Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: 1911 build?

Default 1911 build?

I know it is possible to buy 1911 in pieces and put it together, this is what I did with my AR.

It seems to me like the 1911 would be more complicated and troublesome to build.

Just how hard is it to assemble a "kit" 1911?

what are the common problems that people run into?

First problem - shoddy parts

Next - you need to fit the slide to the frame

Next problem - if you want a gun that shoots ok and lasts, you need a barrel that fits - buy oversize and fit it

next problem - more shoddy parts

Get GOOD hammers and sears and disconnectors

next fit them - it takes experience, but its not hard

~~~

I've built up many hundreds of 1911's. Many. They all worked. Built up a few real target 1911s, and they all shot well. Perhaps not Jim Clark bullseye, but they shot well.

No matter what any one says, you CAN fit a barrel with files alone, but.. you have to be good with files, and know the tricks to making things come out square and level... even on the curved bottom lug area.

There's more to a nice 1911 than just going bang. Its a thing of balance, one of things fitting "just so".

Or, you end up with an army 45 type loosy goosy affair that will work, but ... ya know, maybe thats all ya want.

Last year I built 4 of 'em for myself, and put a barrel in a fifth one. No complaints.

so this will not be a simple project like the AR was will it?

it seems that i would be biting off a lot more than I can chew just to save some money

A good AR is not easy either. One that shoots is easier.

My suggestion -
    Buy something like a RIA, and put a quality barrel in it. Or.. replace the lockwork with parts you select from brownells or midway - burn some $$$ learning... its the only way

thanks for the advice CJB

The old man speaks the truth here. I have done a fair number of 1911's, and sometimes it is a labor of love. Same with the AR. Like he said spend some coin and learn.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Contact John at Remsport.

John.
    413 579 1994
    remsportsales@aol.com

I have seen several pistols built with their parts and they ran well. Remsport offers some fitting for you if you choose that option.