Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Style SilverTips-Save or Shoot them?

Default Old Style SilverTips-Save or Shoot them?

I received 45 Old Style 9mm 115 Silvertips in a trade, I didn't know they were old style until reading MouseGunners test.

I was going to use them for function testing in my CW9 to see if they're worth buying, but if I can't buy them ,whats the point?

Should I just save them for my hungry Glock when SHTF?

Save them, you'll need them to kill werewolves at some point I'm sure. Or play the modern version of the lone ranger...glock+silver bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    Save them, you'll need them to kill werewolves at some point I'm sure. Or play the modern version of the lone ranger...glock+silver bullets.
    They're not really silver so they won't work on werewolves. Trust me on this. I was really naive about all this back in the day and barely escaped. TG for all that back-up crap I carried.
    NRA Benefactor

The new bullet is supposed to be an improvement over the old, so I'd go ahead and shoot them. Besides... fresher ammo in a CCW may be a more prudent choice, just on the face of it. Shoot it and buy new.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    They're not really silver so they won't work on werewolves. Trust me on this. I was really naive about all this back in the day and barely escaped. TG for all that back-up crap I carried.
    Good to know. Thanks! I've been working on whittling some wooden bullets for vampires and also filling some hollow points w/ holy water and sealing them w/ wax (like Roy Scheider did for Jaws). But mostly I figure I'll just run like a little girl when it comes to this.

What Ripley said. Also I would add that you can often find 50 round boxes of proven modern designs like Gold Dot, SXT, etc at gunshows and online for MUCH LESS than 9mm Silvertips.

Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    I received 45 Old Style 9mm 115 Silvertips in a trade, I didn't know they were old style until reading MouseGunners test.

I was going to use them for function testing in my CW9 to see if they're worth buying, but if I can't buy them ,whats the point?

Should I just save them for my hungry Glock when SHTF?
    BB:

Wasn't the supposed problem with the old ST's that they expanded too quickly and didn't penetrate well?

If that is the case, then with that understanding and limitation you could still use them for whatever needs shootin and is not too big.

just sayin

-steve
    -NRA Life Member

-It isn’t Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!

-Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
    Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    -Thomas Paine

I found a partial box of old Silver Tip 380s from back in the 70s when I had a Colt Mustang 380. They look alright, but have probably been exposed to moisture and wide temperature variations. I wouldn't trust them for carry, but I am debating whether to try them for range ammo.
    Very interesting...

Find ammo that performs well in the FBI protocol.

Silveryips werent good when they were aluminum jacketed, and they arent any good now that they are copper jacketed (USA JHP w/ coloring).

Default Shoot

Although ammo will last for many years stored properly.
    I usually shoot and replenish my SD ammo every year or two.

That my change as the Emperor continues with his current Reign of Terror.