Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't post it on the Kahr website. Tp9 thoughts?

I wrote this review for kahrs consumer web site. This chat room being for discussion of TP pistols I thought I would put it here for discussion Bought my last TP because it had a nice barrel on a small package. I don't want to argue which is better. I just wish the option was offered. I would take one of each. Asked kahr for the smaller receiver. They said no. They also said they don't make a lot of tp pistols. I think they would sell if they made more. While searching many gun shops asked why anyone would want a single stacked nine that doesn't pack well? It's a fair question. If kahr wants to let the used market and have people mod to their wishes it's fine for them. Not good for sales though.

On another note, bringing this up is a bit like saying the wrong thing at a cult meeting. If I have said anything to upset anyone's sensibilities, pleases except my most sincere apologies. I must also point out that I refuse to describe something as not well built if it misses a matter of my taste. It's not too confusing.

I agree, I think there are quite a few folks that prefer the older TP9. But then again, Kahr made the move for a reason. They sold (and still sell) a ton of the P/PM series and now w/ the addition of the CW/CM, another pile out there. They have a niche there. But as you heard from the horses mouth, they don't make many TP pistols. Same goes for the T series, and the entire metal line (K/MK). The few that are made are picked up mostly by folks like me that liked the trigger enough to just go buy one whether we needed it or not (for me, it was another 'like a hole in the head' decision). I didn't initially think I'd even use the TP that much, just wanted it. After shooting it and carrying it, I don't find it that much harder to conceal and I prefer the longer grip. I don't think I'd want the earlier design, I find that the extra grip is excellent for drawing IWB and I'm pretty much only carrying my TP now. If I'm going to want a shorter grip and loose a round, I think the P9 is a better choice. I don't give up any accuracy for the purpose of a Kahr (CCW) in a 3.5" barrel.

I don't know that anyone was offended, I wasn't. I know a number of folks have made that same comment on this forum regarding the change in the TP. But I guess Kahr got enough feedback, did enough analysis, to make the call that the TP needed to be the polymer version of the T and that having the P available was not different enough to warrant a 4" version. Dunno, just conjecture.

Anyway, enjoy it, its a fine firearm.

Now we're a cult! You bought the same pistol twice... came here to complain because Kahr doesn't give you any choices and now you call us a cult. You bought the largest 9mm twice... there are plenty of choices, but you came here to complain and be coy about calling our friendly forum a cult! You can go back to that OTHER Kahr site!

Edited by Wynn to remove uncalled for expression.

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 02-24-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

All very good points. I just never considered the older model anywhere near full size. Maybe I am still pissed I had to let the old one go. I know kahr is busy pumping out the smaller lines. My collection is growing all the time. The atmosphere in the gun market is not always so hot. I would like to see more options out of quality gunmakers like kahr. Many are using their tp's for home defence. An integrated rail would be nice for that. Well, the list could go on forever. Maybe it's good to stay grounded a bit also. Some gun lines are Barbie dolls for men. Configure and accessorize, I am always happy when they go bang well.

That was a simile, I was trying to lighten the mood. I like your ported p9 I imagine that shoots like a dream. Your friendly chat room is clearly not a cult! I am sorry again.

None of my Kahr's are for home defense. Of all the places I expect to have to use a gun, home is the most probable. For that I use other higher capacity pistols or other firearms. There just aren't really that many car jackings and out-and-about scenarios that happen compared to home invasions. As a result, I'd never make my Kahr a home defense gun for multiple reasons. Capacity being the biggest, rail second.

They could put a rail on, but that's NOT the purpose of a Kahr, even in the T/TP line. They are THIN (thin is sexy marketing ploy) and as such, they are meant and designed to be IWB or super comfortable OWB. They are carry guns, period. No rail needed, no mechanical safeties, marginal benefit w/ night sights, etc, capacity acceptable for the average CCW holder...not that I wouldn't like to have more rounds...but it is what it is...comfortable.

wyntrout, I didn't take his 'cult' comment to be negative...cult just meaning (hopefully) a following of Kahr products here. Which we are.

Look, I didn't call anyone a cult member. I should have used a metaphor instead, like "I farted in church by saying what I did" if I thought people would omit the like from my prior statement. You are all knowledgable about kahr pistols that's why I am here. Can we get back to talking about guns now? I am thinking to get a deeper riding iwb holster for this Tp. I shot it some more I am getting used to it. It being what it is I know I am going to enjoy it. Thanks for the back up and thoughts on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    .. Can we get back to talking about guns now? ...
    I think that's an excellent idea.
    Welcome to the forums

BTW, for those that are curious, here's a link that has photos showing the differences between the "old" and "new" style TP9:
    http://unreadbits.blogspot.com/2006/...ew.html#update
    The older style gun also came in a version (called the "Target 9") with an adjustable MMC rear sight.
    Regards,
    Greg

Pipercub, dunno if you are into the whole clipless/sticky thing, but I carry my TP9 in a Remora 3C (actually the same one used for the P9). The extra half inch doesn't effect trigger coverage hardly at all, I love it. Plenty of grip available for drawing, and you can ride it as deep or shallow as you like. My TP9 goes everywhere I go, in the Remora.