Sorry that this is a bit of a long story, so here goes:

I currently own a P45, serial number SA4003. Looking in the Serial number breakdown in the tech forum, I'm guessing I got the gun somewhere in 2006. I can't remember for sure, even though I bought it brand new. I can't for the life of me find the original receipt.

I bought the gun and immediately put around 150 rounds through it to get the break-in process started. Other than the last shell getting stuck in the lips of the magazine during ejection (I have just found the fix for that on this forum) the gun operated flawlessly.

When purchased, it had the standard combat sites. Within a few months, I ordered the Trijicon nite sites from the Kahr site. Therein lies the problem.

I ran an additional 50 rounds through the gun to finish breaking in after the new sites were installed. I did notice that it was shooting low, but I attributed it to being very cold and me not taking my time while shooting (was in my back yard). I basically wanted to finish full break in so I would feel comfortable carrying with my CCW license.

I've carried it off and on alternating with my .380 Colt Pony Pocketlite and my Charter Arms .38 snubnose.

Fast forward to last week. Decided to do some long needed practice with my P45. My brother and my Dad both came over as well. I don't have a lot of experience shooting, nor does my brother. My dad, however, is a Vietnam Vet and has lots of experience with many different firearms, both rifle and pistol.

So, I line up to my target from 30' away and fire first round. Low. By a lot. I'm talking over a foot low. From only 30'. I proceded to really line things up and finish the mag. All low. Very low. And I'm confident I'm not pulling, jerking, lunging, etc. Hand the gun to my brother and he does the same thing. He tries to hold over and finally gets the rounds up. Dad does the same thing, shooting way consistantly lower. Used 4 different kinds of ammo and the same results. My target was approximately 7" off the ground, and it was digging trenches a good 8" in front of the target. Yes, you heard right. I wasn't even hitting the friggin 8.5x11 target. Moved in to 15'. Still shooting way low. Barely catching the bottom of the 8.5x11.

I'm mystified. Never had this problem before. Then it occurred to me I hadn't shot the gun with the new sites. Could the Trijicon sites be out of spec?

Looking at the Kahr website, it seems you are supposed to tell the difference between the "new style" and "old style" slide by a machined dimple on the bottom of the slide. According the that, my gun has the old style slide. HOWEVER, it says below that, "all 45 acp have the new style slide". Hmm. So which ones do I have, or which ones did I order?

I do remember checking for the machined dimple on the bottom of the slide. However, I don't remember the part about the 45 acp all being new style.

I have taken my caliper and measured the stock sites vs. the trijicon. From what I can tell, both front and rear sites are practically the same height. However, the dot on the front site is a bit lower than the other. I'm talking less than 1 mm. I'll be happy to take a pic of my drawn out dimensions if anyone wants to see.

So, finally, here are my questions:

1. Are the dovetails common between the old style and new style slides, or are they different sizes?
2. And thusly, could it have been possible that I have the wrong sites?
3. Anyone ever heard of the wrong sites being installed?
4. Could kahr simply have sent me the wrong sites?

At this point, I'm leaning toward having the trijicons removed and the original ones put back on.

I'm open to any and all thoughts, questions, and suggestions. Fire away (pun intended).

Sorry for the book, but wanted to give as much information as I could.

Thanks!
Richard