Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM9 Crimson Trace Laser or Nightsights

Quote Originally Posted by olympicmotorcars View Post
    Sorry, I have to be the negative voice. I had a crimson trace on my PM last year for several months and it worked great, until I noticed one day while practicing dry firing, the laser had become significantly off zero compared with my sights. ( I mean you would miss by several feet if targeting something 7 yards away.) I promptly removed it and bought some Meprolights and have never looked back.
    If yours becomes off zero and have to use your weapon, which will you trust in a split second decesion, the laser or your sights? Especially if you are used to relying on the laser.
    You posted while I was in the midst of posting, and had walked away for a minute. Regardless, I already placed my order earlier today.

I really appreciate you bringing that concern up though. It's certainly something I'll have to watch for. Was yours an EDC piece? What sort of holster were you using? IWB or Pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by olympicmotorcars View Post
    Sorry, I have to be the negative voice. I had a crimson trace on my PM last year for several months and it worked great, until I noticed one day while practicing dry firing, the laser had become significantly off zero compared with my sights. ( I mean you would miss by several feet if targeting something 7 yards away.) I promptly removed it and bought some Meprolights and have never looked back.
    If yours becomes off zero and have to use your weapon, which will you trust in a split second decesion, the laser or your sights? Especially if you are used to relying on the laser.
    This is the reason, and I've read it more than a few times in regards to the PM/CM series, that I have not bought a CT for my CM9. Since it's not a grip panel replacement like other pistols, and there is no accessory mounting rail for the laser to firmly lock onto, I can see how the attachment method would be prone to movement. I currently have a Dawson tritium front on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by APSKahr View Post
    This is the reason, and I've read it more than a few times in regards to the PM/CM series, that I have not bought a CT for my CM9. Since it's not a grip panel replacement like other pistols, and there is no accessory mounting rail for the laser to firmly lock onto, I can see how the attachment method would be prone to movement. I currently have a Dawson tritium front on mine.
    The answer is to get a Walther PPS which has a rail for a laser. Slightly larger, but a well liked CC pistol with some great features.
    Very interesting...

Yes, the Walther PPS is a very nice pistol I've shot one before. For me, the things going against it are primarily, that I already have a CM9 and not a PPS, lol. But I think it's slightly too large for pocket carry and I don't like the magazine release. Plus it's more expensive, and mags are more expensive.

Well, just wanted to throw that option out there for using a laser. I am not interested in a laser for my CM9 or any of my carry pistols. Not needed at SD distance, IMO. I have read a lot of negative reports about the fit of the CT laser on Kahrs, so they are no go for me. Now, I have the Laserlyte LT-Pro training laser and the reactive Laser Target that I can use for practice with all of my pistols, and they help me to learn better trigger control and to develop point shooting skill right here in my man cave. Nice thing is that ammo cost is zero!
    Very interesting...

I also have a PPS. Great pistol. I carry it a lot.

Pyranha: yes the PM 40 is one of my EDC pistols, along with my Glock 27 and Walther PPS.
    I have high noon IWB tuckable holsters for all of them. ( Split Decision , I think is the name of them ). You might want to check out highnoonholsters.com

I have a CT laser on my CM9 and it is dead on accurate. It was very easy to adjust and hasn't moved in 300 rounds. I like it and practice with it. In low light or in an awkward position sight acquisition is not always an option. I like to keep my options open.

I have a CT on my PM9 and it does slip very slightly on occasion but not enough to alter the point of aim more than an inch at self defense distance of 5-7 yards. I keep an allen wrench handy and make a quick adjustment each time I dry fire practice. Takes about 10 secs. So, not much of an issue for me, and the laser is great for dry fire practice.
    That said, I'm installing Big Dot sights and may consider losing the laser. It does take up a slight amount of purchase space under the trigger guard on an already very short grip. I also practice with my other guns with sights so it seems like a strange transition. Finally, in reality, I'm not convinced that I'd be using any sights or even that they are needed in an , Oh $%^^, get off me situation. But, having good sights or a laser sure make practice more fun.
    Just think we need to be realistic in our reasoning. If we need one of these little guns in a self defense situation it's likely to be very up close and personal under more stress than most folks can imagine. That's not to say we shouldn't train, I just think we sometimes get too hung up on the gear.

I bought my PM9 with night sights. I added the Crimson Trace laser sights as soon as they were available. I have never had it need readjusting after being set. That could be because I remove it when cleaning and reinstall it and adjust as necessary, due to the reinstallation. I practice with both the laser and without. I wouldn't recommend totally relying on the laser. Although unlikely, it could fail when you need it most.
    To each his own, but I have night sights and Crimson Trace laser sights on all four of my carry guns. The fact is that most defensive shootings occur in low light conditions.