Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Spent casing not fully ejected

Default Spent casing not fully ejected

I was firing my Kahr MK9 at the range yesterday. Up to now, I have never had a failure of any kind. This time I had two spent casings get caught in the ejection port after firing with the next round fed in the chamber. Any guesses as to the problem? Or just one of those days?

It could be several factors...

1 - dirty feed ramp
    2 - after firing many shots, wrist is tired, limp wristng
    3 - Recoil spring showing its age
    4 - bogus ammo
    5 - just one of those days

I had the same situation happen to me with my Colt Commander. Two failure feeds. I have shot thouseands of rounds through the gun with absolutely no issues. Nor could I recreate the issue. I chalked it off to "one of those days".

Possably #2 in 1911 statement.

Give the gun a good cleaning and spray behind that extractor area also, You could have some build up in that area not allowing the extractor to do it's work right. Just a good spray cleaning will do it. Lube the gun and try again.

If it continues you might have a problem, if it doesn't, then chalk it up to "whatever". Maybe a change in recoil springs is needed...

well it only has about 200 rounds through it

Default possably

Quote Originally Posted by jvberryjr View Post
    well it only has about 200 rounds through it
    more rounds down range will smooth it out for you. We're not here to criticise you in any way, We are just trying to add some insight into your problem. Had I know you only had a couple hundred rounds through it, I would not have even mention the recoil springs.

Does it have or need a notch? The small notch between the recoil spring assembly and barrel openings at the inside front of the slide. I don't know if the MK series need this... or even if the K's need this.
    I just looked and my K9 doesn't have the notch, but the metal in that area is thin and "nicked"... leading me to believe that it could use one! The PM9, PM45 and CW .45's do have or SHOULD have the notch. Without it, the recoil spring assembly beats against that area until it makes one and the "timing" of the barrel doing its up and down and the spring assembly trying to do its thing with the barrel will be off and ejection and chambering functions are affected. I'll take pix of my K9 because it shows that it needs the notching, because there's definitely battering of that area going on and the area is very thin like some of the .45's that had problems.
    Okay, with round file and trusty(?) Dremel-like tool I notched the thin material a bit giving the spring assembly some room to move up and down as the barrel does. I polished that area a bit. I'm not as neat as the factory, but then you probably saw the marred rear Trijicon night sight on my P380, left that way after a trip back to the factory. I don't know if the newer K9s and whatever else need this touch up, but I could see there was conflict in the K9.
    Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Does it have or need a notch? The small notch between the recoil spring assembly and barrel openings at the inside front of the slide. I don't know if the MK series need this... or even if the K's need this.
    I just looked and my K9 doesn't have the notch, but the metal in that area is thin and "nicked"... leading me to believe that it could use one! The PM9, PM45 and CW .45's do have or SHOULD have the notch. Without it, the recoil spring assembly beats against that area until it makes one and the "timing" of the barrel doing its up and down and the spring assembly trying to do its thing with the barrel will be off and ejection and chambering functions are affected. I'll take pix of my K9 because it shows that it needs the notching, because there's definitely battering of that area going on and the area is very thin like some of the .45's that had problems.
    Okay, with round file and trusty(?) Dremel-like tool I notched the thin material a bit giving the spring assembly some room to move up and down as the barrel does. I polished that area a bit. I'm not as neat as the factory, but then you probably saw the marred rear Trijicon night sight on my P380, left that way after a trip back to the factory. I don't know if the newer K9s and whatever else need this touch up, but I could see there was conflict in the K9.
    Wynn
    My MK9 has the notch. Never paid much attention to it before but it's beautifully machined. Don't recall if my K40 has it or not. No Kahrs or anything else for me today at the gun show. SO, off my K40 goes to Magna Port. Might be as close to a new gun as I get for awhile. Sometimes changing them just a bit helps relieve that I gotta have a new gun sydrome. At least holds it off for a bit.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have the notch, but one thing I did notice was that the barrel lug that receives the spring/guide rod assembly doesn't have a curved profile to receive the matching curved end of the guide rod. Could that be an issue? See attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images