Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I am leaving. Goodbye.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I am leaving. Goodbye.

Over the last few months, I have been getting progressively more negative, depressed, and anti-government.
    There are a lot of factors in this, but I believe a major factor has been the negative energy on KahrTalk since the re-election.

I have tried very hard to keep a positive attitude, and have even spoken out when I felt that the bullshit was getting too deep.

In one such case, I spoke out against comments, descriptions and photos of the First Family that involved racially motivated hatred. That event resulted in a more or less positive change, and I saw a definite reduction in the hatred after that, but it's still seeping in there with slyly worded phrases designed to avoid blatant expression but still get the point across, so the speaker cannot be called on it.

In another case, my objection to the negativity and hatred resulted in an accusation against me and my voting history, which the accuser had no information about, and which had the potential for a big ol' pile of bullshit being dumped on me if it gained momentum. Fortunately, I worded my response with great care, and people left me the hell alone as requested. But it was still a negative experience - "speak out against the hatred and be vilified for it" is the message that was sent to me that day.

But these are only the most obvious examples. I have tried not to buy into the paranoia and depressing conjecture about societal collapse, economic collapse and anti-government sentiments that are saturating this and other gun forums. But, as my wife told me last night, if you immerse yourself in a particular culture, it affects you. No matter how hard you try to only integrate the good things in that culture into your life, the bad things affect you too.

I tried to scan the thread topics and only click the ones that looked positive or interesting, but it seems that nearly every thread sooner or later gets around to abusing the government, specific members of the government, or society and its impending doom. All it takes is one person making a casual negative comment to start the ball rolling and it gains momentum.

Even if nobody starts the ball rolling intentionally, many people have these negative sentiments in their signatures, so even the most benign, positive, happy comment includes negative energy. Sometimes new users will comment on something in someone's signature or avatar, and off it goes like an avalanche.

I feel that it is necessary for my own mental health to step back from this tsunami of hate, anger, frustration, fear, paranoia, etc that has inundated gun forums. Even now, writing that sentence, I can visualize other forum members replying that by stepping back from it, I am burying my head in the sand, becoming a sheep, shirking my duty to stand up for our gun rights, becoming part of the problem, etc. The scorn is already lashing me before I have even clicked the "submit" button on this post. It has taken hold of me that deeply.

A while back, the admins on this forum said that they were going to let the election hubbub die down, and then start cracking down on the political crap that was overflowing the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" sub-forum and polluting the rest of the place. But then Sandy Hook happened, ammo dried up, the local and federal gun bans came up, and there is no end in sight. Now even the administrators of this forum are openly participating in the hatred, doom, and gloom. And I simply cannot abide it any longer.

This post will probably spark a fresh wave of negativity, and I would be much surprised if a significant amount of it was not directed at me for posting this. Therefore, I will NOT be subscribing to my own thread. I hope that the admins will shut it down as soon as it starts getting nasty, for everyone's sake - but I won't be looking in on it, so if you're just going to post something mean about me, save your energy for when "they come for your guns".

I still like my guns a lot, and I'd dearly love to participate in a gun forum, talking about cool new guns, results of experiments and mods, helping people figure out problems, and stuff like that. But since I cannot have the good stuff without overwhelming amounts of the most potent vitriolic bad stuff to go with it, I am leaving.

"I know less than half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, at the Party Tree, just before donning The One Ring.

Take care.
    Last edited by Scoundrel; 03-01-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    I have unsubscribed all threads. If you wish to contact me, please send a PM.
    If you want to know why, go to this thread: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?p=226512

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

P.S. YES, that notch in the rail is supposed to be there!

gonna miss u scroundre.IMO u added alot, but I am probalby one of those who u totally disagree with . I make fun of the obummer and his fat ass wife and I make no bones about it. I totally cannot stand him and what he stands for.

Its a gun forum to and in the past I have stepped back at times to to evualate where I am at and where I am goin. so I understand what ur saying. Its ur choice to leave. I certainly hope the powers to be leave this forum the way it is. When it gets out of hand on some threads it is soon locked. Some undesirables have also been asked to leave and never come back.

Knowing u might not read this and that is ur statement,u can also pull ur name off this forum to . I know there are some that have an auto delete on ol jocko's threads and IMO tha tis what u should have done to eliminate those who u don't want to read anything about period.It works for many.

U have been here a long time,so u have thought about this move to, so I wish you well and for me I like this forum the way it is.I have been on forums where the moderators rule PERIOD. It is there way or the highway and this group of mods give alot of leeway and personally they are also entitled to their opinions also.they certainly put up with alot of my bull sh!t.

U have friends here, even when ur not here..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Personally, I think some folks take the internet, and all it offers, much too seriously. It's just a toy to play with IMHO. Never meant to allow others to steal your soul. Have a good life. Come back when your ready.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Default yup

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Personally, I think some folks take the internet, and all it offers, much too seriously. It's just a toy to play with IMHO. Never meant to allow others to steal your soul. Have a good life. Come back when your ready.
    ur right there, I have been told that a few times by PM thatI take thigs to personalItotally understandscoundrel,I may not agree with him but this forum is made up of many many personalities, most damn good guys to.

It aint a perfect world and sometimes we all nee dto step away from thesefokking machines andtake a deep breadth. I can't wait for riding seaosn so I can indeed do that
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I am new here and never really got to know you but why leave?

People are very understanding for the most part so stick
    around and enjoy the fact that you have a place to come to and
    share a common interest in shooting off your firearms and your mouth....

Don't be so heavy in your angst that you can't enjoy the simple
    joys of comradery of shared interests with others....

You could simply lighten up....

imo

Scoundrel,

You'll miss us! Take a rest for a while. Get your perspective realligned. You're welcome when you want to join us again.
    Very interesting...

Truly understand, Scoundrel.
    NRA Benefactor

I have had some folks provoke me at times.
    The ignore list is an amazing and powerful tool to filter particularly offensive or combative people.
    They can't PM you either.
    And you can read threads freely without being offended or provoked.

I felt like a great weight had been lifted off me as a member once the filter was in place.

I would recommend you take advantage of that tool.
    And see how much more pleasurable the board can be with a personal filter in place.

Just a thought...

Default Re: I am leaving. Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    I have had some folks provoke me at times.
    The ignore list is an amazing and powerful tool to filter particularly offensive or combative people.
    They can't PM you either.
    And you can read threads freely without being offended or provoked.

I felt like a great weight had been lifted off me as a member once the filter was in place.

I would recommend you take advantage of that tool.
    And see how much more pleasurable the board can be with a personal filter in place.

Just a thought...
    I was wondering why no one responds to my posts or private messages. Goodbye Scoundrel, hope you feel better now that you have gotten all thirteen paragraphs off of your chest.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
    (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

ripley 16 has it right. Internet forums are not life.