CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregon Mall Shooting:

Default Oregon Mall Shooting:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/oregon-mall...2#.UMh0X2-9Z8E
    A masked gunman who opened fire in the crowded Clackamas Town Center mall in suburban Portland, Ore.,
    killing two individuals and seriously injuring a third before killing himself,
    has been "tentatively" identified by police, though they have not yet released his name.

The shooter, wearing a white hockey mask, black clothing, and a bullet proof vest,
    tore through the mall around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday,
    entering through a Macy's store and proceeding to the food court and public areas spraying bullets, according to witness reports.

We need this like we need another A*****e
    "Never pet a burning dog"

A guess that the mall should have posted no AR-15 signs. Signs don't stop crimes. Armed law abiding citizens stop crime.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Good call muggsy. I don't think this would fly in Missouri. Too many law abiding citizens who carry guns. Granted, even for me it would have been quite a task to pull off a head shot on this guy.

I can't help but think I would have hidden until he passed me, before taking a well placed shot from behind; up close and personal.
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

if gun were not around this would not have happened. We must ban the damn things immediately. OR start carrying rifle caliber pistols to counter the bullet proof vest

Quote Originally Posted by MO_Soldier View Post
    Good call muggsy. I don't think this would fly in Missouri. Too many law abiding citizens who carry guns. Granted, even for me it would have been quite a task to pull off a head shot on this guy.

I can't help but think I would have hidden until he passed me, before taking a well placed shot from behind; up close and personal.
    I think about situations like this...and If I was shopping alone the chance of me trying to take him out would be much higher than If I had my wife and/or daughter with me....in those situations, if I had a safe way to get them out without drawing attention to ourselves (aka by going bang bang bang) I would do it. Sorry other folks, my family first..and in many situations my own safety. I'm no longer a paid officer where the "innocents" fall higher on the hierarchy than myself.....it may sound bad, but a dude in a vest with an AR is going to outmatch me with a CCW....Now, no choice or he's close enough to get a contact head shot from behind, I won't turn tail and run....but if I am far enough away to be gone, I will be.

How does a man dressed in camo, wearing body armor and a mask, carrying and AR-15 just walk into a mall unnoticed? A curious mind wants to know. Can you say situation awareness? Can you say cell phone? I guess no one wanted to get involved.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    How does a man dressed in camo, wearing body armor and a mask, carrying and AR-15 just walk into a mall unnoticed? A curious mind wants to know. Can you say situation awareness? Can you say cell phone? I guess no one wanted to get involved.
    I've wondered that same thing.....just the normal thing to do there in Portland I guess.....

I think even here in SW MO where a lot of people carry, it would draw suspicion as soon as you were carrying your rifle into the mall and/or wearing a mask...put the two together and it gets way worse IMO. I read that news article from the other post, and it talks about how no one was even calling 911, AFTER the shooting had started. In Sociology we called this Diffusion of Responsibility. Everyone thinks someone else is going to help. It's the reason we have so many wrongs occurring in plain sight and no one doing anything about it...they all think someone else will help. It's why you're better off breaking down on a very unbusy stretch of road than a busy one, you're more likely to get help by the one or two passerbys vs the hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinN View Post
    I think about situations like this...and If I was shopping alone the chance of me trying to take him out would be much higher than If I had my wife and/or daughter with me....in those situations, if I had a safe way to get them out without drawing attention to ourselves (aka by going bang bang bang) I would do it. Sorry other folks, my family first..and in many situations my own safety. I'm no longer a paid officer where the "innocents" fall higher on the hierarchy than myself.....it may sound bad, but a dude in a vest with an AR is going to outmatch me with a CCW....Now, no choice or he's close enough to get a contact head shot from behind, I won't turn tail and run....but if I am far enough away to be gone, I will be.
    I too am thinking escape first.
    If escape is not possible?
    Then cover and any kind of tactical advantage.
    Finding the best place to make a stand.
    Fortunately time is on your side.

Hit the fire alarm and look for an ambush point.
    If the shooter has just a vest, sans full body armor, then pelvis and legs get priority for shooting.

I'm usually thinking head to the back of stores for service entrances and loading docks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    I too am thinking escape first.
    If escape is not possible?
    Then cover and any kind of tactical advantage.
    Finding the best place to make a stand.
    Fortunately time is on your side.

Hit the fire alarm and look for an ambush point.
    If the shooter has just a vest, sans full body armor, then pelvis and legs get priority for shooting.

I'm usually thinking head to the back of stores for service entrances and loading docks.
    I agree with you Barth. When I go out, I am much more situationally aware.