running a full magazine.

Take care,
    Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph III; 05-06-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks for asking Ralph! I shot the first three from the Weaver, after seeing what the group was shaping up to be extraordinary for me, then finished the group one shot and lower at a time. I've own Kahr pistols since the turn of the century and always pleased with such fine accuracy from such small platforms. I was a 1911 carrier for years but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
    That's an awesome grouping. ... Did you shoot the rounds one after the other or did you lower the gun and re-focus; then raise and fire for each successive shot? I'm just curious because it's not always easy to maintain complete focus when running a full magazine.
    Yes, I doubt I will ever be able to see groups like the one pictured. I practice with my K9 by drawing from concealment from my thumb-break holster (OWB, at 9:00), and shoot once and then again (not quite the speed of a "double tap", though in a quick succession), and then re-holster completely, and then repeat. Self-defense distances (~21' to ~35'). I move into a Modified Weaver stance as I begin my draw.

I mentally keep track of (1) how quickly I fire the first shot, (2) to what degree the first shot hits the mark (i.e., "accuracy"), and (3) how close to the first shot the second shot strikes the target (i.e., "precision"). I try to improve on all three of these "metrics."

My groups don't look anything like the group pictured.

I would like to incorporate movement into my practice. However, my local indoor range permits drawing from a holster, but does not permit moving while firing.

rx7sig

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    Yes, I doubt I will ever be able to see groups like the one pictured. I practice with my K9 by drawing from concealment from my thumb-break holster (OWB, at 9:00), and shoot once and then again (not quite the speed of a "double tap", though in a quick succession), and then re-holster completely, and then repeat. Self-defense distances (~21' to ~35'). I move into a Modified Weaver stance as I begin my draw.

I mentally keep track of (1) how quickly I fire the first shot, (2) to what degree the first shot hits the mark (i.e., "accuracy"), and (3) how close to the first shot the second shot strikes the target (i.e., "precision"). I try to improve on all three of these "metrics."

My groups don't look anything like the group pictured.

I would like to incorporate movement into my practice. However, my local indoor range permits drawing from a holster, but does not permit moving while firing.

rx7sig
    Thumb break? Liked you before...like you even more now!

Sounds like you have a good practice system, keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    Sounds like you have a good practice system, keep it up.
    Thanks, @I_Like_Turtles. I am still relatively new at this, still trying to figure things out. I purchased my first pistol about three years ago, and my K9 about a a year and a half after that. What I described above seems to work for me, since I seem to be improving. One more thing: My "practice" ammo is my carry ammo (124 gr. Speer GD +P), so I am usually shooting the "real" stuff.

I do have some 115 gr. and 124 gr. Federal AE FMJ that I use, for now, whenever I am practicing one-handed or with my weak hand. I'll probably cease using this AE altogether sometime this summer once I get a bit more consistent.

rx7sig

rx7sig: I'm currently reading a book by Tom Givens called Concealed Carry Class and he advocates much of what you are using in your training regimen. Highly recommend it, a great read.

That group was slow squeezing and breathing with every round, no speed involved just shooting for group. I work a target regimen much like yours, taken from Givens teaching. Check it out!