CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First AR15 Build. Welcoming Input

My upper was a complete from M&A, with the M4 handguards. With the MOE handguards, I just just popped the old ones off and popped the new ones on, super super easy. You just pull the Delta ring back, put the top in place and slide the delta ring. Repeat for the bottom and you're done.

I have installed a set of Surefire rails (a few years ago now) and it was a HUGE pain in the ass....but again that was a while ago, so they may have gotten easier. I didn't want to try to install my barrel into an upper and everything, and the M&A stuff is cheap enough I didn't worry about, so that may have made my installation easier.

My last AR was a midlength gas tube gun, but I never really noticed a difference between it, a full length, and a carbine. None of them recoil IMO. I went with the carbine because I liked the look of it.

[QUOTE=MO_Soldier;200813Thanks Charlie. I first went with the midlength because you can mount a bayonet on it. Then I found on bravo company's site, that the midlength cuts down on recoil a lot while still being light and maneuverable.[/QUOTE]

It's my understanding that the mid-length vs short-length gas system is supposed to be more reliable. I've never used/fired an M4 length rifle so I don't really know if that's true, but I do know my middy has been 100% so far in about 1500rds. It does seem like it blows a little more gas either out of the bolt or back through the rear of the upper (into your face) than any -A2 I've ever fired; not always but every once in a while you'll get a good snort of gas.

Here lately I've been thinking about having my rifle hydro dipped in multicam.
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

What is hyrdo dipped?
    All ive ever heard about it cerkote. What other types of gun coating is there?
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

There is a place in Nixa, MO that does it (I'm thinking you're down here in SW MO).
    http://www.ozarkshydrographics.com/

Check out their photos, outdoor. You'll see lots of guns with it done to them....kinda crazy.

I wouldn't trade the Magpul furniture for anything. I like it light, and you can add a piece of rail for any accessory you might want up front, like a light.

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
    Here lately I've been thinking about having my rifle hydro dipped in multicam.
    Does it hold up well? That is pretty cool.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”
    “To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    --George Mason

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Got that DC?

Quote Originally Posted by les strat View Post

Does it hold up well? That is pretty cool.
    This past weekend I did an AR class taught by an Air Force guy. His Larue Predator had been dipped for about 2 years and it still looked great. In my neck of the woods it would cost $225 for the whole rifle.
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
    This past weekend I did an AR class taught by an Air Force guy. His Larue Predator had been dipped for about 2 years and it still looked great. In my neck of the woods it would cost $225 for the whole rifle.
    I did some research on the process and googled a bunch of pics. Definitley better than a couple cans of krylon. This will be a definite option if I ever decide to camo my AR.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”
    “To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    --George Mason

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Got that DC?

Im wondering how it compares to cerakote though. I know of a guy who will do a whole AR for $75
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I like the MOE furniture as well. Here's my AR in FDE. It's a S&W upper on a RRA lower (really like the 2 stage trigger). I recently added the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic:

Regards,
    Greg

Greg,
    I have the same muzzle device on mine (friend from the academy had it but needed a short one so we traded, my A2 for that) how do you keep that thing from ringing?

Justin,
    I have a black MOE vertical grip for mine some where, took it off because I just didn't cotton to it. If it matched the paint, I'd send it to you.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.