Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consistently low on an otherwise flawless pistol

Default Consistently low on an otherwise flawless pistol

Hello there! This is my first post, as I am a newbie here...but I love the fact that we have this community as a resource, as it helped me in deciding to buy a Kahr pistol (a CM9). I absolutely love the pistol and it has been flawless after 200 rds.
    My only issue, if I can call it that, is with it shooting low. Now, I am a pretty decent shot and I am usually very accurate from about 15 yds out. However, I have consistently been placing groupings at about 3 yds low of center from 7 yds and about 6 inches from about 15....I have read that several folks are experiencing similar issues with groupings.... I have read that many people suggest that if you reduce (shave off) the size of the front sight, that could solve things...So, since I don't want to send it it as this is not a big issue and I love carrying this pistol, I was wondering if anyone here could help me with how exactly one should shave off some of the front sight, and if so, by how much.
    Thanks so much in advance!

Shooting low and usually left for a righty is very common with new Kahr owners. I'd be very reluctant to do any sight filing until you shoot some more focusing on getting used to that trigger. Finger positioning more or less finger on the trigger might help but that normally effects windage more than elevation.

Try it off a rest, or have another shooter try it and see if they group in the same area.

I'm assuming you have the standard sights which I love incidently. I like them just the way they come out of the box.

I put big dots on my PM45 but my K40 still wears the factory and we get along fine.

Welcome, lots of help here, I'm not sure I did any here but we try.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks, Bawanna! I will certainly try this out when I go to the range next week. I like the sights the way they are too, by the way...I just hate being low all the time and having to aim higher to compensate,

I will repost once I have played around with your aforementioned tips.

Thanks.

I would suggest that you go back and brush up on the basics. Top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight, with an equal amount of light on either side of the front sight. Try dry firing using perfect sight alignment, and see if you can maintain it perfectly during your trigger control.

If your range rules permit it, involving a buddy and using the ball and dummy drill can be enlightening.

Generally speaking, if you are shooting consistently tight groups, the problem is not your "basics", but that a sight correction is needed.

If your intent is to prepare yourself for self defense shooting; I would not worry about shooting low by the amounts indicated in your opening post.

Give yourself and your weapon some time together before changing anything would be the advice of this old codger.
    "Never argue with a fool; he will only pull you down to his level, and beat you with experience"

Well, I'd be a little concerned about this.......................
    "However, I have consistently been placing groupings at about 3 yds low of center from 7 yds"

But it looks like he tightens them up...........
    "and about 6 inches from about 15"

LOL. Just yanking your chain. And WELCOME TO THE FORUM/NUTHOUSE
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

Welcome to the forum from balmy North Dakota.
    I'll admit---I'm trigger happy

Welcome and I agree with "B". Wait until you have at least 350 rounds thru the weapon before doing any sight work.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Default shave ur

Quote Originally Posted by dolphman View Post
    Hello there! This is my first post, as I am a newbie here...but I love the fact that we have this community as a resource, as it helped me in deciding to buy a Kahr pistol (a CM9). I absolutely love the pistol and it has been flawless after 200 rds.
    My only issue, if I can call it that, is with it shooting low. Now, I am a pretty decent shot and I am usually very accurate from about 15 yds out. However, I have consistently been placing groupings at about 3 yds low of center from 7 yds and about 6 inches from about 15....I have read that several folks are experiencing similar issues with groupings.... I have read that many people suggest that if you reduce (shave off) the size of the front sight, that could solve things...So, since I don't want to send it it as this is not a big issue and I love carrying this pistol, I was wondering if anyone here could help me with how exactly one should shave off some of the front sight, and if so, by how much.
    Thanks so much in advance!
    face not that front sight, ur beard will jgrow back if u fokk it up. shave that sight andur stuck wioth it, right or wrong.

Your groups are no differet thanj most new kahr owners either. Mysgugestion is to buy a half dozen snap caps and throw them in with 30 rounds and let anutter shooter load the magazine for u, so u know not if one or none of the caps are ih thegun. This will help you alot to see whatur doing. Dry firing is OK but not the same as the bang thing. IMO u cold be anticipating the bang thing and not knowing it, that is what flinchig is allabout. At last if u go this test method it will either show anissue in the shooter or it will show u are doing great. Before we blame the gun/sights, lets eliminate the shooter art first.

I can tell you I have over 32K round sout of my PMJ9 and I don't shoot it great at 7 yards. but plenty goodenough to make the BG sick to his stomach. Hell I moved my back site so damnmuch that I even bought a pusher so as not to damage my sights,move left for awhile, then back to right, then back to center. I knew it was me but just didn't wantto admit it.

Now if ur consistent to one area, like one poster stated, then it is time to maybe move that back site to get ur lefts and rights corrected. but u gotta be consistent or ur gonna end up like ol jocko, with a back sight that looks like it has been through a war. U can master a bad habit, it just takes longer. I suggest mastering good habits if possable. Practice does not make perfect but perfect practice doesn.

I think u just need more rounds downrange for kahrs are not the wasies to shoot in the same hole, they are wha tthey are. A gun with no safety other than ur brain and a loooong but so smooth trgger system that if can shoot a wheel gun good DA, then u should be OK with a kahr.

IO think ur doin OK to but u can sure test out some theories I suggested to help u along to. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I can tell you I have over 32K round sout of my PMJ9
    Hmmm.. PMJ9 = Polymer Jocko 9? haha

I agree that you should shoot it more. I wanted to get rid of my G34 because I was horribly inaccurate with it and it would drop most of the brass on my head and shoulders instead of off to the side.
    I learned that I just needed to learn THAT pistol, and ultimately shoot it a lot more. I'm glad I didn't start knocking the sites around, because they were already perfect!

Great stuff, gents! thank you! I think I will wait and make sure that it isnt the injun rather than the arrow.... Besides, as someone mentioned, the purpose of this pistol is for self defense ( I mainly carry the CM9 , or a Beretta Tomcat when wearing dress pants), so I am sure it wont really matter whether I hit the upper abdomen or the belly buttton...either way, BG will get stopped.

I appreciate the feedback from you all! I will be sure to humbly contribute as much as possible from time to time...