Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New PM45 on the way

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    I've posted this several times, but whatever holster you're using with the PM9 MAY fit the PM45, as well. I carry my PM45 in the Minituck that I bought for my PM9. There was only the tiniest bit more resistance inserting the PM45. The K9 just drops in. This is when the holster is not being worn. You have more retention the tighter the belt is worn. If I can carry the PM9, I can carry the PM45, which I do, with great satisfaction. Did I say that I love my PM45?
    Wynn
    Anyone else think he might be fond of his PM45. What are the chances that he'll some day lighten up and stop harassing us po boys who don't got no PM45 to love just yet? Probably won't happen and hence my jealousy will continue unfettered. Dang, I'm start to put big ole tecnical words to use in a sentence. I didn't even have to look that one up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

gee wynn, you sure know how to scare a guy!!!

Hey, I was having a little fun and helping, supporting, and encouraging as well. My goal is making the PM45 as popular as and then more than the PM9... DLC, too, of course!

Well, sort of, anyhow. I like the big 230-grain standard round with a high-tech JHP better than a +P loaded 9mm, especially when the differences are about 4 more ounces or so, only about 1/10 inch wider and a bit longer, and one less bullet. I think the big bullet at twice the weight of the standard 115-grain 9mm makes up the difference, especially when I can hit better with the PM45. Bullet placement IS most important! That and the S.E. Grin I'm wearing 'cause I'm holding the most compact and best shooting .45 ACP made! And that I finally have one after hoping about 12 years or more that they would get around to this compact .45!

Wynn (S.E. Grin!)

Jocko, I wouldn't mind trying one with the magnaporting for quicker recovery, but I'm not going to jump into that. I can't imagine my pistol being pierced like that and holes cut in him.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

UM size 12 for quick and short carry.
    CrossBreed Minituck with horsehide(+$10, but finer pore and better resistance to sweat) Check FAQ's for discounts to current NRA members and any LE or Military.

Things to do while you're waiting:

Get a box and some filler and go ahead and fill out a FedEx AirBill so that you'll be ready when FedEx comes to pick it up for the trip back to the factory.

Oh, first check for the defects and make a list. Then email Ian.Burr@kahr.com and include pix.

Things to check for:
    1. Night Sights: see if they work in the dark.
    2. The Notch: see if the notch is machined out in the recoil spring assembly receptacle at the front inside of the slide. If it ain't there, you'll have problems until the spring assembly batters its own "notch" out of the thin metal that isn't supposed to be there.
    3. Lock the slide back and insert a FULL magazine slowly until it clicks into place. Did the top round stay clear of the slide lock to the left? Is there a space or gap between the rear of the top cartridge and the lower part of the slide below the striker-pin hole... is the stripper behind the base of the cartridge? If the "stripper" is sitting on any part of the cartridge, the slide will ride over the cartridge and not go into battery, or the slide will go into battery on an empty chamber. Do this at home as well, but initially, after chambering a round at the range, when you get that far, pull the magazine out and see if a round is missing. This saves aiming and pulling the trigger on an empty chamber. Be safe! With this problem, you can pull the slide all the way to the rear and get just enough clearnce for the stripper to get behind and push a round into the chamber after you release the slide... don't ride the slide, though, let it go completely.

Disassemble the pistol and check for a bevel on the stripper. This should preclude the problem just mentioned. While the pistol is apart, look for the notch described in # 2.

This is not a complete list of things, but if you have any of these known recent problems, well, you have problems and they'll show up in firing the pistol.
    Just the list the problems and take pictures to send to Ian. He'll help you and make things right.

I'm sort of kidding, but check your new pistol out before rushing to the range.

I hope you have no problems with yours, but Kahr will make it right if you do.

Good Luck and Good Shooting with this "best of the Kahrs"
    to me, anyhow.

Wynn

PS: I'll try to run down some of the photos of problems and put links or pix here. I hope this helps!
    PIX: 1. The notch 2. PM45 un-beveled stripper 3. Beveled stripper 4. No gap or space between stripper -- note that the stripper rests ON the rear of the cartridge, resulting in 5. Scraped and un-chambered top cartridge!
    Jeez that was a scary post . I sure hope I don't have any of those problems.
    Kahr P380 (part owner)
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr PM45
    Kahr MK9 Elite 03
    Springfield XDs .45 3.3
    Springfield XDm .40 Compact 3.8
    Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    .....Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by kahrseye View Post
    Jeez that was a scary post . I sure hope I don't have any of those problems.
    Don't let him scare you. Chances are you'll have no issues. If you do Kahr and everyone here is here to help get it running like it should. Cept maybe Wyn who seems to be trying to just scare and be rude to people lately. I think he's off his meds or too much sun down in the sunny gunshine state.
    You'll be fine, we're routin for ya, several of us are working towards one for ourselves.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    I'm going off topic, but I noticed you have a G36 and PM45. I am right now in the process of deciding between the two. Note that in 40 years of shooting, I have never owned or wanted to own a Glock, My PT745 has to go, and I need a warm weather 45 carry. I have had good luck with my CW9 and CW45, so I'm partial the Kahrs, but the PM45 is about $150 more. What do you think about the two guns as an owner?

Thanks,
    O'Dell
    I believe the Glock is heavier and definitely larger than the PM45. It does hold 1 more bullet. The glock shoots well and is very reliable. I'll be honest with you, if I could have afforded the Kahr when I bought my glock 36, I wouldn't have bought the 36, only because the PM45 is smaller and lighter. Nothing against the glock, I like my glocks, but I'm all about the carrying. I don't own a gun I can't carry. I think if I like the PM45 as much as I like the PM9, I may sell the 36. But we'll see.
    Kahr P380 (part owner)
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr PM45
    Kahr MK9 Elite 03
    Springfield XDs .45 3.3
    Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    .....Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    Don't let him scare you. Chances are you'll have no issues. If you do Kahr and everyone here is here to help get it running like it should. Cept maybe Wyn who seems to be trying to just scare and be rude to people lately. I think he's off his meds or too much sun down in the sunny gunshine state.
    You'll be fine, we're routin for ya, several of us are working towards one for ourselves.
    Don't worry, I don't have thin skin. I certainly hope my PM45 experience is as good as my PM9. Right out of the box my 9 ran like a race horse. Well made and feels great in my hand, or my pocket. Oh, well I digress, my PM45 should be here by next Wed......
    Kahr P380 (part owner)
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr PM45
    Kahr MK9 Elite 03
    Springfield XDs .45 3.3
    Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8

.....Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, I was funning with you a bit, but nothing untrue. Hopefully you won't have any of the problems we've seen or heard about, but these are some of the main ones. These are all good things to check as you're cleaning it and lubing it before the first range trip.
    The first time you shoot the PM45, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to shoot. Recovery between shots depends on your hold and technique. I don't really have a good one, but it's so much fun to shoot.
    If I don't jerk it or use too much trigger finger, and squeeze properly, the shot goes where I want it, but I can do a lot of stuff to prevent that. I don't shoot from a rest or try to take 10 seconds or more a shot. My first six shots were all in the head of my silhouette at 7 yards with only one away from the others. After that I didn't much care, I just had one of those sh!t-eating grins and had fun.
    I use nothing but 230-grain standard ammo -- FMJ for targets and premium JHP for defense. The one I settled on for CCW is the Bonded Remington Golden Saber, which is a Law Enforcement or military-type round.
    RemingtonMilitary.com
    I got mine at
    Golden Saber Bonded 230 gr 45 acp 50 rds LE box
    I haven't seen this much and that's not a bad price for defense ammo. I started with 4 boxes of 50 which ought to be enough for a while. I did shoot most of a box, and no more because it's ballistically the same as the Golden Sabers I already use, but an improvement because of the bonding.
    The Federal 230-gr Hydra Shok is very good, too. I like the bonded idea, though.
    All of my ammo is the same weight and velocity, pretty much, which should keep the ballistics the same and simplify things if what you choose shoots POA=POI. They all shoot close enough for defensive ranges like 7 yards or so.
    Good luck and Good shooting!
    Wynn

I would suggest something for the cheese-grater grips on the PM45, if you like to shoot a lot. I broke down and used the 1.75" bike tubes to enhance handling and minimize "bite" BEFORE the first range trip. Pix follow. I put the first attempt on the PM9 just to keep them matching. I use the 5-round clip for CCW and carry the 6-round as a spare on my belt or in my pocket with the clipless holder(middle right first photo and upper right in the last). The 7-rounder is nearby at my TV chair.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Yeah, I was funning with you a bit, but nothing untrue. Hopefully you won't have any of the problems we've seen or heard about, but these are some of the main ones. These are all good things to check as you're cleaning it and lubing it before the first range trip.
    The first time you shoot the PM45, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to shoot. Recovery between shots depends on your hold and technique. I don't really have a good one, but it's so much fun to shoot.
    If I don't jerk it or use too much trigger finger, and squeeze properly, the shot goes where I want it, but I can do a lot of stuff to prevent that. I don't shoot from a rest or try to take 10 seconds or more a shot. My first six shots were all in the head of my silhouette at 7 yards with only one away from the others. After that I didn't much care, I just had one of those sh!t-eating grins and had fun.
    I use nothing but 230-grain standard ammo -- FMJ for targets and premium JHP for defense. The one I settled on for CCW is the Bonded Remington Golden Saber, which is a Law Enforcement or military-type round.
    RemingtonMilitary.com
    I got mine at
    Golden Saber Bonded 230 gr 45 acp 50 rds LE box
    I haven't seen this much and that's not a bad price for defense ammo. I started with 4 boxes of 50 which ought to be enough for a while. I did shoot most of a box, and no more because it's ballistically the same as the Golden Sabers I already use, but an improvement because of the bonding.
    The Federal 230-gr Hydra Shok is very good, too. I like the bonded idea, though.
    All of my ammo is the same weight and velocity, pretty much, which should keep the ballistics the same and simplify things if what you choose shoots POA=POI. They all shoot close enough for defensive ranges like 7 yards or so.
    Good luck and Good shooting!
    Wynn

I would suggest something for the cheese-grater grips on the PM45, if you like to shoot a lot. I broke down and used the 1.75" bike tubes to enhance handling and minimize "bite" BEFORE the first range trip. Pix follow. I put the first attempt on the PM9 just to keep them matching. I use the 5-round clip for CCW and carry the 6-round as a spare on my belt or in my pocket with the clipless holder(middle right first photo and upper right in the last). The 7-rounder is nearby at my TV chair.
    Thanks for the info....I usually carry Hydra shoks. In my PM9 I'm carrying the Hornady Critical Defense ammo (first time I've tried this brand), but I've read up on this and they claim it's very consistant....gives you the same results every time no matter what you're shooting. By the way I thought the PM45 comes with 2 5 round mags....there's a 6 and 7?

What do you use for practice ammo?
    Kahr P380 (part owner)
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr PM45
    Kahr MK9 Elite 03
    Springfield XDs .45 3.3
    Springfield XDm 9mm 3.8

.....Benjamin Franklin

Yes, they come with two 5-shot mags and I got one 6-shot mag with the deal on Gunbroker. I ordered in advance a 7-round TP mag for range use or added capacity. I just ordered two 7-shot (K725G) extended grip mags for the PM45. It's a new release and I had to look online a bit but I found some in stock for as low a price as I could.
    Kahr: P45 Magazine with Grip Extension, 7 Rd. (K725G)
    cheaper:
    theUrbanArmory.com: lowcapmag_kahr incorrect picture, though.
    I ordered 2 at $33.99 x 2= $67.98+$9.99 shipping for $77.97 total (item 71699)
    Not many places have these. The picture was wrong at the Urban Armory, but the description fit. I'll see.
    I like the extended grip for comfort as a spare mag -- the 6-round like that doesn't poke me as much.
    Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and