Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Post!

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    ...I have more sea stories than I can possibly tell in a life time.
    Any of you non-Naval service folks know what the difference is between a "Sea Story" and a "Fairy Tale"?
    Semper Fi,
    Greg

Uh, oh... an affront to the Air Force??

Good deal, Popeye! Thanks for your service and continued service!

Thanks to all of you for your service to our nation!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Any of you non-Naval service folks know what the difference is between a "Sea Story" and a "Fairy Tale"?
    Semper Fi,
    Greg
    Not a clue but I can't wait to hear what it is.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'll bet it's the difference between Sea Stories and USAF "War Stories"! I think that I've heard that before. My best buddy here is ex-Navy... from the 60's... carrier and Gitmo duty.

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Not a clue but I can't wait to hear what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    I'll bet it's the difference between Sea Stories and USAF "War Stories"! I think that I've heard that before. My best buddy here is ex-Navy... from the 60's... carrier and Gitmo duty.

Wynn
    Probably so Wynn.

Bawanna,
    The USMC version is:
    A fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time...". The sea story starts off with "Now, this is no sh!t..." (the Navy's version, at least as I've heard it, is "Now, there I was...")
    Regards,
    Greg

Oh, yeah! I forgot that one! I've heard that quite a few times!

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I don't belong in this sub forum but not because I didn't try. Now this is no sh!t.

Fresh out of High School I decided I wanted to go do my patriotic duty. My first choice was to follow my dad and join the Marines. He got drafted but I wanted to go by choice.
    Even then I didn't hear too good, was color blind and was a little guy which I don't think meant a whole lot. This was towards the end of Nam and things were kind of in flux. They didn't really need guys so they could be a bit choosy.
    Well I failed the physical for the Marines and then the Army. They told me to try the Navy which I didn't relish as I get sea sick, don't like salt water much and not nuts about boats although the bigger the better.
    A buddy wanted to do the Navy on the so called buddy program so I signed up.

I went down for the physical where they found I was color blind, got to where they put you in a little tank thing for the hearing test, I think there was about 12 or 15 of us at a time. You go in, sit at a console in the dark and push the button when you hear the tone. I know I'm weak in this area so I'm totally dialed in on listening intently for that damn tone.
    I'm going along just fine when suddenly the door flies open letting in the light, destroying night vision. I was grabbed from behind in a choke hold ripping me out of my chair, tearing the head set off, drug backwards out of the chamber bounced off every hard surface we passed.
    Outside amidst a gathering crowd I was thrown to the ground and pummeled by a very large navy dude overseeing the test.
    We're not talking patty cake here either two severely blacken eyes, bloody nose, cracked lips, loose teeth.
    I thought well I've had enough of the this so I started fighting back, not a good plan.
    Anyhow after probably 10 seconds which seemed like 2 hours a couple guys pull the guy off me and tell him that he grabbed the wrong guy. Apparently the guy next to me, a long haired hippie type as I recall was playing games and just hitting the button randomly which apparently didn't set well with my dude.
    So I end up with the same navy doc who was doing some of the examination stuff before patching me up, staunching the blood flow and a couple aspirin or something.

Next I'm in some commanding type persons office in my skivvy's. Super nice guy, very apologetic. Explained that I did not pass but in the event of an ongoing war or new war to come back, he would see to it that I was inducted. He also explained that this was good for me since if I was accepted I would have to go straight to the brig for striking a superior officer. I explained that I was a civilian so I didn't think that applied but he didn't see it that way. He was nice totally just covering my backside.
    The dude that pummeled me was brought in and he turned out to be a nice guy too, just sick of punks playing with him and he apologized profusely for grabbing the wrong guy who incidently my buddy said got pummeled as well while I was getting fixed up.

So needless to say I already had enough of the Navy at that point. My buddy did get in and told me a 100 times how lucky I was to get my battles done in one morning and not making it in.

I tried to get into the Marines a few years later again without success and told the recruiter about my experience, he got a good chuckle out of it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Probably so Wynn.

Bawanna,
    The USMC version is:
    A fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time...". The sea story starts off with "Now, this is no sh!t..." (the Navy's version, at least as I've heard it, is "Now, there I was...")
    Regards,
    Greg
    I, and many other folks I've served with, always start out, "Now, this is a no sh!tter..." If a sea story starts with either one, you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    No real dramatic story. Was drafted in December 1965 had a couple days to join the branch of the service I wanted to join. If I chose none it was the Army. Now I knew even as a small child if I ever went in the service it would be the Navy. Ships and the ocean just works for me. Rice patties not so much.
    So I joined the navy and pretty much got lied to. As I was told I'd be going to school to learn to be a jet mechanic. Alway was a motorhead in my younger years so I figured I'd learn a trade. Yea Right. Went to boot camp in the great lakes in January of 66 and pretty much froze my family jewels off like everybody else. It was there I learned I'd be going to Sub School in New London Conn. I thought WTF jet engines to Subs? I wasn't to thrilled about hearing this but went anyway. Some part of the way through Sub School I informed them that this was not my idea of a good time. Actually it sucked big time at best. World war II pig Boats stink and nuke boats was another two year commitment, and that was not going to happen. So they thought it would be nice that if I didn't like to be on a sub I might like to go to Keflavic Iceland and watch Russian subs for a year.
    I was told there was a hot Nordic girl behind every tree. This really appealed to me a great deal. I like women, I like them so much I even married one. Only problem was when the plane landed in the land of frost and fire I quickly learn there is not a tree in Keflavic or Rekavic that is much bigger then your average tomato plant.
    So I worked on unloading cargo planes. The good part out of doing this I managed to get quite a few drivers licenses,and was able to drive quite a bit of Navy equipment. Which meant I was in the cab of a nice warm truck, forklift, K loader or any number of pieces of equipment. There were other benifits to but we won't get into that as somethings are left unsaid.

Flash foward a year and being that I still had some Sub experience the navy finally decided they F'd me over enough and decided to send me to Key west Fla. aboard the USS Bushnell AS 15 (which we lovingly refered to as the Burning Bush). It was a Sub Tender and was known to catch fire quite often. Key West really appealed to me a great deal after a year a in the land of the midnight sun.
    We worked hard on the ship as there was always subs that needed attending to and my duty station was on the boat deck. Where we kept and maintained the small boats. In port my watch was at the top of the gangblank where we were armed with a colt 1911. In reality all it did was make me the first target for anyone who was up to no good. I'm sure a 12 year old with a decent bolt action rifle could have picked me off with no problem from a block and a half away. It did create my love for the 1911 though that still lasts to this day. As I mentioned We did alot on that ship to keep those subs supplied with food, fuel, and repairs, and saw a few places along the way while doing it. Bottom line when my 4 years was all said and done I liked the navy. Not enough to renlist but I liked it. Things were not always great, but man I met a lot of great people and saw and did some things I never would have gotten a chance to do otherwise. Oh and before I forget, them girls that I heard were in Iceland. Well I learned they all hanged in Key west in the 60's. I'm proud to have served my country even though I did have it pretty good. Absolutely no regrets.

When 911 came along I wished I could have gone back in except this time I'm sure if they would have let me it I would have been a Sea Bee this time because of my construction background.

Anyhow being that I'm to old and they no longer want me,and I own a Harley, I joined a group of riders called the Patriot Guard riders. We bring our current warriors home to there families or to there final resting place if that is what's called for.
    Still feeling that I had more to give in the way of service to the country and it vets. I learned about a new National Cemetery in my area. I joined a group of dedicated vets who perform the rifle salutes at all internments using M1 Garands in all sorts of weather conditions. I have been doing this every Thursday and sometimes more for the last 3 years. This I really enjoy doing as I'm a firm believer that every vet who ever served this great country should be layed to rest in a proper military manner. I am proud to say that no Vet who has ever been on there final mission, and been layed to rest at the Washing Crossing National Cemetery has gone with out proper military honors by the military and the Guardians of the national cemetery Honor Guard.
    Sorry if I got a little long winded. It happens when I look back on my military days, and sevice to the country and it Vets and current warriors.

May god bless all who have served, and continue to serve. .....Popeye US NAVY..66-69
    I never met a sewer pipe sailor who didn't b!tch. For that matter I never met a sailor who didn't b!tch. It's how you knew they were happy. Glad you were a part of this man's Navy.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I don't belong in this sub forum but not because I didn't try. Now this is no sh!t.

Fresh out of High School I decided I wanted to go do my patriotic duty. My first choice was to follow my dad and join the Marines. He got drafted but I wanted to go by choice.
    Even then I didn't hear too good, was color blind and was a little guy which I don't think meant a whole lot. This was towards the end of Nam and things were kind of in flux. They didn't really need guys so they could be a bit choosy.
    Well I failed the physical for the Marines and then the Army. They told me to try the Navy which I didn't relish as I get sea sick, don't like salt water much and not nuts about boats although the bigger the better.
    A buddy wanted to do the Navy on the so called buddy program so I signed up.

I went down for the physical where they found I was color blind, got to where they put you in a little tank thing for the hearing test, I think there was about 12 or 15 of us at a time. You go in, sit at a console in the dark and push the button when you hear the tone. I know I'm weak in this area so I'm totally dialed in on listening intently for that damn tone.
    I'm going along just fine when suddenly the door flies open letting in the light, destroying night vision. I was grabbed from behind in a choke hold ripping me out of my chair, tearing the head set off, drug backwards out of the chamber bounced off every hard surface we passed.
    Outside amidst a gathering crowd I was thrown to the ground and pummeled by a very large navy dude overseeing the test.
    We're not talking patty cake here either two severely blacken eyes, bloody nose, cracked lips, loose teeth.
    I thought well I've had enough of the this so I started fighting back, not a good plan.
    Anyhow after probably 10 seconds which seemed like 2 hours a couple guys pull the guy off me and tell him that he grabbed the wrong guy. Apparently the guy next to me, a long haired hippie type as I recall was playing games and just hitting the button randomly which apparently didn't set well with my dude.
    So I end up with the same navy doc who was doing some of the examination stuff before patching me up, staunching the blood flow and a couple aspirin or something.

Next I'm in some commanding type persons office in my skivvy's. Super nice guy, very apologetic. Explained that I did not pass but in the event of an ongoing war or new war to come back, he would see to it that I was inducted. He also explained that this was good for me since if I was accepted I would have to go straight to the brig for striking a superior officer. I explained that I was a civilian so I didn't think that applied but he didn't see it that way. He was nice totally just covering my backside.
    The dude that pummeled me was brought in and he turned out to be a nice guy too, just sick of punks playing with him and he apologized profusely for grabbing the wrong guy who incidently my buddy said got pummeled as well while I was getting fixed up.

So needless to say I already had enough of the Navy at that point. My buddy did get in and told me a 100 times how lucky I was to get my battles done in one morning and not making it in.

I tried to get into the Marines a few years later again without success and told the recruiter about my experience, he got a good chuckle out of it.
    You may not have gotten in Bawanna, but not for lack of trying. As far as I'm concerned you made it. Now we just have to change your title to Admiral.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380