Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood grips dont fit!

Default Wood grips dont fit!

Well i finally coughed up the money to get me some nice wood grips for my MK9. I was a little nervous hearing various reports on others in the forum getting grips that werent fitted properly. But i figured what the heck. Bad decision.

Sure enough i go to screw them on and they dont fit. Seems i have the same problem where it doesnt fit over that tiny bottom tab. So tomorrow im gonna see if my father in law has a dremel that we could shape it with.

It actually pisses me off to be honest that this problem is still occuring when it seems kahr is well known of it. I have read that many ppl have emailed them to let them know of this. But the mk9 im sure is low priorty to them considering i bet like 90% of there sales goes to the poly kahrs.

Anyways thought i would let u guys know. If im not able to get a dremel what would u guys advise? Back to kahr or some other home remedy? Appriciate any comments and advise!
    GLOCK... THE POOR MANS KAHR.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think you can Send them back to Kahr to get fitted, unless they got the gun (or at least the frame). They do say on the grips that fitting may be required, and I believe part of the issue is a design change in the frame?? I have a brand new K9 and wood grips and they fit without a problem, no fitting required.

Default If u

Quote Originally Posted by scotty_MK9 View Post
    Well i finally coughed up the money to get me some nice wood grips for my MK9. I was a little nervous hearing various reports on others in the forum getting grips that werent fitted properly. But i figured what the heck. Bad decision.

Sure enough i go to screw them on and they dont fit. Seems i have the same problem where it doesnt fit over that tiny bottom tab. So tomorrow im gonna see if my father in law has a dremel that we could shape it with.

It actually pisses me off to be honest that this problem is still occuring when it seems kahr is well known of it. I have read that many ppl have emailed them to let them know of this. But the mk9 im sure is low priorty to them considering i bet like 90% of there sales goes to the poly kahrs.

Anyways thought i would let u guys know. If im not able to get a dremel what would u guys advise? Back to kahr or some other home remedy? Appriciate any comments and advise!
    cando the mod then go for it,but don't touch the grips and then think u can send them back. I understand ur cause to. I actually have not read alot about them not fitting so I must have issed some of those posts. But it sounds to me like u feel u can do the mod, so just do it and u will soon forget about this inconvenience.. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Ok, I have had the same problem on my MK9 and fixed it at home with very little work. Kahr could make a very slight modification to correct it at the grip factory. Here is how to do it (no pictures).

1) Take both black grips off.
    2) Hold "one" new wood grip in position and look into the grip area from the other side.
    3) You will be able to see that the bottom screw area needs to be inletted above the screw to allow that frame to fully seat on the wood.
    4) Take a sharp pencil and draw a line on the inside of the grip to outline the area that needs to be inleted deeper so the frame will fit the wood on the wood grip. It only takes about 1/8th inch of wood removal and do not go any deeper into the wood than the existing cutout.
    5) Test fit until it is correct. Then put that side down and do the other side the same way. Once that is done test fit both pieces to make sure the seam at the back is tight all the way from top to bottom. If they fit, you can then screw them onto the gun. Don't screw them on until they fit.
    Kahr could do this to all MK grips without affecting any strength of the grips and save the new owners the problem. This is just a matter if inletting that extra 1/8th inch. They are inletting in there anyway, just expand it.
    My grips are absolutely beautiful and I consider them a work of art.

I had the same problem with mine. ikeo74 is exactly right. All it needs is just a little modification and they will work great! Once you are done, you will forget about all of the problems because the gun will look so good! It also adds to the grip thickness a little. It really makes for a fantastic little shooter that you can't help but admire.

I had the same problem too: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=11

But it only took 20 seconds to fix with the Dremel, and the results are beautiful.

If the Dremel option is not available to you, then see Bawanna's post that immediately followed the one linked above. http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=12
    "Measure twice, cut once. Think twice, speak once."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by QuercusMax View Post
    I had the same problem too: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=11

But it only took 20 seconds to fix with the Dremel, and the results are beautiful.

If the Dremel option is not available to you, then see Bawanna's post that immediately followed the one linked above. http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=12
    Great photos. They show exactly what the problem is and how to fix the problem. Very good, now if Kahr views this post they will know how to fix this before selling the grips. Thanks QuercusMax.

These guys are spot on as usual. I can't emphasize enough making sure they fit before you screw them down.

If you can scribe the line clearly I can certainly remove the wood. I'm still trying to get a late model K and MK so I can whittle grips for these.

This is exactly whats messing me up.

Very easy to do though, an exacto knife alone would do it if you have too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default that was

Quote Originally Posted by QuercusMax View Post

very nice photo work QuercusMax andablindmancouldsee that nod that needed to be done and what little effort it wouldtake also .very nicwwork and nice for a forummember to see the fix in picture forum.

Just to much damn talent onthis forum. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Default I often

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    Great photos. They show exactly what the problem is and how to fix the problem. Very good, now if Kahr views this post they will know how to fix this before selling the grips. Thanks QuercusMax.
    wonder if that tab on the MK mag well frame could be different on the earlier models. We have heard talk about this before.It makes no sense for the grips to beoff that much. And when kahr makes mentionthat sometrimmingmight be needed, it kindatells me that there could be adifference. It woldbe total confusion if they had stock ed both grips to fit the different tabls. Just sayin

althougth if they really wanted to ,they couldphoto the two different MK magwellframesshowing the differentsize tabs and then the propper order number.I would think a blind man could see the difference if both photos were side by side.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY