Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P938 'Extreme' First Impressions & Initial Range Report

OlympicFox,
    Nice review, thanks for taking the time to put it together
    I've considered purchasing a P938, but the three I've handled had atrocious triggers. Personally, I doubt any of those would improve enough through use to be acceptable to me. Please post if you see significant improvement in your 938's trigger as you get more rounds down range with it or let us know how the trigger job goes.
    Originally Posted by OlympicFox
    Maybe I'm a snob, or maybe I just like good stuff but I prefer the PM9 over the CM9 just because the slide is finished so much nicer. That, and I like my carry guns black because a small black gun isn't as readily noticeable if the cover garment fails to cover for a moment. And I like night sights in my defensive guns. Details matter and the fact of life is that details cost money.
    FWIW,, there are night sights available for the CM9.
    Regards,
    Greg

Greg, I don't remember if I posted this in my P938 thread, but changing to a reduced power mainspring will take the trigger pull down to around 4-5 lbs. I haven't measured the pull, but is a big improvement. There's a thread on the Sig forum about doing this.

Replaced the main spring with a Wolff Reduced Power 20lb spring for a Colt Mustang ($4.19)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/376...-reduced-power
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
    Greg, I don't remember if I posted this in my P938 thread, but changing to a reduced power mainspring will take the trigger pull down to around 4-5 lbs. I haven't measured the pull, but is a big improvement. There's a thread on the Sig forum about doing this.

Replaced the main spring with a Wolff Reduced Power 20lb spring for a Colt Mustang ($4.19)
    Thanks Melissa! I'll check that out.
    Regards,
    Greg

Now THAT is an outstanding looking CM9!!!! I can see why you like its looks over the PM9.

One of the issues I have with polishing semi-autos is taking the edges off the cocking serrations on the slide. So, when I polished my Trophy Match, I put a piece of 800 or 1200 (can't remember) wet'n'dry on a piece of glass, and ran the slide forwards and backwards only. I didn't intend on polishing it to the high shine of your CM9, so I wanted any remaining marks to be horizontal. Then, I briefly buffed it with a wheel & Flitz.

I used this gun in Regional IDPA match in CA this June. Every Safety Officer noticed it and commented on it. The Ed Brown bobtail helps set it off.

OTOH, my workhorse PM40 looks positively fugly!

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    That Trophy Match is beautiful!

Did you not click the link to my SLIDESHOW? Here is one pic from it...

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell
    Kahr's: K9, PM9, P380
    SOB's: 1911's, Sig's, Smith's . . .

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to try that in my P238 & P938. But, I'll want to thoroughly test it with my carry ammo and carefully inspect the spent brass for light strikes. I tried RP hammer springs in my Sig P226 and had big issues igniting CCI primers. OTOH, it worked wonders on the P6.

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

I couldn't help but notice that the trigger on the several P938's I've handled were atrocious too. My P238 isn't much different. But, I really liked almost everything else about the gun & my hunch was/is that I'll be able to run it slightly better/faster than I can run the PM9.

I just ordered the 20# mainsprings (the P238 too!) that Melissa noted, so I'll test them with those before shipping the gun off for the trigger job. It should make for a nice comparison between the cheap mainspring swap and the full trigger job.

In the mean time, I put a few more rounds downrange today between stages in the IDPA match. Today it was 124 gr Federal American Eagle FMJ and some of my soft shooting 170 gr moly-lead IDPA load. Once again, it ran perfectly. Had a friend try it - he thought it was a bit snappy, so I handed him my PM40 full of 165 gr Ranger-T.

We reset his snappy meter.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    OlympicFox,
    Nice review, thanks for taking the time to put it together
    I've considered purchasing a P938, but the three I've handled had atrocious triggers. Personally, I doubt any of those would improve enough through use to be acceptable to me. Please post if you see significant improvement in your 938's trigger as you get more rounds down range with it or let us know how the trigger job goes.
    FWIW,, there are night sights available for the CM9.
    Regards,
    Greg
    George Orwell

I bought the gun already polished. You're right, it is very hard to grip the slide serrations and rack the slide.
    Very interesting...

OlymicFox,

I am probably one of a very small minority here, but although I can see the beauty in JFootin's CM9, I would not want to own it. To me your workhorse PM40 is far from fugly and looks exactly like a no nonsense gun should look, and I would like that.

As far as Sigs are concerned, I am not really a fan. I had a chance to pick up a 226 but honestly after shooting it a week, couldn't warm up to it (a family member had borrowed money from me, left me the gun as collateral and asked me to shoot it and see if I wanted it). Now, if H&K ever made a pocket gun I'd be all over that, but the likelihood of that happening is next to zip.

Enjoy your guns.
    PP

I'm not so sure you're in a minority. In fact, I've actually considered having that polished Springfield Trophy Match Ceracoted & converting it from a target pistol into a CCW pistol. And I've got a new 1911 on order that every week I re-think whether to go brushed stainless or black. Maybe black with ivory grips for dress occasions.

Fortunately, we have lots of choices when we're in the market for a new gun. I love having all those choices, while it sort of drives my wife crazy. I like pretty much everything about Sig P226's. Which may explain why we've owned almost as many Sig's as 1911's. The one gripe I have is that my thumb slides on the takedown lever during recoil and that sometimes annoys me. I've handled a few H&K's and I'll admit that they feel better than good in the hand. If they offered a single stack, I may well have bought one instead of the P938.

I prefer my CCW guns in black, too. While not necessarily better looking, black is simply less noticeable if the gun gets uncovered. Even though open carry is legal where we live, I prefer to avoid upsetting the wimps that are afraid of guns and inciting them to become pro-active anti-gunners.

As for my competition guns? I prefer pretty. Hard chromed, Ceracoted, polished stainless, spiffy grips. Anything but fugly.

None the less, the PM40 is fugly and that's not intended to be a compliment. OTOH, my Dan Wesson Guardian is a looker . . .

The finish on the Dan Wesson is so smooth and a lustrous black instead of fugly black. It wears a pair of matte walnut burl grips when more discretion is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by PattayaPistol View Post
    OlymicFox,

I am probably one of a very small minority here, but although I can see the beauty in JFootin's CM9, I would not want to own it. To me your workhorse PM40 is far from fugly and looks exactly like a no nonsense gun should look, and I would like that.

As far as Sigs are concerned, I am not really a fan. I had a chance to pick up a 226 but honestly after shooting it a week, couldn't warm up to it (a family member had borrowed money from me, left me the gun as collateral and asked me to shoot it and see if I wanted it). Now, if H&K ever made a pocket gun I'd be all over that, but the likelihood of that happening is next to zip.

Enjoy your guns.
    PP
    George Orwell

Grip tape, like duct tape, solves all kinds of problems. Not exactly elegant, but effective.

I even found some clear grip tape that's less fugly. OK, not much less.

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    I bought the gun already polished. You're right, it is very hard to grip the slide serrations and rack the slide.
    George Orwell