In Mississippi, there is no course or anything you have to take to get a ccw permit. But a few years ago they made a enhanced concealed carry addition to your permit that you can get by taking a course. Course has to be 8 hours and consist of a class and shooting, but the coursework and shooting requirements are up to the instructor. Mississippi has about 40 certified instructors that can teach it and I finally took one on Saturday under Brad Harbour.

The regular ccw permit has restrictions on places you can carry such as schools, hospitals, placed with "no guns" signs and a few other places. The enhanced ccw permit removes almost all of those places except for courtrooms when trials are in session and police stations. I mainly took the course so I wouldn't ever feel like i need to return to my car when I see a "No firearms" sign.

The course was pretty good. The classwork part consisted of about 3 hours of talking about firearms, the actual firearm laws of Mississippi, traveling state to state, and then allowed us to ask questions.

For the shooting, we had to travel a bit to get to the "range". Basically just someone's land. We shot about 50 times in total at a plate in four groups of six people, since there were 24 of us there.

We then had to qualify by shooting 5 rounds strong hand only at 3 yards, 5 rounds support hand only at 3 yards, 5 rounds at 5 yards, 5 at 7 and 5 at 10 yards, at the following target. We could only hit outside of the gray area 2-3 times to qualify (not sure on the specifics). A few people had to do it all again to qualify, but everyone was able to.

Here's how I shot:

Only one person shot better than I did. Only me and one other person were shooting subcompacts and the guy who shot better than me was shooting a huge .22 semi, while I was shooting my Kahr PM9 with big dot night sights. So overall, I felt like I shot pretty well.

The course was pretty fun. Our groups took turn shooting and it was fun watching the others shoot as well. It also felt very safe, because we were not allowed to have any ammo or magazines in the classroom part, and then when we were shooting, we had to keep our guns holstered unless we were at the shooting line, so this kept people from fiddling with their firearms when they weren't watching.

So I finally got my certificate and went to the DMV today to get the sticker applied to my permit and they are out of the stickers and I can't get it for 2 weeks