Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a new Walther PPQ!

Those Walthers are sweet. That one has alot of nice features on it. Combine that with Walther quality and it's hard to beat. Congradulations. I also can't wait for the range report . Only Walther I ever fired was my Buddies PPS9 and I have to say I really liked that pistol and would take it in a minute over the Shield. As far as small 9mm go I'm still pretty darned happy with my PM9 but if I wasn't I'm pretty sure the PPS9 would be taking it's place. As I shot it very well for a pistol I never touched before.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

SHOOT STRAIGHT, RIDE SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Those Walthers are sweet. That one has alot of nice features on it. Combine that with Walther quality and it's hard to beat. Congradulations. I also can't wait for the range report . Only Walther I ever fired was my Buddies PPS9 and I have to say I really liked that pistol and would take it in a minute over the Shield. As far as small 9mm go I'm still pretty darned happy with my PM9 but if I wasn't I'm pretty sure the PPS9 would be taking it's place. As I shot it very well for a pistol I never touched before.
    Came very close to getting a Walther PPQ.
    Ended up with a H&K P30 40 Light LEM.
    I love that gun, but am not sure I can justify the $900 price tag.

I keep looking at a Walther PPS 9mm.
    It looks sweet.
    When I get to close to buying one - I take my Kahr MK40 Elite to the range.

For the price,
    the Walther PPQ may well be one of the very best high capacity compacts available.

As for my HK45C at $999?
    That one is worth every penny.

I checked the tracking on my gun and it says:
    Expected Delivery By:
    November 17, 2012

Signature Confirmation™

I talked with my FFL and he said they usually show up about 2:30 and he likes to leave at 3:00. I live just 1/4 mile away, so I told him to call me and I'd be there in a flash!

Here is what I am hoping to see tomorrow afternoon!
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
    Well, there are a couple of areas they don't out-Glock the Glocks.
    1. Nobody makes a 30-round magazine for them.
    2. Threaded barrels are rare and expensive.

Walther made a threaded barrel for the first edition PPQ, but nobody knows where to buy them. People who have them, and are selling them, want $350-$400 for them.

Jarvis Custom makes drop-in threaded barrels for them for $277. A little spendy, but there you are. I ordered one, and I'll let you know how it fits when it arrives and I take it to the range. But, it's gonna be a LONG time before I can tell you how the 9mm suppressor works out.
    I am not interested in a threaded barrel, or night sights. The only thing I am considering is what a guy on the Walther Forum did...

PPQ....and butter?
    Buttery smooth that is

Well,...long story short - my PPQ trigger was not as "smooth" as I thought it could be. I think the whole discussion on the gritty triggers has merit, but the trigger is so good regardless...it's almost to a point of splitting hairs. I mean, my "gritty" trigger - was better and smoother than all of the poly triggers I shot or dry fired prior.

That said...oil worked in smoothing it out a bit...placed on the points in the manual and per the recommendations posted on this forum - but temporarily. As the oil dried out - the pull would gradually get grittier. I wanted,... well...a fix. So I sent that bad boy of a FPB "safety plunger" off to get nickel Teflon coated!!

I dropped it in today...and it is BUTTER! No bending of any trigger bars, or over greasing of the FPB - this thing is smooth. So...for those looking for a solution...this worked for me.

The Firing Pin Block, or Striker Block, or Safety Plunger is the light colored piece. It just cost him $14.95 including return shipping to get it done.

Magnum Research has 15 round mags for the Baby Desert Eagle that are made by the same manufacturer and sell for a little under $30. The only difference is the branding on the bottom of the mag base and a shinier black finish. If you are a perfectionist, pay twice as much for one with a duller finish and PPQ on the base. I'd rather have 2 of the MR mags.
    Very interesting...

Maybe I'm heavy on the trigger finger or something, but I've never really been able to tell what people are talking about with that. I mean, I've felt gritty triggers when I had a really dirty gun, but when clean, I've never really identified a problem.

I've noticed and felt the difference when installing different hammers for lighter pulls and shorter travel, but as for the smoothness, it's just never been an issue for me with a clean gun.

Good info about the magazines though. Too bad I've already ordered all of the additional ones I'll need. Though, now, I am tempted to get a couple more. Do you have a link for that?

Here is a link on the Magum Research mags. There are two kinds of mags for these guns, but only the Fast Action mags work for the PPQ.

https://desertvalleyfirearms.com/pro...oducts_id=8312
    Very interesting...

To Mr. Footin,

I think it's very cool that you are so excited about your soon-to-arrive new toy. Clearly you have done a lot of research on it and surely will be very excited by its arrival. I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations.

From time to time I read things from people who have a lot of this or that, including lots of guns, but I rarely hear how happy or excited they are. More is not always better.

In our society today many of us seem to be trapped between the rich who have everything but don't appreciate it, and the so-called "poor" who don't seem to appreciate things either but for very different reasons.

I truly mean this, but it is fun to see someone so happy and excited as you are. Good shooting!
    "Measure twice, cut once. Think twice, speak once."

Quote Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
    Maybe I'm heavy on the trigger finger or something, but I've never really been able to tell what people are talking about with that. I mean, I've felt gritty triggers when I had a really dirty gun, but when clean, I've never really identified a problem.

I've noticed and felt the difference when installing different hammers for lighter pulls and shorter travel, but as for the smoothness, it's just never been an issue for me with a clean gun.
    When I experience this is when a gun is getting hot from a lot of rounds thru it at the range. The trigger seems to develop some noticeable resistance. I have noticed it in my CM9, my TCP and in my shooting buddy's Caracal C which has a trigger very similar to the PPQ. I am going to clean it up and get to the range a.s.a.p. to put some ammo thru it. If I discern any of that resistance, then I will send my FPB to that place and get it coated. For just $15, why not?
    Last edited by JFootin; 12-09-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by QuercusMax View Post
    To Mr. Footin,

I think it's very cool that you are so excited about your soon-to-arrive new toy. Clearly you have done a lot of research on it and surely will be very excited by its arrival. I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations.

From time to time I read things from people who have a lot of this or that, including lots of guns, but I rarely hear how happy or excited they are. More is not always better.

In our society today many of us seem to be trapped between the rich who have everything but don't appreciate it, and the so-called "poor" who don't seem to appreciate things either but for very different reasons.

I truly mean this, but it is fun to see someone so happy and excited as you are. Good shooting!
    Thanks QM. I live on meager funds. I am on permanent disability because of a slowly progressive hereditary paralysis. So every gun purchase is a really big deal for me that doesn't happen very often. And, yes, I am very happy and excited! Unless I get disappointed by the USPS, I should have the gun in my possession by mid-afternoon tomorrow. Whoopee!
    Very interesting...

Some comments from PPQ owners:

My friend with a highly modified Glock 17 said "?uck you" after a full day of shooting his Glock to his best groups and trying my PPQ for a few rounds. Of course he meant it in the best way possible.
    I went to the range a couple months ago to qualify, and the deputy saw what I had and said "I should be blind folded because that gun will shoot it's self" and that "it is the Cadilac of guns."
    Very interesting...