Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM9 - Feed ramp pitting

Default CM9 - Feed ramp pitting

I was dropping off a CM9 (only 100 rounds fired) at my local gunsmith to have my slide treated with Cerakote. While we were talking he looked at my feed ramp and asked me if I was shooting hollowpoints exclusively. I remember looking at the feed ramp when I first got it and there wasn't anything remarkable about it. After 100 rounds of round nose frangible and maybe a few JHP there were some deep pitting marks on the feed ramp. I had him polish the feed ramp and it looks better, but I've never seen pitting before on my other handguns. Is this normal?

picutres tells a million words. I seriously doubt if it is pitting caused by any rounds. that feed ramp is nickel plated, harder than any bullets hitting tyhat ramp. If it polished out and the gun funcitiosn, then jsut shoot it like u stole it. The barrel is stainless, and I can't see how a stainless barrel that is nickel plated can pitt, especial;y after 100 rounds.

I am gonna say it is not normal and then I am gonna say it is probalb y not pitting either. My thoughts are u just never noticed it until the smitty called ur attention to it.

I am giving u my 21 cents worth on this without seeing any photos also..

my thoughts and probably u have already let the slide go to the smitty is that ur sue in a hurry to cerekote that slide and u have not given the gun a chance to break itself in or maybe break itself out even. One thing is for certin, u cerekote it and u have issues, expect nothing from kahr towards ur cerekote cost if a slide needs replaced etc.

If u feel confident all is well , then my point is a mute point to
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I'd like to see the Cerekote job when it is finished. I was thinking about doing it on a used K9 I recently bought.

Are you saying the pitting was in the middle of the feed ramp as if the nose of the bullet was digging into it! That just doesn't seem possible. My CW9 has some rough dings on the side edge of the ramp but never in the middle.

You won't be able to upload photos to the forum until you reach 30 posts, but you can upload them elsewhere (like photobucket), then link to them in your post.

good point lorenzo on the middle part of the ramp.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I really wanted to take photos of my feed ramp prior to leaving it with the smith but I was 40 minutes from home. I actually thought of the fact that I wanted to post a photo on Kahrtalk, but phone pics are horrible. Since the guy didn't spend more than 10 minutes polishing the ramp I doubt it was terribly deep, however I felt a little weird about it. The markings were in the middle of the feed ramp and ran the length from the bottom to the top. I felt it with my fingernail and could feel the ridges as I scraped it.

Here's a picture of my slide post coating. I also had to put a new front sight so I went ahead and put a trijicon on the front.

It was risky to mess with the overall functionality of the slide, however if there is a coating I'm not terribly concerned about it would be Cerakote. Additionally I looked at two more Kahrs that had been dipped and ran flawlessly so I took a chance with at least some anecdotal evidence that it would work out.

My CM40 shows some nicks on the feed ramp, not just on the edges. I polish it, it is pretty smooth but you can see the dings, probably from TMJ ammo banging into it?

i suspect it wasn't pitting in the base metal, but some of the nickel plating coming off where the bullet was hitting the ramp.

waterloo42, that black Cerekote looks great! Thanks for posting.

Is that color "graphite black"?

I'm very new to this forum but here is my .02$. My pm9 functioned great until I used my 7 round mag. I had 2 FTFs and was freaking out. I followed a YouTube video on cleaning/breaking down my gun and found some pock marks on the feed ramp. I was using Hornady JHPs. I polished the ramp with a dremel buffing wheel and it looked like new. I performed the follower mod( vey easy and I'm a noob) and haver never had a failure or pock again. I have fired over 800rds of 6 different ammo brands without issue. I was very discouraged that I needed to sand my magazines on a 700$ pistol but it took very little time and made all the difference. Now I kno
    w my gun better and it functions like it should.

Well, I just pulled (and unloaded) the CW9 pistol that lives concealed under the desk the computer is on---checked feedramp---just smooth, no marks---maybe 500-600 rounds thru it...