Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: CW9 Break-in

Default CW9 Break-in

03/02/13: First time out with the gun. Shooting at an indoor range at about 6 yards.
    -126 rounds Blazer Brass 115g FMJs.
    -60 rounds Remington UMC 124g FNEB (seemed to shoot higher than 115g Blazers).
    -42 rounds Independence 115g FMJ. Seemed very inaccurate out of CW. Switched to my Stoeger Cougar and could shoot them more accurately from that gun.
    -14 rounds Remington UMC 115g JHP. Much more accurate than the Independence rounds.
    -5 rounds Hornady 124g XTP. Very accurate.
    -5 rounds Remington 125g +P Golden Sabers. I found the 124g rounds to have noticeably more recoil than the 115g rounds. I could clearly tell the difference between standard pressure rounds vs. the +P when shooting the CW. I really don’t notice the difference between the two rounds when shooting my Cougar, but I am a recoil-sensitive sissy with girlie hands.

Total rounds shot: 252.
    Problems/malfunctions: 0

In the photo that shows groupings of different rounds, the middle, un-circled group was a fast string and I can’t recall what ammo was used.

Comments:
    -Break in? What break in? We don’t need no stinkin’ break in! Shot great from the get go. Oh, actually there was one problem – was really hard to release the slide stop with the first mag. After that, everything was fine. I did clean the gun and magazines, and polished the feed ramp and mag feeding lips before shooting the gun. I also put a layer of electrical tape over the grip to reduce the hand-grater effect of the stippling. Glad I did, as the little stippling that was exposed did grate my hand.
    -I love the sights, just wish the front dot was like the big XS sight (I have rotten vision).
    -Trigger was easy to manage. Many reviews describe it as being revolver-like. I find it easier than a revolver (I’ve owned several S+W M66s in the past).
    -Would like to try some Hornady 115g Critical Defense out of the CW. Had some with me, but couldn’t get myself to crack open that box of Zombie Max. Should be an ideal round for me out of this gun, but may just stick with the Remington UMC 115g JHP.
    -Overall, a really nice gun. Should be the perfect size for CC.

Nice shooting and glad your CW9 is running smoothly.

Thanks, bob. I was kinda worried about how it might run after I read some posts here about some issues, but mine was fine.

Great first outing, sw66hiviz! XS now has the Big Dot front sight for the CW9.
    Very interesting...

I have used the critical defense and critical duty. I upgraded to the stainless steel guide rod and a new recoil spring (i bought the gun used and it felt a little weak) and it handles the critical duty +p rounds beautifully.

A bicycle inner tube is cheap and works really good for the stippling on the grip. I used it on my pm45 and xds 45. Give it a go....

took 100 rounds for my pm45 and 400 rounds for my p380 to finish the break in, Now they are both 100% good to go.

I cc with pm45 and p380 as a backup. Need to try the cw9 soon.

Yes, I was going to try inner tube, but didn't have any in my basement (thought I did). May have one out in the garage.

I would say that the CW9 generally really needs no breakin. Mine didn't. I called it getting to know each other time. I had ZERO problems.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    Great first outing, sw66hiviz! XS now has the Big Dot front sight for the CW9.
    The XS website says some gunsmithing is required for installation. Any idea of what is required? The sights are expensive enough without also having to pay for shipping and gunsmithing. Would be nice if I could do it myself.

not that I know of. u should be able to put that front sight on blind folded. If u leave the rear sight alone , which IMO is not needed to be replaced as that xs big dot is gonna grab ur eyeballs real fast. It is a nice fast acquisition sight.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY