Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade: New XS Big Dot NS for my P40

Here's the underside and the parts that aren't the base needed reducing so that they don't contact the top of the slide.

The top part... cylinder shaped... probably would have popped off if I had really continued to force the base into the dovetail! I think it's silver-soldered onto the base. I was just winging it with a small triangular file and the reduction isn't as uniform as it should have been. I blued all of that before final assembly.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Here are a couple of more pix of the FS with the overhanging parts that didn't clear the top of the slide as I removed base material... not as good as I had hoped, though.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

i got to be honest her man, thats the bummer of aftermarket sh!t.
    it never fits perfect like the OEM stuff does.

you do your best to make it right, just as you have done, and hope for the best.
    my years as an auto tech have me hating anything that is not OEM direct replacement due to the effort needed to make it right.

this is by no means a shot at you personally, as you did a great job installing the parts, just my rambling after a few beers. homebrewed of course.

Not all stuff fits perfectly and requires small adjustments. Dovetails can really vary and a few minor adjustments are not uncommon. At least I didn't have to pay anyone to do it or have to wait without my pistol!

I've done one Glock and one Kahr NS install and still have at least one more Glock to do, but it's just like the first Glock... G23C & now G19.

My experience may help keep someone from ruining their sights. I learn as I go... sometimes it cost more because I broke stuff... especially with cars... been there, done that too many times!

Sites like this and all of the Internet info and videos can really help you tackle a lot of stuff these days.

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 08-09-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Here's the paperboard that I used... the bottle separator material from a mixed case of wine at Costco. I got 5 bottles of the Ménage à Trois for Wifey. I got a bunch of other kinds for me to fill up the box.

That paper was just right for building up the height under the slide and protecting it in the Sight Pusher and the vise.

The box came in handy for clearing all of my stuff off the dining table for supper, too!

I added the sight pusher with the lower bar removed for the Kahr slide and the part of the UHF connector that I used as a punch... dinged a bit, but I use what I can find. That's usually the problem... I can't find the stuff I know that I have somewhere!

I use a 1/2" drive ratchet & 3/4" socket and a 3/4" crescent and boxed end wrench. It takes some oomph sometimes with the pusher!

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Wynn, that's perfect, thanks! I wasn't getting it, but now I do. The front/back of the actual tritium enclosure that overhand on the front/back of the slide. Cool. Just wasn't picturing it from the original post/comment.

-Chris

From other installation videos, the sides of the base are carefully reduced until there was a fit halfway into the dovetails. These instructions only said to remove from the bottom of the base. It probably would be better to do both and watch the clearance on the parts overhanging the slide. I probably made a significant change to the impact point using these sights. I'll have to wait and see, but it's for defensive ranges and shouldn't matter much. I just need to find out where to aim. The Big Dots are so much easier and quicker to "pickup" when you present the pistol.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Sir, you are talented, install sights, cooking using "TWO" microwaves, pleasing the wife and taking graphic picture without misspelling AND doing a great job on all count!!!! DAMG, you are good.

I love Big Dot NS and have them on most all of my handguns.
    Strangely, I really like my MK40 Elite factory NS though?
    And I really like the factory Bulgarian AK74U iron sights too...

Oh well,
    There are some things that just can't be explained.

My McFadden Ultimate Magazine Loader(he says clip) just came in! I need to get ready and go to the range new NS and my new Ruger MK3 22/45 Lite pistol to test!

Dinner is leftovers, so no "cooking" to start early!

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and