CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullet leading woes!

Default Cast bullet leading woes!

My new CM9 is leading badly with bullets cast in a Lee tc 120 mold. Here's some background. My bore slugs to .3540 inches and I've measured it several times. Bullets are sized to .3560 (and yes, they are measured to the nearest ten thousandth). The first batch of bullets was cast using recovered indoor range scrap which averages a BHN of 10.4. I realize that's a little soft but it works fine in 7 other calibers. Leading was terrible. I was sure it was a hardness issue so I ran off some water dropped wheel weight bullets…BHN 22.7. The results were the same. Then I wondered if I might be squeezing the bullets when I seated them in my sized cases and in fact I was, but only to .355 or so. That's still bigger than my bore. Lube is a Lyman molly lube that's been around longer than dirt and the loads used light and moderate charges of Unique. I'm going to try another lube and Bullseye powder but after that, I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glad you started this thread. I just picked up a Kahr CW 40 and been seeing a lot of leading also. I use Penn 165gr TC with 4.7 grs of tightgroup ( which is a little hot) and 4 gr of 231 both leaded a lot. I had to adjust my COL down a bit and it fed fine. But I will say after about 60 rounds I started to get FTBs. I think the tolerances are so tight the lube gums up just enough. Just ordered some fpj just to see if it makes much of a difference.

I'm wondering if the barrels are a little rough inside and causing some lead to hang up. I really never thought a lube could aid in leading.

Joe

eventually this cast bullet stuff is gonna go by the wayside. If my kahr or any gun was leading up, then I would go to jacketed rounds and just be done with it. I realize it is some more expenswive of cast over jacketed but not sure one can blame the gun for lead build up either.With led, it is what it is.... Clean more often is probalby needed with cast bullets. Most indoor ranges forbid cast ammo and even some outdoor ranges now are doing the same..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Fire lapping pistol barrels is not too common, but I did an HK USP 40sw some years ago with good results. Back then I had to make my own bullets coated with valve grinding compound. I did not shoot these bullets but drove them through the barrel with a dowel rod.. A lot of work but success.

Here is a company that has a ready-to-go fire lapping kit.

http://www.davidtubb.com/ff-kit-38-9mm-cal

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    eventually this cast bullet stuff is gonna go by the wayside. If my kahr or any gun was leading up, then I would go to jacketed rounds and just be done with it. I realize it is some more expenswive of cast over jacketed but not sure one can blame the gun for lead build up either.With led, it is what it is.... Clean more often is probalby needed with cast bullets. Most indoor ranges forbid cast ammo and even some outdoor ranges now are doing the same..
    Exactely. Once you go jacketed you never go back. The gun is never to blame when ie leads up since the situation is easily avoided.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    Exactely. Once you go jacketed you never go back. The gun is never to blame when ie leads up since the situation is easily avoided.
    He's casting his own bullets. If he has a good source for lead, he can shoot for cheap. Real cheap. Plus practice loads are generally loaded light and make for a little more pleasant shooting.

Plated bullets are generally about half the cost of jacketed. I shoot a lot of Berry's and Rainier's with very good results (when I'm not shooting lead).

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post

Ok then you copper foul. When you shoot a lot of lead you notice changes in the leading patterns and that's what I feel BorisJ and myself are noticing. If I want to clean lead out it is easy vinegar and peroxide does the trick, just like ammonia for copper. I didn't feel that was the point of the post, I really feel the barrels are a little rough and the powder charge may need to be adjusted till the barrels smooth out.

If you have a source for lead the only other cost is your time and energy. I pay about $ 70.00/1000 from Penn Bullets and that's cheap enough so I don't cast my own bullets. Even with the higher prices for supplies I'm still reloading for about $6.25/box, if you cast your own that cost could be cut in half.

Joe

I've been loading a lot of Bayou Bullets ... not so much for the bullet/mold design as for the totally encapsulated dry lube used. I haven't loaded any 9mm with the Bayou Bullets, but have in .45 acp ... all the rest I load are revolver rounds. From the 5-6 handguns I've run the B/B's through, there's absolutely no comparison with standard lubed cast bullets. I don't cast my own, so I'm pretty much at the mercy of the casters to provide what I need, and that's not always gonna be a boolit sized exactly to my personal spec's. The difference between standard commercial lubes and the Bayou Bullet dry lube is like night and day when it comes to leading (and smoke) issues.

Now, to the point, you guys that are casting your own might be interested in checking out the lube that's used on the Bayou Bullets. Unless he's encountering a shortage, Mr. Donnie does sell the lube (with instructions on how to apply/bake it on). A phone call to him might give you a new twist to your boolit making.

surv

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I've been loading a lot of Bayou Bullets ... not so much for the bullet/mold design as for the totally encapsulated dry lube used. I haven't loaded any 9mm with the Bayou Bullets, but have in .45 acp ... all the rest I load are revolver rounds. From the 5-6 handguns I've run the B/B's through, there's absolutely no comparison with standard lubed cast bullets. I don't cast my own, so I'm pretty much at the mercy of the casters to provide what I need, and that's not always gonna be a boolit sized exactly to my personal spec's. The difference between standard commercial lubes and the Bayou Bullet dry lube is like night and day when it comes to leading (and smoke) issues.

Now, to the point, you guys that are casting your own might be interested in checking out the lube that's used on the Bayou Bullets. Unless he's encountering a shortage, Mr. Donnie does sell the lube (with instructions on how to apply/bake it on). A phone call to him might give you a new twist to your boolit making.

surv
    Thank you, this I may try. But of course not taking any orders right now!!! lol

Joe

I am going to give you life changing info here.
    General Motors Top engine cleaner
    Brush on wipe off.
    Warning you only need a little and the whole bottle is very expensive they can sell it buy the ounce... so bring a small container. Unless your rich, Like Odell, then buy the whole bottle!
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”