Xssights   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand New P380 - many failures to feed and fire problems

Default Brand New P380 - many failures to feed and fire problems

Hello,

I have purchased two new Kahrs - a PM9 and CW45, both of which have been excellent from day one. All great experiences - never any failures whatsoever. So I was excited to acquire a P380.

Yesterday I took delivery of a brand new P380 serial #RCxxxx.

After an initial cleaning and Balistol lubrication I took it to the range today to begin the 200 round break-in using factory 95 gr. FMJ loads.

I was terribly disappointed. Using the recommended method of using the slide release lever (I did not sling-shot the slide) I had immediate issues with failures to feed, failures to go into full battery and failures to fire. I had to clear at least three or four major jams with the live round jammed partically in the chamber, lodged between the slide and chamber.

After clearing the jams, I might have gotten it to fire only to get another jam on the next round. I do not believe I got more than 2 consecutive rounds to fire before getting another jam. I tried both the factory 6-round and 7-round mags with the same results.

It took all I could do to get a grand total of eight rounds fired. At that point, I gave up.

Back at home, I field stripped the gun to see if I could notice anything that did not look right. On close inspection, what I noticed was that the grove in the polymer frame in which the slide cycles has some areas of the polymer grove that look like they have been gouged.

I'm inclined to immediately contact Kahr customer support but thought I'd first ask whether anyone else out there has experienced problems like these with a P380.

THANKS for any help you can provide!
    Last edited by bobbtopgun; 07-07-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Great idea to ask here first! I have 3 other Kahrs and a P380. The P380 had different issues than yours, but it was very disappointing. The guys on this site are brilliant and can probably help. I spent some extra $ on ammo trying to work out the issues, but never had to send it to Kahr.

They will help! If they can't, then you can send it back. I shot my P380 today and loved it.

Dang, I thought they got the issues with the P380 ironed out. Maybe that is an older one that had been on the shelf for awhile?
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

That stinks..i got mine a few months ago. Wiped the oil off the outside of it and fired 200 flawless round through it. My only issue now is the slide is not staying back after the last round. Have you tried different ammo?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Default Try different Ammo

Sounds exactly like what my P380 was doing today with Fiocci ammo. I switched to Gold Dots, Hornady, and a locally made +P ammo and had no trouble firing 100 rounds. The ammo was expensive, though. PMC ammo was just recommended to me as a cheap ammo to use during break in. Give a box a try if you can find it.

A Dremel tool also works wonders....I think they should forego the second mag and put a Dremel tool in the box next to the cool lock.

My issue was: magazine issues with the mag release slot in the mag catching the follower and preventing the 3rd round advancing in all magazines. Ftfeed issue. Dremel the follower and issue was gone.

Love my P380. Followed all the recommended pre-breakin and lube tasks, polished the feed ramp and chamber ( as I do on all my sem-autos), and I have over 400 rounds hardball through it with not a single issue.
    I'll admit---I'm trigger happy

Topgun-

I recently had the same experience with my p380. (See thread 'striker prevents chambering). I also have a pm9 with no hiccups from the first shot.
    Here's where I am now, two cleans one action polish and 250 rds later.
    I assumed you followed jockos and Greg's posts on prep, polishing and proper lube.
    My first trip to the rang was like yours and I came home very frustrated. I also was not making sure the striker was behind the striker block before inserting a magazine.
    I was shooting Magtec fmj which apparently it didn't like.
    So here are my suggestions:
    Field strip and spray/clean
    Polish chamber, ramp and throat and mag lips with dremel
    Modify magazine follower and make sure spring is inserted with the end with the greatest angle up
    I've never used balistol but maybe try another wet lube?
    Def try another ammo
    Shoot 1-200 more rounds, tear down clean etc
    Also make sure rounds are fully rearward in the magazine

After all that my recent trip out was flawless. My p380 seemed to require much more breakin than pm9. I also bought some snap caps and have done lots of dry firing/racking since that first bad outing.

Mine has been back to Kahr 3 times. Last time they said they could not get it to fail. I got it back on the first 50 rounds through it and I had 5 light strikes. I am now wondering if I just can't shoot this small gun. Never an issue with my pm9. Maybe someone from the Bay Area in California can meet some day. I would like to get someone else using my p380 and ammo to see.