Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P45 Sights problem (long)

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I always thought the kahr 454 had the new style dovetail on them. The dimple I also thought was used more on the K series kahrs as that was their first gun they made and back then it hadthe old style dovetail. I know we see this dimple on PM9' as I have to of them, with dimples.

I do believe all kahr 45 have the new style dovetail, but I have never read where the old style sighs will fit in the newdovetails or vice versa either. Nodoubt kahr could have sent the wrong sites, but again not sure they should have went in the 45 dovetail either. I also was not sure that the old style sights and the new style sights were of any height difference either, jus tthe dovetals are different. I am sure GB6491 can answer that to
    Exactly what I'm wondering as well. I don't know what the difference is in teh dovetail. Is it depth of cut, or is it simply wider? If depth of cut then that would certainly affect things. If simply wider then that shouldn't make a difference. I have no idea if the old vs new will fit each other.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    To correct for that much error (6") at 7 yards would require an additional .125" difference in height between the sights.

FWIW: My CW45 shoots right to it's sights (Trijicons).
    The rear sight is .250" tall from dovetail bottom to top of the sight.
    The front sight post is .180" tall from top of the slide to top of the sight.

From the OP's post:
    "Here are the dimensions I do know:
    Original Trijicon
    Total overall height FRONT: 5.75mm 5.69mm
    Total overall height REAR: 6.33mm 6.39mm

Height of notch REAR: 2.29mm 2.24mm

Height of post Front: 4.4mm 4.27mm"

That would work out to:
    Rear (6.39mm) 251"
    Front post (4.27mm) .168"

My CW45 would shoot about three quarters of an inch higher at 10 yds. with the OP's sights.

Regards,
    Greg
    Yeah, I was using that calculator playing with numbers last night as well. The sights would have to be significantly different in height to incur as much error as I am getting. And that difference simply isn't there. But the shooting low definitely is. And three different people were using the gun. I'll say this, though. The front post trijicon - the dot is dropped down some compared to the stock front site. It may be that it isn't a single thing throwing off the aim, possibly a combination of just a tick here and just a tick there, and when you add them all up it equals the error?

I'm going to break it down and look everything over again, clean everything really well and lube it back up. Then do a bit more testing. Something isn't quite adding up here. Might even take a few pix when broken down just so you guys can see if there is anything obvious I'm missing. I did notice some rough plastic inside the polymer. If holding polymer assembly in right hand, no slide on it - back right corner just below slide seemed to be rough/sliced looking. Not sure what that is but I'll see if I can snap a pic of it worth showing.

the kahr webb sight shows the old style and new style dovetaisl and it looks to me like neither one iwll interchange. The old style certainly looks like a much wider base dovetail cut. Ucan pull the photo up to see it to. It also says all 45 take the new style to.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra2771 View Post
    Exactly what I'm wondering as well. I don't know what the difference is in teh dovetail. Is it depth of cut, or is it simply wider? If depth of cut then that would certainly affect things. If simply wider then that shouldn't make a difference. I have no idea if the old vs new will fit each other....
    The older dovetail is cut at a different angle, is wider, and appears slightly deeper.
    Here's a comparison of two photos; while certainly not definitive and these are not on a 45, you should be able to get an idea of the differences (old style on the left):

Here's the photo jocko speaketh of:

Regards,
    Greg

andif u notice in GB photo that slide is photoed on a polymer frame, so I was wrong on it being on the K9 only.Maybe the 45's have no dimple
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Yep, agree with both. However, when I ordered I don't recall the bold line about .45acp being new style slide or not.

I think I will give Kahr a call and see if they can tell me if old sites will physically fit new style slide. That should be a start.

Mine is definitely the new style slide. No doubt. Broke it all down tonight. Blew out the striker Channel with cleaner, got some stuff out. Hopefully will solve my shallow primer hits.

Inspected everything really well. Slide stop, guide rod, everything looks flawless, just like a gun with only 250 rounds through it.
    Gave it a good detail cleaning.

Working on hopefully borrowing a laser bore site to see how it matches up my sites. Heck, might just buy one just to have. Any recommendations if I buy one?

Ok. I also have trijicons on my P380. Mepros on the P45. I have a dead front sight for my P380 that is a bit shorter than the 45 front sight. I'm going to try putting the 380 sight on the 45 tomorrow and test fire.
    Interestingly enough, the dot is higher on the post on the 380 vs. the 45 sight. I also have a set of standard PM9 sights (2 actually) and the rears appear the same height. The fronts are much closer than the difference to 380/45 sights. I will also bring that PM9 standard sight along just in case.
    Also note that the rear sights ( trijicons and mepros) on the 380 and 45 respectively appear the same height.
    Will report after test firing.

Keep me informed.

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra2771 View Post
    Yep, agree with both. However, when I ordered I don't recall the bold line about .45acp being new style slide or not.

I think I will give Kahr a call and see if they can tell me if old sites will physically fit new style slide. That should be a start.
    they won;'t fit.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I remember reading someplace on Kahrs web page that all the 45's were made with the new type dovetail. Its there someplace.

You are not shooting a foot low at 30 feet because of the sights. Its not because ot mechanical misalignment in the barrel. It MAY be because of the sight picture, and I wonder if you blacked out the dot on the front, if you'd shoot better.

Or it could be that all three of you are shooting low. This is a very common problem with the Beretta 9mm 92series/m9 pistol. In my range days, I'd experience groups of shooters, all shooting the new Beretta low, when in actuality, it was spot on. It takes a very determined trigger finger and co-ordination to master - like most any other pistol does.

I say, try again.