I brought this up in another thread but thought I'd bring it here. Sometime back in the '90s the DoD decided to put together a data base of every active duty service member, and I'll also assume reservist, to be able to identify bodies and body parts due to the nature of what we have faced overseas.

We were told, and to my knowledge this still holds, that our DNA would ONLY be used to identify us providing the worst would happen and we could not be identified by any other means. I believe this to be true up to this point as I haven't heard of any case(s) to the contrary.

I do remember watching some show on TV (I know...) like 20/20 or some such about a female Marine that had been brutally raped on base and murdered. The local LEO's wanted access to the data base to help find the rapist/killer. As much as I felt for the family, I am glad the DoD did not grant them access.

This is not what the data base was put together for. Now...

for those of you that have your DNA in this data base, how comfortable do you feel knowing the US Gov't has it? I don't plan on anyone ever needing my DNA to help solve a case, but I don't have a warm fuzzy knowing this gov't has it.

I wonder if there is a way I can petition the gov't to return or destroy what they have on me? I retired a few years back and have now passed the 30 year mark in which they could have called me back.

No tinfoil hat just yet...