Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking in CM9 with Reloads?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Breaking in CM9 with Reloads?

Hi everyone!

Just joined the forum after having lurked for a month or so....Proud owner of a new CM9 that I bought myself as a Christmas gift "from the wifey." Gotta love picking out your own gifts! haha

Anyway, I've been working on the break-in process and have just been racking and dry firing for about a week after initial cleaning and prep. No rounds fired yet.

My question for you all is what is the consensus on using reloaded FMJ to get through the 200 round suggested break in process? I can't find 9mm factory ammo ANYWHERE and I'm dying to shoot this little gun, but obviously don't want to cause any potential damage using a reload. Assuming everything is done correctly with the loaded round though, wouldn't it be just as good as a factory round for breaking in the gun?

Just wanted to get some other opinions! Thanks for the help!

Hornady 124 grain FMJ in case anyone is curious...

Just be aware that reloaded ammo can void your warranty.

Thanks Warbird. Curious if anyone out there has actually been through the break in with reloads and if it made any difference in their opinion?

It's best if you use reputable factory ammo, so you don't have any question about the ammo being at fault. If you have problems, how will you be sure it wasn't some out of tolerance reloads... too strong, too weak, too long, too short, or any combination of shortcomings. We see all kinds of these problems. You want to break the pistol in with uniformly consistent ammo... new ammo.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Here is my second opinion. Everyone should get a second opinion. If you are an experianced reloader or your ammo is loaded by an experianced reloader, there is no reason why you can not use reloads for your break in process. Keep in mind that the loads need to be at least medium loads because minimun loads will not cycle a new gun with reliability. So try 25 and if they all cycle the gun without any FTF or FTE, you should be good to go for the 200 round break-in.

Disclaimer, if you are buying reloads from an unknown source, stick with factory ammo as stated by previous posters. Don't use +P or +P+ ammo for break-in.

Welcome from North Dakota
    I'll admit---I'm trigger happy

The first round through my PM40 was a reload from 1996, followed by many more. No failures. 155gr Rainier plated, 6gr ww231. I wouldn't suggest shooting lead bullet reloads in a new gun. You would most likely have a leading problem in a new barrel.

Thanks for the help everyone! Wynn, I agree with what you're saying about not knowing if the ammo is at fault or the gun if there are malfunctions, and being that I'm still relatively new to reloading, I'm not sure I want to take that risk with a new gun. The only problem is I can't find factory ammo anywhere (at least not at a price I'm willing to pay), so I guess I'll just have to wait a bit to get this gun broken in.

Drew, how long have you been reloading and how many of those reloads have been fired in other guns? If you have a 9mm load established that you are using in a different handgun, then give us the info on the load. What bullet with weight, powder with amount of grains in the charge,
    measurement of overall cartridge length when completed. Maybe we can tell you if it is a safe load. Have you had any failures with the ammo you have already loaded? Give us some history of your reloading experiance.