Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast bullet leading woes!

Quote Originally Posted by fuji1 View Post
    Thank you, this I may try. But of course not taking any orders right now!!! lol

Joe

Joe

Call the phone number. Yes, he does have the "not taking orders" message posted, but that apparantly is for large bulk orders on his boolits. I called a couple of weeks ago and ordered 500 of his 240 gr lswc's in .44, and had them the next week. But, that was a "small order" for a "not so popular" bullet. As for the lube supplies, he just may have it available ... I don't know, but he does answer the phone and talk to you.

surv

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

.3540" is tight,my CW9 measures .3555"

Surv,

Thank you, I'll call Monday

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BorisJBoris View Post
    My new CM9
    Therein is your problem.

You have an unlapped bore.

CJB,

You might be right but I cast and load for 17 other guns, including a new CW45, and exactly none of them have a leading problem and, to the best of my knowledge, not a single one of them has a lapped bore. Is there something different about the CM9?

Ed

If the other guns were shot to any significant amount with jacketed bullets, they were lapped by those bullets. If you took a brand new Kahr rifled barrel and shot cast bullets in it, I'd be surprised to not have it lead.

There was a time when most barrels were lapped as part of manufacturing. Even Bar-Sto used to give a cautionary note about lead bullets and lapping - but they left it up to you to do (or not do...).

You might want to shoot some jacketed bullets thru the Kahr, maybe even do some JB compound or (my favorite) FLITZ through the bore. FLITZ does a really good job, and its almost impossible to screw up.

And another thing - Kahr barrels are nickle plated - inside and out - and that plating is a little lumpy. Kahr knows the reason for the plating, but I suspect its to prevent galling between the barrel and slide. That plating needs smoothing out as well.

Hope that helps!~

I don't normally buy new handguns so for the most part I can't say whether jacketed bullets have been down the tube or not. However, the Kahr CW45 as well as a Smith M&P 45 were both bought new have been fed nothing but cast bullets and neither lead to any noticeable degree. None the less, your argument makes sense and I'll break out my jar of JB.

Thanks,
    Ed

Try some FLITZ ... it works better - been there.

Here's an update. I've done hours of reading and given the kind of leading I had (in the grooves all the way down the barrel) it was clear that I was getting blow by and that hot gasses were cutting lead and sending it done the barrel. That usually mean the bullet diameter is too small.

Armed with that info I tried every combo of four different cast bullets run through three different bullet dies. No luck. Then, since an alloy with with a BHN of 12 didn't work, I tried one tempered to BHN 20 and then escalated to pure linotype. Same dismal results.

Finally someone suggested that my nice fat bullets were getting sized back down when I seated them the case. On his reccomendation I ordered a Lyman .357 M-die. It came this afternoon and based on a brief test session in the back yard, I'm prepared to declare victory.

Ed

Running an alloy with Tin in it will help to fill out the lead and make then cast a little larger also