Kahr Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry…Thousands of Thugs Can’t be Wrong!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by mluikey View Post
    here is a good thread on Appendix carry.... it's only 65 pages long...
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...Appendix-Carry)
    Thanks, mluikey. That's a good thread. That Garrity In-Victus looks like it would allow me to carry my new Walther PPQ AIWB, but it's $170 and the wait might be a year. Nice thing is he doesn't require payment up front, but honor would compel me to pay him when he contacted me. I wonder if there is something close to it that is more affordable and available in less time? The Blackhawk CQC IWB looks like a possibility. It is tempting, but I am sceptical about being able to carry the PPQ AIWB because of my big belly. I have 2 kydex OWB holsters and I am awaiting delivery of a 2 clip leather IWB holster that I am going to evaluate with the PPQ. I would also really like to try the very inventive holster solution discussed in this THREAD to see if I can achieve ultimate comfort and concealability with the PPQ.

Quote Originally Posted by itsthelaw View Post
    Great story JFootin. I only have one non-canted holster and it is for a G26. The holster is one of those cheap ones with a spring clip. I just tried it and it makes sense...even with the G26. The one thing that I cannot get over is that it is directly pointed at my manhood or, because I would probably have it closer to my hip, my femoral artery. That freaks me out! When I first carried, I was freaked about having a load in battery too, but now I don't think about it.

I'm predicting that you'll try to sell me a PJ, but what holsters do you use? Is kydex comfy or should it be leather? I'm a big fan of thin. BTW...been carrying my PJ almost exclusively now that the weather is cooler.
    You know I love Paul, but my belly is so soft and tender that I prefer something softer than kydex for AIWB. Also, please understand that I am way far from being any kind of an expert on this subject. So, here is a brief history of my experiments with AIWB carry.

I started getting interested in AIWB carry after I got my S&W 638 Airweight pistol. I ordered a PJ holster with zero cant to carry it at about 8:30. The holster is comfortable, but in that position near the hip the width of the cylinder makes it a little more noticeable than my CM9. I got the zero cant so I could also try it AIWB, but my soft belly didn't like it.

I have an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. It has a strip of grippy material that goes around it's middle. I found that it will stay put real well AIWB under belt tension, so I started experimenting with it in the AIWB position with the J-frame. I tried the CM9 but found it less comfortable and way more likely to print above and below the waistline than the J-frame. So I concentrated on the J-frame, which seems like it is made for AIWB carry.

Each of us is built differently. All I can say is YMMV. I have a typical but not exaggerated middle-aged spread. You know, the belly and the spare tire going around the sides. My waist size is 42 and my belly does not droop down over my belt, but my belt rides in a trough below the belly and spare tire. As I have explained in other posts including the one linked below, I find the shape of the J-frame to be ideal for riding in that trough near my belt where an untucked shirt draping down from my belly totally hides it. I found that a low ride and a reverse cant help to position the gun ideally. All of this is explained in my linked post:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=190079&postcount=7

I was so encouraged by my experiment with the UM holster that I commissioned James Dean to make me a leather AIWB holster to my specs for the J-frame. I specified low ride, reverse cant, a tuckable steel clip and rounded edge so there are no corners to dig into my belly. It came out beautifully!

The holster works wonderfully and keeps my gun securely holstered.

I had added a Taurus 738 TCP 380 to my collection, so I ordered an inexpensive Side Guard Minimal Snap Holster to carry it AIWB.

It works well and is very comfortable, too. If I had it to do over, though, I might get the Minimal Clip Holster instead because I think it rides lower.

Now here is an interesting twist. I wanted a pocket holster for the TCP and I decided to try the Stays-Put Ultra, which is just $14.95 shipped. I really liked it a lot! It is a well designed holster that is very thin, yet hides the gun well. And it STAYS PUT when I draw better than any pocket holster I have ever had. I ordered one for the J-frame, as well. It STAYS PUT even better because it fills up my jeans pocket. But, of course, I had to try them AIWB. Shazam! Boy, these holsters work extremely well there. They STAY PUT. They are effortless to insert or remove without having to fiddle with clips or snaps. They are lined with smooth nylon which makes the draw extra fast. They have a tiny little strip of flexible plastic that keeps the mouth open just enough to make it easy to reinsert the gun. Their thinness really enhances concealability. And they are so comfortable on my soft belly that I forget they are there! I found my perfect AIWB solution for 2 guns for just $29.90!

I use the leather holsters when I want to go a little dressier, and I still want to try the tuckable James Dean holster with a tucked in shirt. Haven't gotten around to it, yet.

Well, that's all I know. AIWB is my chosen carry method for the J-frame, and it is my favorite carry choice at present. I have a super cool covert carry system that I use for the TCP now, so the AIWB and pocket holsters don't see much use. Although, if carried on the waist, AIWB is my choice for the TCP. My CM9 carries ideally at about 8:30 in either my PM IWB holster or my James Dean 2 snap leather IWB holster. Based on my earlier experiments and the fact that I have 2 extremely comfortable and concealable holsters for carry behind the hip, I don't think I will pursue AIWB crry for the CM9. I'll have to let you know what I find that works for my new, larger gun - the Walther PPQ. It probably won't displace my small guns for concealed carry, but I would like to have a holster or two that can do it comfortably and concealably.
    Very interesting...

itsthelaw, my favorite holster for AIWB is a Dale Fricke Archangel holster. Conceals nicely and allows a good combat grip. I have one both for my K9 as well as my Glock 19.

The biggest thing is with holstering and making sure your finger is clear of the trigger when holstering.
    PM9
    Combat Elite Arms
    Registered FFL 01/03 SOT
    Retired LEO

I use appendix carry about 95% of the time. I have a PJ holster for my K9. It is thin, light weight, and very comfortable. With that said, I still prefer leather. I also have a Mitch Rosen clipper for my K9, my PM9, and my MK40. I bought all three of these from the Kahr site.

For me, the appendix carry works very well.

Due to the fact that I have to lock my pistol in the car during my work week, appendix carry is just much easier to get off and on. Otherwise I OWC at the 3-3:30 position on the weekends. My preferred method of carry...

JFootin, I agree 100% on using leather. The Garity looks like an awesome piece, but yes it is pricey as well as who knows how long it is going to take to get one. Here is another option,http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/i94.html I personally do not have any experience with them but I have heard good things. I have contemplated ordering one from them. Their price is $60 less. I also like using the High Noon Holsters "Mr Softy" it is a thinner leather that is not fitted like many other holsters but it takes on the shape of the gun nicely and is very minimalistic. The mouth of the holster is not reinforced so it does collapse when the gun is removed but it is not an issue for me as I am not drawing and reholstering like I would be in a training environment. I like to carry my PM9 using the Mr Softy as it hides very well. I would say I am built much like you. If I wear a kydex holster, I need to make sure I have a baggy shirt on as the gun and holster has a tendency to roll forward and print due to my "extra baggage".

A friend of mine named Spencer Keepers is making a new holster called the "keeper" and is supposed to be an awesome holster. It is $150 but a lot of trainers and LEO buddies are swearing by it.

Mike
    PM9
    Combat Elite Arms
    Registered FFL 01/03 SOT
    Retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by mluikey View Post
    JFootin, I agree 100% on using leather. The Garity looks like an awesome piece, but yes it is pricey as well as who knows how long it is going to take to get one. Here is another option,http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/i94.html I personally do not have any experience with them but I have heard good things. I have contemplated ordering one from them. Their price is $60 less. I also like using the High Noon Holsters "Mr Softy" it is a thinner leather that is not fitted like many other holsters but it takes on the shape of the gun nicely and is very minimalistic. The mouth of the holster is not reinforced so it does collapse when the gun is removed but it is not an issue for me as I am not drawing and reholstering like I would be in a training environment. I like to carry my PM9 using the Mr Softy as it hides very well. I would say I am built much like you. If I wear a kydex holster, I need to make sure I have a baggy shirt on as the gun and holster has a tendency to roll forward and print due to my "extra baggage".

A friend of mine named Spencer Keepers is making a new holster called the "keeper" and is supposed to be an awesome holster. It is $150 but a lot of trainers and LEO buddies are swearing by it.

Mike
    Thanks, Mike. Those are both interesting holsters, but they seem like they would ride too high, especially with a larger gun like the PPQ, and my big belly would push it out at the top, making it print and jaming the muzzle into my lower belly. The TT holster has a leather snap loop, which necessitates that the holster ride 3/4" above the belt to clear the snap. (I found that with my Side Guard holster for the TCP.) The other holster and the CCC one are just designed to be high riding. That may be necessary with a longer gun in order to prevent uncomfortable jaming against the leg when sitting. Maybe their designs are sturdy enough in the holster itself and the belt attachment to combat the belly push. I could wear it further to the side to avoid the belly push, but then it would definitely jam against my leg. I think I need a holster with a strong reverse cant. But these leather holsters are strait cant and cannot be adjusted. Questions, questions.

As you can see, my wheels are turning and I am still learning about making the AIWB carry work for more of my guns. Hopefully, we can all learn together in this thread. All intelligent additions to this conversation are welcome! But I don't want this thread to get into negative attitudes about safety and having a gun pointed at your junk. We are adults here, and we understand the risks and the need for extra precautions. This thread is for those who, having considered these things, is still interested in adopting this carry method and finding holsters that will work. So, positive, constructive posts, please.
    Very interesting...

Positive, constructive post? Where the heck am I and how did I get here?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Positive, constructive post? Where the heck am I and how did I get in this handbasket?
    Fixed it for ya

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

For MANY years the Illinois State Police carried their weapons in pure crossdraw positions. The sound reasoning was that they spent over 90% of their time seated in a car so what was the easiest arrangement for drawing a weapon while seated.

Each carry method has its adherants and detractors. Find what works for you and go with it.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Let us not jack this thread, it's one of very few serious ones we've had lately.

I'm serious and I mean it. :32:
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."