CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PM45 Range Report

Default New PM45 Range Report

Hi all,

Purchased a new PM45 some weeks back and wanted to report on its first couple of outings. I cleaned it before the first range trip and shot 230gr plated with a light load. I used the two 5 round mags that came with it.

It was a disaster. I had FTF on nearly every magazine. Lots of "last round stovepipes". In addition, after slide lock, the first round would not feed. The ejected rounds were all bouncing off my forehead. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

THEN I FOUND THIS FORUM!!!!

After reading the stickies on prepping a new gun I did the following:

1) I checked the springs in the magazines. ONE OF THEM WAS BACKWARDS, just like the thread said.

2) I polished the followers down until they passed the mag release catch smoothly, just like the thread said.

3) I smoothed out the "corners" on the magazine feed lips, just like the thread said.

I returned to the range with a hotter load - I didn't chrono it but it *should* have been close to factory for 230gr, i.e. 825fps (Titegroup 4.6gr). I also took two 6 round mags I got from Ivanhoe.

What a difference!! Out of 100 rounds, I had zero and I mean ZERO malfunctions. One or two rounds bounced off my forehead, but I think I was limp wristing. At 10 yards, there was just one big ragged hole in the target.

I was expecting problems with the two 6-round mags - I didn't inspect them at all before loading and firing with them. Zero problems.

I also didn't expect that the issue with the first round feeding correctly after slide lock would disappear. I was expecting that to still be a problem since I didn't take any specific steps to address it. My only theory is that the hotter load threw the slide back just a bit further and locked it there, allowing the top round in the new mag to position correctly.

All in all, a happy camper here. These forums are a priceless resource for Kahr owners. If you're a new Kahr owner and a looking for solutions to the problems described here, run, don't walk, but run right over to the New Users forum and look at the threads for prepping a new gun http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14748 and fixing issues with a CW45 http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14749.

Excellent report. Glad it all worked out and your efforts made it a reliable gun.

My PM45 will tap me in the forehead if I drop my guard. It prefers a solid grip, get a little sloppy and it lets ya know.

Welcome, glad you found us.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Schtever, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you worked things out. My first outing with my "dream" PM45 DLC NS was a disappointment, too, at first. Releasing the slide lock on a full mag would NOT chamber a round. Had I done a proper rack, the slide would have gotten behind the round instead of parking on top of the rim. The "stripper" part of the lower breechface wasn't beveled! Once I managed to push up hard enough on the magazine to cause the rim to give a little, the stripper could bet behind the cartridge and chamber a round, but I had to do that each time! A trip back to Kahr took care of the bevel. Now that's an easily fixed item for anyone.

Here's some info that you may have already seen, but to "advice" and opinions, too... mine!

Welcome to the Kahrtalk forum supported by Kahr Arms.
    Here are a few essential links and things to do BEFORE you take your new pistol to the range, and ESPECIALLY BEFORE taking it apart and trying to re-assemble it! The Kahr is a different design… 6-7 unique patents cover the Kahrs. I’m not trying to imply that you don’t know anything about guns, but many don’t know anything about the Kahrs and some of the things you can do to damage or cause malfunctions of your new, or new-to-you Kahr pistol.
    First, if you don’t have a manual, yet, or one didn’t come with your pistol, you can download the pdf file here:
    http://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf
    Impatient? Watch one of these videos FIRST! These videos can point out possible problem areas and emphasize correct procedures!
    Take down and re-assembly videos:
    T, TP, CW, P, & PM/CM Series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G2cZgVg_SwA
    MK series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...mSCnIOaUk#t=0s
    K series:
    http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9-Elite.asp
    There are many links on fixing problems listed in several places… under the New Member or Kahr Tech sub-forums.
    A very handy one is the Kahr Lube Diagram:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14750
    Many of your questions can be answered in these areas and you can learn how your Kahr works and not damage it with improper handling.
    Frequently asked questions: http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp?

One very important bit of advice: Hold the Kahr pistol firmly when firing OR CHAMBERING a round. These compact pistols need all of the force they can get from the slide to get a round into the chamber successfully. If you don't hold the pistol firmly, part of the needed momentum is transferred to MOVING THE PISTOL and the top round will DIVE and jam into the right side of the feed ramp. The weak hand, over hand rack method gives the best grip and a firm rack will give you the best chance at chambering a round.

Use the weak hand fingers over the slide(clear of the ejection port), thumb along the slide and pointing to the rear. Use the gun hand to simultaneously firmly push the gun as you give a vigorous rack with the weak hand and cleanly release the slide as it reaches the rear limit and is "snatched" from the weak hand. This approximates a real rack from firing and beats the slide release method WHEN executed properly. Much more strength can be exerted when this is done closer to the body.

Here's a video on that. The first part is what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hjLbFOw8sow

There are many helpful members here most of the time who might be able to help you, but as anywhere, there are many opinions and not all are correct. Be mindful of this before doing anything drastic to modify your pistol!

Wynn
    Aka wyntrout
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

ok wyn and bawanna bend over wewanna pin the medals on ur properly.

excellent report. It kinds makes us posters who do post some fixes and things to look for that often we are cirticized for doing so on A NEW FOKKING GUN. but u did it ur way, and u solved ur issues WITHOUT BOXING IT UP AND SENDING IT BACK.

The reverse mag springs is a *****, shouldnever happen but the mags come fullay assembled to kahr so they don't take um apart to check them either, which is understandable. I often wonder how many guns are sent back for this issues when only 5 minutes it would have taken to check for yourself. The nice thing about doing allthat u did is tha tif it still screwed up, u will have known u did all u can to make this gun right and mayb enow it needs to go back. Excellet job if I might say. Jsut sayin

BAWANNA, give this guy a bonus of 100 posts, which he should know gets him alittle closer to kissing ur ring. Just sayin.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Sorry my humble servant, I don't have the power to do that, you gotta be really high to do that sort of thing.

It is a nice gesture and very thoughtful of you.

The conclave hasn't contacted me YET, guess there's little chance of an American Pope, time is short I suspect it won't happen for me.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

NOW WOULDN';T THAT BE A HOOT TO SEE OUR NEW OPE WALKING OUT IN THE BALCONY AT ST. PETERS WEARIN A SHOLDER RIG. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

How do you know they don't now. With all the robes and red shoes and stuff you could hide a couple Uzi's or Barth rifle pistols under there.

If I'm elected I'll try to dress down for a few balcony appearances to show off the hardware.

Bless you my son.

For some unknown reason I really enjoy the selection process of the Pope. The smoke signals and all the rites and stuff they go through. I find it interesting.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

He would probably wear a sling-rig with a "pistol" like Barth's... maybe full-auto... he's the Pope! But, I think he puts his faith in the Lord to protect him... or let him be taken out, as He sees fit!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    How do you know they don't now. With all the robes and red shoes and stuff you could hide a couple Uzi's or Barth rifle pistols under there.

If I'm elected I'll try to dress down for a few balcony appearances to show off the hardware.

Bless you my son.

For some unknown reason I really enjoy the selection process of the Pope. The smoke signals and all the rites and stuff they go through. I find it interesting.
    actually the smoke thing came from watching obummer speak so often. He blew so much smoke up peoples asses that the vatican felt they could blow some smoke for a couple of days and then elect a new leader. I am flying over there for the celevbration Our "family" over there has front row seats, if u know what I mean. If u watch the tv and see the pope kiss some fellows ring instead of vice versa, yup that is the ol jocko family Just sayin actually he will be kissin my 110 anniversary Harley Davidson secret decoder ring which I wll then bring back to the states and auction it off for big bucks so I can buy a goldwiner.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Ol Jocko on a Gold Whiner? I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth, when will this ever end. I have to be dehydrated with all this mouth vomit.

Whoa is me.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan