Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested to hear about CT on PM9

Default Interested to hear about CT on PM9

If you have the Crimson Trace laser on the front of the PM9, please discuss the good, bad, and ugly for concealed carry. At personal defense distances, does a semi-auto benefit?

I have the CT grips on my snubby revolver because I may need to defend myself with the revolver held at waist level, due to injury or struggle. But a semi-auto would be limp-wristed in those positions and won't function anyway, right? In other words, doesn't a semi-auto need to be held firmly enough to point shoot at self defense distances (0 to 10 feet or so)?

So, does a laser earn its way (weight-wise) onto a pocket semi-auto pistol for personal defense?

Thanks for your help!

Talking

Well........my opinion is it defeats the SMALL size of a PM and makes the pistol less concealable. The Kahr's are made to be the smallest 9's [and 40's] made. I also feel at the distance this pistol is designed for "concealed carry", a lasor is not needed. For personal protection you normally are looking at the ten foot range, if you need a lasor at that range things are not looking good for you to be even carrying a gun. Also consider that if you shoot a bad guy much beyond that, the courts would frown at you and probably charge you for being the agressor and maybe let the poor sweet defensless bad guy go free.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I can not agree with the previous poster in any way. I have a Kahr and it is equiped with the CT laser. To assume it hinders concealablity is wrong. My gun conceals perfect and with no interferance from the laser what so ever. There are many holster mfgs. who build holsters specifically for this setup. I can shot this weapon very accurately without the laser and with it the bullet will hit the red dot at 6 yards.

If I were to use the laser at 10 feet because I needed it, say I was knocked over or poked in the eye or it was darker then my eyes can focus quickly in, I would be very happy I have it equiped on the gun. In that case "things would look very good for anyone who has it to be carrying a weapon". The laser is a tool that when used properly is very effective, when relied upon soley is then misused. I would not say it is a must or that everyone should have one but I would not be bold enough to imply anyone without one somehow is less capable or qualified to carry a weapon. I think it is effective and well worth it for me. I would suggest it but not consider it manditory.

RCG
    .......It's that you shot!

Stay thirsty my friend!

99% of the Liberals give the rest of them a bad name

Well I had one and found very LIMITED holster selection. I also feel the Crimson Trace is rather fragile. Every one has an opinion. I know I am happier without it. You may like it. Some people likes lots of chrome, some people only need function.
    Heaven forbid if you ever by accident drop your gun, I think the Crimson would be a casuality.:75:
    Last edited by jeepster09; 04-15-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    "Life Member NRA"

Point taken!!! I know what you mean......some people like function, some people have the dexterity to simultaiously do more then one thing effectively.

If the crimson did break I could still make a hole right were I want with my gun. You need to practice for every situation.

Like I said I suggest it, I don't hink anyone has to have it.

Want to get together and shot some time, I am in the cities about 3 times a month......

RCG
    .......It's that you shot!

Stay thirsty my friend!

99% of the Liberals give the rest of them a bad name

Instead of laser for close encounter carry gun.....carry this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Well........my opinion is it defeats the SMALL size of a PM and makes the pistol less concealable. The Kahr's are made to be the smallest 9's [and 40's] made. I also feel at the distance this pistol is designed for "concealed carry", a lasor is not needed. For personal protection you normally are looking at the ten foot range, if you need a lasor at that range things are not looking good for you to be even carrying a gun. Also consider that if you shoot a bad guy much beyond that, the courts would frown at you and probably charge you for being the agressor and maybe let the poor sweet defensless bad guy go free.
    One point to remember, not everyone has perfect vision. The CT Laserguard gives you another tool in the event your glasses are knocked off. People with less than perfect eyesite have trouble seeing the sight, or target, and wear bi-focals. The CT gives them the ability to place the gun on target.

Being familiar and accurate with the gun is first and foremost. There are enough holsters out there to choose and keep the PM9 concealed well. Like night sites I think it's important not to get dependent on the laser. I'm sure they can/have proved to be a useful tool in quick situations.

I've personally listened to stories where the laser alone was enough to ward off an attacker. That being the case it would be money well spent and the hassle of not having to make a statement to the 50.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

I-Y-G

http://designlinetx.com/

Default CT

I have to agree with recoil and in-yo-grill, first and foremost is to be skilled and knowledgible of the firearm BUT there are situations that a CT would/could be very useful beside the fore mentioned eyesight and being knocked on your butt, what about in an automobile or just seated in general when you can't extend to a proper shooting position. The deterent factor is something to think about, SOME people are smart enough to stop what they are doing when the red dot appears on their chest!
    As for concealing it the CT doesn't make much difference, I carry mine in my front pocket, there are plenty of great pocket holsters out there!

Bottom line is DO WHATS RIGHT AND COMFORTABLE FOR YOU!
    Cheers,

Where ya been Smoke Eater, haven't been around for awhile. Glad your back.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."