Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K40 Covert range report

Default K40 Covert range report

I bought a k40 covert last Saturday and finally got to take it to the range today. I owned a k40 previously and have always regretting selling it, so I was stoked about this one, especially with the shorter grip. The pistol was made in July of '98 but it is in excellent condition.

I shot 210 rounds: 50 Blazer brass 180 gr. FMJ, 50 Remington UMC 180 gr. FMJ, 50 RWS 180 gr. FMJ, 50 Federal 135 gr. HP and 10 Speer 165gr. GDHP.

I shot at 7 and 15 yards and just like my old k40 the covert is plenty accurate. I didn't measure groups but most of my shots stayed in an area the size of my hand. When more people got on the range I went over to the steel plate range and shot steel which was a lot of fun. The k40 has that old familiar .40 in a small gun recoil but it's manageable. The RWS is HOT! So was the Speer GDHP.

Most importantly, no malfunctions of any kind! I think I'll hang on to this one.

WOW A k40 COVERT, HOWaout some photos. u just don't see the steel coverts floating around, U ade anice buy no matter what u paid. U can always port it and make it more maneageable. nice report..I would surmise ur K40 has the great rubber grips on them also. They are IMO the best grips kahrs ever stopped puttingon their steel guns.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Unfortunately, my covert has the harder plastic grips. That's something I'll have to remedy. My internet access is primarily through my phone right now. If I can find a way to post pictures, I will. Yeah, it's really nice. I was lucky to find it and in great condition at that.

I don't find the recoil uncomfortable or painful but it is stout. However, the combination of the recoil and the constant loading of those really stiff mags can be hard on the hands. I have thought about magna porting it so that I could have a better follow up shot. .40 has been my go to cartridge for years so I'm comfy with it.

Great little pistol, I have one in the safe, haven't seen it in a while. I may go look now! Congrats.

Yeah, it's an awesome pistol in every respect and not easy to find. The firearms are the ones that you like so much that you want to put rounds them and become best friends with them. That's how I feel about the Covert. Many shooter find the weight of the steel Kahrs objectionable but I like it. It takes recoil and just feels reassuring. I paid $600 for the pistol, the original box, an extended mag as well as the flush fitting mag and the original literature. I talked the salesman down from $650. I don't think I got an amazing deal nor do I think I paid too much. I think it was fair.

Give your Covert some attention. You both deserve it. Cheers!

I think you got a real fair deal on a collectable shooter. Mine's just a little heavy for me. Mine is polished and looks really cool that way!

So in my ongoing quest for Kahr lore...

The only "covert" models I've heard of are polymer frames that have been sawed off to be equivalent to a smaller model (i.e. cut down a CW9 to the size of a PM9). How is a K40 covert different from a standard K40? Just a shorter grip, or is the barrel shorter as well? I'm assuming that this was a model made before the MK40 came out. Enlighten me oh wise ones of Kahr!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I love my COUNTRY...but I don't trust my GOVERNMENT.

shorter grip.

If u don't post us a photo soon, some here might have a stroke . Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Default afterI

Quote Originally Posted by queevil View Post
    Unfortunately, my covert has the harder plastic grips. That's something I'll have to remedy. My internet access is primarily through my phone right now. If I can find a way to post pictures, I will. Yeah, it's really nice. I was lucky to find it and in great condition at that.
    posted that I realized kahr would have had to have made grips to fit the covert and the polymer grips were into play around that time. Nuttin wrong with them. forget about looking for grips for that covert. I doubt if u will find any of anything. they didn'tmake alot of steel coverts.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY