Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: Slide Stop Pin inserted Wrong?

Default Slide Stop Pin inserted Wrong?

If you happen to get your slide stop inserted in front of the barrel lug, this is bad. The gun will not function, in fact it most likely won't even pull back far enough to correct this issue, and may need to go back to Kahr in order to fix this.....

One member has reported that inserting a magazine into the gun will allow the slide to move back far enough to get the pin, and thus reassemble the gun correct.

The easiest method is don't assemble it wrong in the first place BUT if you happen to get yourself in a bind, try the magazine method first. It may save your gun a cross country trip.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinN View Post
    One member has reported that inserting a magazine into the gun will allow the slide to move back far enough to get the pin, and thus reassemble the gun correct.
    I was just over at a friend's house and he was showing me his P9. He broke it down and when he went to put it back together he made the mistake mentioned in this thread. I used my iPhone and looked this thread up and told him about the magazine insert idea. He tried it and it worked so that he could correct the problem very easily.

YAY! This is one of the best member discoveries we've had, because THIS does come up quite often and now it can be corrected without expensive shipping and weapon loss for a week or more!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Slide Lock Springs in the polymer Kahrs

Above... the left side (blue) goes into the detent and holds the SL pin in place. The free end (right and red) goes ON TOP of the ledge next to the SL actuator... to hold down the SL.

Here are some more pix. The spring in this series of photos needed to be replaced. You can see it is bent on the left side and doesn't keep the pin in tight, close to the frame as possible. It is a loose fit and allows the pin to migrate out during firing! The right side is bent as well. New springs should lie flat with only the 90° bend not lying in the same plane.

I've seen many variations of this. The insertion of the pin can catch the left side and bend it. The actuator going into the right side can catch the free end and bend it up or down or into the hole.

I start with the pin nearly vertical, but the top slightly to the right and the lever at 3:30 or so, rotate the pin to vertical and start it into the hole AND into the hole in the lug under the barrel, pushing down with my thumb and rotating the lever to align with the frame and go into the hole on the right...UNDER the free end of the SL spring. The "witness" marks on the slide and frame must be aligned, but you can also watch the actuator protrusion and make sure it goes under the half-moon cutout in the slide. The spring must rest on top of the little ledge to the left of the actuator to hold the slide lock down and allow the slide to move back and forth during firing UNTIL the follower on the EMPTY magazine pushes up the actuator and causes the slide lock to engage the slide and hold it in the rearward position. This also makes the slide very hard to release with the SL Lever when the magazine is empty... by design. With the magazine removed or a loaded magazine inserted, the SL Lever is easily moved and the slide released.

All of this is very thoroughly explained in the Kahr Take Down Video, starting at 4:30 in the video.

T, TP, CW, P, & PM/CM Series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA

After replacement of my PM45 SL spring, I was at the range a time or two after replacement, and the gun malfunctioned! I found that the left side of the rather new SL spring had cleanly broken in two. Kahr sent me a replacement, as they do on things that break, and I added an SL spring, a screw, and a washer to the parts list that I maintain for my Kahrs. I've never heard of another SL Spring breaking like that, but it's a very important part of Kahr polymers and they don't work without one!

Wynn
    Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by wyntrout; 03-07-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Rookie move, was in a hurry and got the slide stop in ahead of the barrel lug on my PM9 . The problem is that the slide won't move forward enough to remove the stop. I have read some solutions and looked at the parts diagram. The only solution I see is to sacrifice the stop, replace it and the recoil spring (been compressed for a while), or, send it to Kahr so they can do the same thing for a lot more $.

Quote Originally Posted by 95B View Post
    Rookie move, was in a hurry and got the slide stop in ahead of the barrel lug on my PM9 . The problem is that the slide won't move forward enough to remove the stop. I have read some solutions and looked at the parts diagram. The only solution I see is to sacrifice the stop, replace it and the recoil spring (been compressed for a while), or, send it to Kahr so they can do the same thing for a lot more $.
    In case you missed it, here's the thread that this sticky references: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...he-factory-Not!!
    The OP had the same issue with the slide not moving forward enough:
    "I guess I had the slide too far rearward when I pushed the slide pin in. I didn't notice anything wrong, so I cycled it a couple times and it jammed with the witness mark on the slide about 1/8 inch behind the mark on the frame. That trapped the slide stop pin in between the two cutouts on the slide. The slide would absolutely not go forward and would not move back far enough to use the stop cutout, either. Looking up the magazine well, I could see that the stop pin was not in the barrel lug. I tried everything under the sun to move it without undue force. Finally, I inserted an empty magazine and that let the slide move back far enough to let the crescent shaped bit on the slide stop pin clear the stop cutout. I was able to pry it out with my fingers and get the slide off.

I don't know anthing about the internal workings of the slide and the relationship with the magazine. I'm just glad it worked! I want to add that I did all this without using any tools on the gun. The gun is undamaged, but my hands are shredded."

I think the magazine induced some barrel movement (up/forward?) that allowed the slide to move a little further forward.Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thank you! That was so ridiculously easy, I am a little disappointed they didn't recommend it when I called customer service.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk