Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conceled carry laws in your state?

Default Conceled carry laws in your state?

What is the conceled carry law in your state and what is the process to get your permit issued?

California is a "may carry" state. It is up to your local Sheriff to issue the permit. Most small rural counties are not a problem to get a Conceled Weapons Permit, but the larger counties haven't issued them in years. One county hasn't issued a single CWP in over 70 years.

Where I live you must pass a 4 hour class and qualify with the weapons you want on your permit and go through the fingerprinting process. Our Sheriff has just upped it to 4 guns on ther permit.

I was in Reno a couple of weeks ago for a gun show and learned the following. My CA CWP is not reconized in Nevada. If I take an 8 hour class in Nevada I then can get a Nevada, Utah and Florida Conceled Weapons Permit. As a non-resident of Nevada the Nevada CWP is not recognized, but the Utah CWP would allow me to carry in Nevada. How much sense does that make?

I too live in California and have a CCW permit. I have an out of state Utah permit. The last I heard (as of two months ago) is that Nevada no longer recognizes the Utah permit. Am I missing something?

Zippo Guy: nice handle. I've been a collector of those lighters for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo Guy View Post
    How much sense does that make?
    Just remember, it doesn't have to make sense, it's just the law.

FYI: http://www.Handgunlaw.us is a great source for state information on CC.

Default Michigan

I live in Michigan and the laws are pretty simple here. You take an 8 hour course, shoot 100 rounds and you get your ccw. You can carry as many weapons as you want, your not limited to the one you qualified with. In my home town of 1,500 people there are over 400 ccw's issued. They are easy to get as long as you don't have a felony record. One other difference that suprises me is we can carry in a bar as long as they serve food. I think a lot of states frown on that.

Texas Concealed Handgun Association

www.TexasCHLforum.com

You'd think with a Federal and (Your) State background..... we would be

authorized to carry... every where.

Mac
    "Hooha" (US Army / Retired) www.centexpgr.org
    Kahrtalk.com, www.TexasCHLforum.com, www.txchia.org, VFW, NRA, GWRRA, AMA,
    Kahr CW40, Spg. XD .45, SKS Yugo M59. S&W 22a, Mossberg 500 12 ga. Canon 40D.

NY will issue a CCW but it will be restricted to hunting and target practice. With justification or proof of training that can be updated to no restrictions but it requires a letter to the judge. They have extensive background checks including mental health checks and it is a very high cost and a very long wait to get one. You need to provide references and they do contact the names you provide. There is no limit on the number of guns but each and every one needs to be added to your permit by the sheriff. NY does not honer any other states permit so hence very few states will honor NY. Upstate NY permit is not valid in NYC, but I never want to go there anyway Makes it tough if you want to relocate for work. I'm going to end up getting an out of state permit from Utah or Fla to open up options to transfer with work. There is an instructor that hold classes for both states in my area. I'm signed up for the "upgrade" class in oct. I've had my restricted permit for almost 20 years and have moved it to 3 different counties.

Matt and zippo guy, I have heard my P22 is on CA ban list due to the threaded barrel.. crazy

Colorado -- shall issue -- local county sheriff -- with a few exceptions basic training required -- background check -- about $150 max for initial 5 year issue, less on renewal -- permit not gun specific.

There are at least five states I will not live in in this country anymore -- MA/NY/NJ/IL/CA

Oregon C.H.L. , similar to Colorado, 3 hr basic training with test, county sheriff application & approval, background check, finger print, no felony, no misdemeanors in last four years, no gun restrictions, approx $150.00, 4 years. Each city and county here has their own C.C. laws.

gontomt Guest

Default Montana

Montana is a "Shall Issue" state, requireing a full Federal Background check and at least Hunter Safety course. Issued by County Sheriff, but valid in entire State One can carry a sidearm without a permit so long as the weapon is in full view, or concealed without a permit in rural areas during "Outdoor Activities" (e.g. hunting, hiking, mountainbiking, skiing, etc. - We have cayotes, rattlesnakes, mountain lions, and bears here!). One can carry concealed anywhere with a permit except in certain municipalities (such as they are!) like Helena (the Capitol), bars, schools, banks and government buildings. Anyone who can legally own a gun can, without a permit, have them in their house, apartment, or vehicle (90% of all do just that).

Montana recognizes any state CCW permit issued by a state requiring a full Fed background check, as do some other states recognize ours for the same reason.

There is very little in the way of burglary, car-jacking, or road-rage here, partly because of the "90%" statistic mentioned above.