Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P380 striker prevents chambering...

Default P380 striker prevents chambering...

First post here... Also on the road so I can't do a thorough search. I have a PM9 and p380. The p380 is brand new. Cleaned, lubed, etc per this site. I put approx 150 rounds through the p380 today. Lots of FTF due to what looked like to me the striker protruding from the channel about 1 mm. This was catching the base of the round and jamming the gun. After freeing the round by dropping the mag, I could push the striker back in with my finger. Then it would recur a few rounds later. This happened when chambering a round 'Kahr Style' or attempting to rack the slide. So, I thought cleanliness was the problem, field stripped it, full clean and lube, then tried to cycle some round through. Same intermittent problem. Seeing the stricker sticking out like that scares me a bit. Also had the gun begin to not return to full battery during shooting. I think the gun was getting dirty. FMJ rem ammo. BTW, the PM9 has never had a hiccup through 250 rds.
    Thanks for you help!

Assuming mk.k9 & mk40 striker assembly is the same as yours it goes back & forward with no resistance (free floating). When I dryfire & rack the slide back to lock the firing pin can be forward or back. During firing I would think the inertia from recoil would make the pin slide back. I tried with the firing pin forward slowly racking a round into the chamber & the pin did not hinder it. One would think if the pin did catch on a round that it might break or bend the pin.

I don't have my manual handy but I think there is a page devoted to this exact problem. The gun needs to be disassembled and checked. Check Owners manual for instructions.

It may be something to do with size of the gun ( micro). My 9 doesn't do this. I sprayed a whole can if brake clean in and around the channel. I may detail strip and see... I have noticed the machining of my p380 is not as refined... Don't know why

Word for word from the manual. "Checking Safety Devices"

The following safety check is to be carried out at regular intervals and before the pistol is used.
    With the slide removed and the barrel dismantled, the stricker is drawn back manually about 1/4 inch and then eased forward again. The tip of the Striker must not project beyond the breech face of the slide.

Note: When easing the Striker forward, be careful not to depress the striker block which sits next to the striker. If it is depressed during the safety check, it will allow the Striker to project beyon the breach face.

My take on this is it could cause a negligent discharge when chambering a round, or if the gun is dropped, however the info does not say that. The striker safety block is an important passive safety to prevent the striker from hitting the primer.

The firing mechanism is the same across the entire line of models.

The striker is more or less free floating, and additionally it uses inertia to fire the cartridges.

Explained: The striker contains the striker spacer, which serves as the forward retainer for the striker spring. The striker also incorporates an engagement surface which interacts with the cocking cam.

As the slide moves forward, propelled by the recoil spring, at a certain point in the slides forward travel, the striker remains stationary due to the engagement of the mating surfaces on the striker and the cocking cam. The slide will continue to move forward into battery, and the striker spring is partially tensioned.

When the trigger is pulled, the cocking cam rotates, the striker is drawn rearward by the engaging surface on the cocking cam, and additional spring tension is placed upon the striker because of its rearward movement. As the cocking cam rotates further, its engaging surface begins to separate from the corresponding surface on the striker and with further cocking cam rotation, the striker is released to propel forward under spring tension.

When the striker is nearly fully forward, the striker spacer, which is being pushed by the striker spring, is halted in its forward movement by a constriction in the striker channel. The striker itself is then free to move forward via inertia, and its nose is able to strike the primer, firing the cartridge.

The striker is free floating for a small amount of travel during recoil, and rearward motion of the slide, until the mating surfaces on the striker and cocking cam re-engage. Re-engagement is possible because the trigger bar has disconnected from the cocking cam, and allowed it to rotate back to its original position.

~~~

I'd like to see a picture, but it sounds like you have a cocking cam issue.

Remove the slide from the frame. Make sure the cocking cam's action is snappy when you pull the trigger and manually "disconnect" the trigger bar. There may be some flashing and/or gunk that is preventing snappy operation, which would prevent it from recapturing the striker.

Quote Originally Posted by kerby9mm View Post
    Assuming mk.k9 & mk40 striker assembly is the same as yours it goes back & forward with no resistance (free floating). When I dryfire & rack the slide back to lock the firing pin can be forward or back. During firing I would think the inertia from recoil would make the pin slide back. I tried with the firing pin forward slowly racking a round into the chamber & the pin did not hinder it. One would think if the pin did catch on a round that it might break or bend the pin.
    Kerby, you need to do this safety check on your gun too!

Just be careful which type on break cleaner you use. One that should be okay is NAPA #m (black can) high pressure non cholorinated brake spray cleaner.

I have seen damage done to finishes and some plastic parts with the wrong stuff.

I have a Kahr P380 and a PM9 too. I had to break in the P380 and it works well as long as the ammo is well made. Some of the cheap stuff is weak and inconsistent.

The most common reasons I see when the slide fails to go fully into battery is a weak grasp, thumb rubbing on the slide, maybe a bad magazine, slightly larger cases, dirty gun or a weak recoil spring. Others may know other causes. I think the Kahr chambers are more on the tight side.

The smaller the guns get, the less forgiving they are.

Thanks for the replies!!! I read and re- read the manual on the safety check and referred to it at the range. The manual doesn't say how to proceed. I just pushed the stricker back with my finger but I was wary. I'll get a picture tonight and post it.
    I did th

Maybe it was the brass? I will re-redo the safety check and pay particular attention to the stricker block. Brakeclean non-Cl used.
    Thanks again