Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Post!

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Any of you non-Naval service folks know what the difference is between a "Sea Story" and a "Fairy Tale"?
    Semper Fi,
    Greg
    We had a saying in the navy Greg. You can always tell a Marine, but you can't tell 'em much. Semper Fi.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I really wanted to be a Marine, even thought of doing the Navy as a medic and getting attached to the Marines but about 2 seconds thought brought me back to my senses. I'm a fighter not a healer.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Navy Combat Corpsman (89-93) Fleet Marine Force.

Now here I am 20 years later, a nurse working in a jail. Don't think I could handle the sanitary hospital setting.

(semper-fi)

I'm a retired from the Navy after 26+ years duty in the Supply Corps. Had ship tours on a submarine, an aircraft carrier and an aviation capable amphibious ship which carried a whole bunch of Marines with their fun stuff. I am a Trusty Shellback, yee landlubbers. Did Japan tours twice, sailed most of the oceans and was stationed in every corner of the US. I do know the only difference between a Sea Story and a Fairy Tale (one begins with "This is no $#!+"). Most of my sea stories are pretty tame, although on the sub we did have flooding called away while at test depth twice. Now enjoying the beautiful sunny Puget Sound area of western Washington, my favorite place to live in the US.

Bob: I know this is a long shot but I had a friend stationed out there in 90-91 maybe longer, was also in supply, name Scott Meyers. He was Air Force before the Navy, wife and 2 boys. I have been looking for him since that time. Any chance you know him?

USMC, joined the FMF as an 1171 then two weeks later got FAP'd to the Armory, three weeks later I was doing work ups to head out on the 22'nd MEU. That's how I got my trip to Bosnia, and Norway. Damaged the left shoulder after I got back, spent the rest of my time at Cherry Pit, and left. Had the shoulder finally fixed in '08 after 7 1/2 years of bad. It was good and not so much sometimes. Still miss it, that's why I went through the academy and am trying to get into law enforcement.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

The new military:

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Bootlegger, sorry his name does not ring any bells.
    Bob

8 1/2 years in the Navy, '02 to '11. 8 DAYS sea time. My deployment uniforms were desert camo, not blue coveralls. Been south of the equator a few times, still a 'wog... Made AE1 (E-6) before I ever stepped foot on a real ship. Missed the births of both my sons, deployed six weeks after my daughter was born. Had some good times but I doubt my marriage could have survived another twelve years of that life. I know my parents' didn't (Dad's retired AF). Happily using my GI Bill benefits at The Citadel and taking care of my kids while my RN wife works the 12 hour shifts, God bless her.

I miss it sometimes, but it's not too hard to remember the BS and be happy as a veteran too. I would be on the Stennis right now if I had re-upped. She deployed in August after just getting back last March, not due home again until the end of March this year. The Navy's downsizing makes it extra rough on those who are able and choose to stay in, and especially their families. I thank God for each and every one of them.

My Dad was drafted in WWII and stayed in after the war to make a career of it. So my story starts in 1946 in Ft. Benning, GA, where I was born. As an Army brat I lived mostly at Ft. Bragg, NC, with side trips to Panama for grades 3-5 and to Okinawa for grades to 9-10. My Dad retired from Active duty as a Major the year I graduated from high school.

I then went to West Point and graduated in 1969. Following that I went to Airborne school and then Berlin, Germany, before heading to Vietnam. After Nam I qualified for the Special Forces, but eventually resigned my commission after fulfilling my obligation. Just prior to leaving the Army I came to faith in Jesus Christ which is partly why I felt led get out.

I eventually went to seminary in Dallas, TX, to study for the ministry. After that I worked in corporate America for a while and then took a church up in Bangor, ME. While in Maine I joined the National Guard as a Chaplain and served 17 years there. I rose to become the State Chaplain and retired from the Guard as a full bird.

We left Maine and moved to England for three years, and now I'm pastoring a church in Rockville, CT. God and the military have been good to me my whole life. Thanks for the opportunity to share my story.