Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CM40...Constant F-t-F

Default CM40...Constant F-t-F

Am using Fiocchi 165gr FMJ and Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo in this weapon and am getting 25% FTF's beyond the break-in period. Have also been using a medium target load (yes, the dreaded handload) using a 165gr plated bullet and a 155gr SWC lead bullet.

Regardless of the ammo above being used, I get FTT's with the offending round being driven straight forward and nosing into the feed ramp at the point where the slide lock is located.

In every case, the slide refuses to lock back after the last round.

Am a little annoyed with the indifference of Kahr customer service and them telling me that if I try enough different types of ammunition, that one of them is eventually going to work. They obviously have not tried to buy 40SW lately and I do not have the excess funds to be buying $30 boxes of ammo as an experiment (when and if I can even find it).

Am about to send this down the road because I most certainly cannot stake my life on it.

have u checked ur magazie follower to see if it could be broke?? Have u looked at the kahrt tech section and hit on the propper prepping thread.there are some tips there to look for that might help u.

ARE U HAving these issue with handloads or with new factory american ammo???.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

A lot of those will break the followers in the magazine. My pm9 broke one and it still worked ok though. Something you could check. And make sure the spring is installed right I heard some came backwards From factory

If you have a Dremel or an electric drill polish the feed ramp with red or white rouge.
    Make certain there is NO oil in the magazines. In a Kahr, oil allows the rounds to move forward resulting in PSL and feed jams. The tighter the round in the mag the better. I have one mag I almost have to fight with the rounds to go in, and it works perfectly.
    I suggest, if you can find it, either Winchester 135 JHP or Speer Gold Dot 165 Gr.
    Both have a narrow profile and should get past the Slide Lock and go up the ramp. FMJ Flat Nose rounds can be a problem in that gun, mine would not feed Fiocchi FN rounds.

As far as not locking open, check the mag for a broken follower.
    Does it lock open if you hand cycle it with an empty mag? If so, you may be limpwristing.

And like the man said, open up the mag and make sure the spring is installed properly and not broken.

Didn't I read that lead bullets are not recommended in the poly barrel? I bet the feed ramp and inside the chamber are lead contaminated. Give the gun a good clean and polish and see if it cures the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    Didn't I read that lead bullets are not recommended in the poly barrel? I bet the feed ramp and inside the chamber are lead contaminated. Give the gun a good clean and polish and see if it cures the problem.
    its not a poly barrel, but standard rifling. all cm models are standard rifling,
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

If it was my CM40 I would make Kahr take it back on their dime to try to make it right. If it is a new gun they should pay shipping.

The unfortunate part is that there are very few types/brands of ammunition that have been tested in properly calibrated ballistic gel (bare or 4 layers of denim) that will expand and penetrate properly from a 3" barrel. The Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel is one of them. This pistol absolutely will not cycle them and it is my greatest concern as I know how that ammo performs. Am going to try the Hornady Critical Defense as a final test before sending this paperweight down the road.

My old G27 w/KKM barrel (40SW) would cycle any of the loads/bullets mentioned at the beginning of this thread without the slightest hiccup whatsoever. Had put at least 4000rds through it without issue. Also have a CM9 that will digest anything fired in it and I mean "a n y t h i n g".

The whole point of this exercise was to go with a unit that had the 40SW caliber, but the weight/size of the CM9 because my CM9 (and those of my friends) had been so ultra-dependable. It seems that all CM models are not created equal.

Have examined the follower and spring...all are good. Feed ramp is highly polished as it came from Kahr. Contours of the slide release seem proper. The slide will lock manually. Much of my shooting is done off the hip at well under 10 feet, so limp-wristing is not the slightest concern as the pistol is braced firmly.

Have tweaked the feed lips on the mag to no avail as that is SOP to get a higher angle on the nose of the top round in the mag. Am beginning to wonder if the mag itself is sitting high enough though. Seems it could actually sit .040" higher without issue and that would help matters because the nose of the bullet is contacting the feed ramp waaay too low. The slide release lever is quite tight and I am going to rectify that situation, not that it will improve feeding.

Take a look at the extractor. Make sure the rims can slide up into it cleanly. If not, the gun will not feed. Also check the breech face. Needs to be clean and smooth, if not same issue.
    Think about how it feeds. Follower on the slide pushes the top round into the ramp and it bounces up into the chamber, it is not a straight in feed.
    I have heard of a Kahr having a bad mag catch which allowed the mag to ride too low. That would make a difference.
    Of course, if you are using the one mag that came with the gun, you need to try another mag since mags are the root of all evil in automatics.

IMO, u really need to let kahr look at it. a email to kahr , attn Jay willget you a RA#. why send it downthe road, ??Give kar a chancetomake it righ. Not the end of the world when a gun gives issues. That is what a warranty is for, and for me anyhow I would not release a gun that does not work right to anyone or trade itin that way. reverse that situation and think if u would like it...

U have chekced the gun over enough to get a feel of what is right and wrong, so let kahr have it back to do it right. If u bought a new car and it wasnot right, u would let a dealer work with it. The most perfect guns out there can malfunction on the very next squueze of the triggers.. Just my 21 cents on this to. Its ur gun, ..

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY