Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Took a course for my Mississippi enhanced ccw license

Default Took a course for my Mississippi enhanced ccw license

In Mississippi, there is no course or anything you have to take to get a ccw permit. But a few years ago they made a enhanced concealed carry addition to your permit that you can get by taking a course. Course has to be 8 hours and consist of a class and shooting, but the coursework and shooting requirements are up to the instructor. Mississippi has about 40 certified instructors that can teach it and I finally took one on Saturday under Brad Harbour.

The regular ccw permit has restrictions on places you can carry such as schools, hospitals, placed with "no guns" signs and a few other places. The enhanced ccw permit removes almost all of those places except for courtrooms when trials are in session and police stations. I mainly took the course so I wouldn't ever feel like i need to return to my car when I see a "No firearms" sign.

The course was pretty good. The classwork part consisted of about 3 hours of talking about firearms, the actual firearm laws of Mississippi, traveling state to state, and then allowed us to ask questions.

For the shooting, we had to travel a bit to get to the "range". Basically just someone's land. We shot about 50 times in total at a plate in four groups of six people, since there were 24 of us there.

We then had to qualify by shooting 5 rounds strong hand only at 3 yards, 5 rounds support hand only at 3 yards, 5 rounds at 5 yards, 5 at 7 and 5 at 10 yards, at the following target. We could only hit outside of the gray area 2-3 times to qualify (not sure on the specifics). A few people had to do it all again to qualify, but everyone was able to.

Here's how I shot:

Only one person shot better than I did. Only me and one other person were shooting subcompacts and the guy who shot better than me was shooting a huge .22 semi, while I was shooting my Kahr PM9 with big dot night sights. So overall, I felt like I shot pretty well.

The course was pretty fun. Our groups took turn shooting and it was fun watching the others shoot as well. It also felt very safe, because we were not allowed to have any ammo or magazines in the classroom part, and then when we were shooting, we had to keep our guns holstered unless we were at the shooting line, so this kept people from fiddling with their firearms when they weren't watching.

So I finally got my certificate and went to the DMV today to get the sticker applied to my permit and they are out of the stickers and I can't get it for 2 weeks

niceshootin, really mean it...

clue mein, what is the sticker part at DMV..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

The enhanced ccw permit isn't a different permit, they just put a sticker on your regular ccw permit that signifies that you have the enhanced permit. They do this at the gun permit office in the Department of Motor Vehicles. Since they are out of stickers, I will have to wait another two weeks before my ccw permit can be upgraded to enhanced ccw.

Based on your description, I really like this "enhanced" permit. I wish Florida would adopt it.
    BTW, two things I have done to improve my preparedness for CCW is read some of Massad Ayoob's books and books he recommends. I also have started shooting local IDPA matches to improve my confidence with my carry. I find that there are lots of topics to explore when it comes being a responsible licensee.
    NRA - Member
    GOA - Member
    K40 Steel Frame x3,
    P380,
    T40- SSP
    S&W 10-8 - SSR
    96F
    "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight..."

Took my class in March and my permit came in the mail the first of April. Had to take the permit and certificate from the class to DPS for them to put the sticker on. Mississippi is not so backwards as liberal media thinks.

Not going to say that things are better in Texas because we have to take a course to get the CCW license. Full day (10 hours) devoted to the Texas State Laws for use and then a 50 round qualification at 3, 7 and 15 yards. We can carry where not prohibited by law.
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

Quote Originally Posted by MW surveyor View Post
    Not going to say that things are better in Texas because we have to take a course to get the CCW license.
    There are advantages to the course requirement.

My state issues CCW by mail order. That's right. Print the application off the internet and mail it in with a $10 check. Done. Good for 4 years. Carry anywhere except courthouses.

The disadvantage of that practice is that fewer states recognize my permit. States with training requirements don't want to enter into reciprocity agreements with a mail order state.

With the freedom/liberty comes some disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    There are advantages to the course requirement.

My state issues CCW by mail order. That's right. Print the application off the internet and mail it in with a $10 check. Done. Good for 4 years. Carry anywhere except courthouses.

The disadvantage of that practice is that fewer states recognize my permit. States with training requirements don't want to enter into reciprocity agreements with a mail order state.

Shouldn't be and doesn't have to be that way.
    I am so pleased that here in Washington we get a thorough back ground check but no classes and no quals. I have issues with so called expert instructors who received their credentials from places that may or may not be credible.

I'd much prefer a well put together rule book that is required reading. Just sign that you read the rule book and pay your money get your permit and have it recognized nationwide or at least all parts of the semi free nation. California, NY, CT, Chicago obviously excluded for safety sake.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I tend to agree colone, but Indiana requires only what ur stinking state of Washington does, and our adjoining state ofd HOHIO will reciprocate if u have a ccw permit ONLY if you have taken a training course to carry which in HOHIO means shootin in front of some expert instructor. so basically what I am sayin (in case this is getting to deep for u to understand) is that even though both of our states have ccw permts and reciprocate, only HIHIO esidents can carry legally in Indiand where as us Indiana people canot carry into HOHIO. Kinda fokked up I know but it is what it is. And then ournegihboring state of Illinois, thoses tupid ass bastards recognize nuttin for their people or out of states. If they catch u in Illinois, they hang u on thye spot, no questions asked. There is bodies all along Hwy 74 of poor dumb fokk Indiana people who didn't know all the rules.. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Shouldn't be and doesn't have to be that way.
    I absolutely agree!

Unfortunately, because the freedom I enjoy in my state is not universal to all states, I am being harmed by states with more stringent requirements.

I'm not happy about it. I wish my vote could change the gun laws of other states. But it doesn't work that way. I have to rely on the residents of other states to vote for the right candidates.

Some states are struggling with that.