Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best practical military training you've had?

Default What is the best practical military training you've had?

Lets get a couple of different services represented here.

What's the best types of shooting you've done in military and/or law enforcement training?

does boot camp count???? not to much small arms fire on a submarine.

I always thought our best training in my police academy and continuing training hours came from sims round training on building searches or practical exercises. There is something to be said for having to use your weapon and use it accurately when someone is actually shooting back. Paper targets are very easy to shoot, even with tactical movements and all, but once that target starts moving and thinking it changes the ball game....

I agree with that. The ball game is entirely different. Modern LEO and military training has made enormous strides in that over the last two decades. Many years ago when I had what little shooting training was required to be a reserve police officer, we spent so little time at the range shooting paper only that I think it may have confused many new shooters more than helped. Whatever you do when shooting targets, get lots of ammo and shoot, shoot, shoot the pistol you will carry. Spend time shooting in different ways, at different targets, under different conditions. I have not spent the time I would like shooting competitions, but USPSA and IDPA matches should not be underrated as useful experience for civilian shooters. You get to practice various important skills under stress, and also stress your gear assuming you shoot what you carry. The old adage that if something can go wrong, it will in a match is certainly true based on my limited experience.

John
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

I think the most practical thing I learned in the military was the fact that you can't drink enough 3 percent beer to get a buzz.
    Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Quote Originally Posted by 500KV View Post
    I think the most practical thing I learned in the military was the fact that you can't drink enough 3 percent beer to get a buzz.

I haven't heard that in a loooong time.
    lol

500KV 3.2 Beer ?? Yeah ... just alittle better than water ..!
    The most practical thing I learned in the Military (( after I did it once )) was to NEVER VOLUNTEER !
    The best/worse practical exercise I've ever had with the Military and/or shooting was back in 1966-1967

1 Bn (Airborne Inf.) 12th Cav. ( 1/12 Cav. )
    1st Cav. Div. (An Khe)
    RVN

I to this day, still like tha' M16s (AR15 - BLACK rifles)

Mac
    "Hooha" (US Army / Retired) www.centexpgr.org
    Kahrtalk.com, www.TexasCHLforum.com, www.txchia.org, VFW, NRA, GWRRA, AMA,
    Kahr CW40, Spg. XD .45, SKS Yugo M59. S&W 22a, Mossberg 500 12 ga. Canon 40D.

1966 Lackland AFB. Qualifying with an M-16, needed 60 hits on a target as big as a barn door. My score was 63 (Kid next to me from New Jersey kept shooting my target).

The Navy taught marksmanship on both long and short arms. The Army wasn't concerned with marksmanship, just that you could hit the target. The Army was pretty good a teaching kicking down doors and taking out the bad guys, though.

In bootcamp we shot some sort of rifle, which I forget, and the training was brief. I severely doubt that anyone walked away with anything that would last or help. What I do remember, was how to turn a shirt, pair of dungarees, etc into a float if you find yourself having to tread water for long. I’ve shared that with multiple people over the years. I did do some trading with our Mardet guys when on the “Chucky V” (CVN-70) and got to shoot some floating barrels with a 50. Might not fit in the practical sense, but that was fun I will also always remember! : )