Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pic Link Now: PM9 - Missed the barrel lug, now back to the factory? - Not!!

Some of us learn the easy way and some of us learn the hard way, but most of us learn. Experience, both good and bad, is a good teacher. I prefer the easy way.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Well, we learn things by others' mistakes... and sometimes... that person comes up with a fix... as hopkins92 did. BRAVO!

If everyone watched the Kahr take down video, they would see how to do it correctly, but you have to pay attention. You don't want to move the slide to the rear so that you miss the danged hole in the barrel lug. When I put my slides back on, I usually have to wiggle the trigger a bit... lightly pull it... then I rack the slide a few times and let it go back to the forward position. Then I make sure the hole in the barrel lug is lined up, before inserting the pin. I tilt the pin to the rear a bit to clear the front loop of the slide lock spring and then insert it partially. I rotate the slide lock around to the 3 o'clock position and line up the actuator on the right rear of the slide lock lever with the slide cutout and push the pin in vertically with a tiny bit of wiggle until the slide lock is flush. Then I pull the slide back until the slide lock notch is in place to engage the slide lock, but just test the SL by pushing the SL up and releasing it to see if the spring is engaged correctly on the rear of the slide lock to force the SL back down. I don't really use the "witness marks" as I'm watching the slide lock lever and trying to not bend the right part of the slide lock spring or scratch the polymer with the SL actuator.

This is all covered in the take down video... emphasized... as it is in the manual, because this is a very critical part of re-assembly and if you're not paying attention you can do a lot of damage to your pistol... and or cause malfunctions!

I check the tightness of the screw holding down the washer over the SL spring a lot, especially the P40, which is really prone to loosening. Careful here, though, because of the steel screw and plastic threads that are easily stripped. I wouldn't want to be charged for a new frame because I stripped those plastic threads!

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 01-14-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Much appreciated info for just in case!

Well, thanks for the interest and the positive feedback. I didn't mean to start a 3 page thread on kahrtalk with my first post.

This has been a great thread. You came here for help, but wound up helping US!

This problem comes up every once in a while and now we have a fix without sending it back to the factory. That's a great thing about this forum... we learn from each other!

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

There is a u-tube called K9 Trick about inserting an empty mag then pulling the slide back while putting pressure on the slide stop. I tried it on my mk9 & mk40 and it works on both. The slide stop pops out with a noticeable click. I posted my results after watching the video but some said it didn't work on their guns. Anyway it works on mine and obviously in this thread also.

Default PM9 - Missed the barrel lug, now back to the factory? - Not!!

hopkins92,
    Good job fixing that!
    Would it be possible for you to post some photos of your barrel's lug and the inside of the frame where it sits?
    I ask because on my two poly Kahrs, the barrel cannot be moved into a position where the stop can be inserted ahead of the lug. I believe there must be some barrel/frame variation that allows this to happen on some guns and I would like to see what that is.
    Thanks again for posting your solution.
    Regards,
    Greg

Yes! Please do it again... on video!

On the bright side, you're getting closer to enough posts to have an avatar!

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    hopkins92,
    Good job fixing that!
    Would it be possible for you to post some photos of your barrel's lug and the inside of the frame where it sits?
    I ask because on my two poly Kahrs, the barrel cannot be moved into a position where the stop can be inserted ahead of the lug. I believe there must be some barrel/frame variation that allows this to happen on some guns and I would like to see what that is.
    Thanks again for posting your solution.
    Regards,
    Greg
    My close-up camera skills are hit-or-miss, but I'll try some still photos. I don't have a video camera. Anyway, I sure don't want to recreate the whole mess.

Great info... glad we have another option before sending it back. Thanks

Sticky it!