Magnum Research new   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CM9 Blown

ok, I missed that part, u can come out of the rock. My bad.Time for NCIS to come on,so Diva is my DIVA. Tony realy wants to nail her. U can see it in his and her eyes to. before the season ends they will at each other like there is no tomorrow. Don't ask me how I know all of this. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Aww thank you, I was getting lonely and tired.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..

Let me start out by saying that I know the ammo is what caused the problem. For the record, it was factory ammo fresh out of the box, not reloaded..

My issue is how the gun handled the blown case. Not a fan of things blowing off the gun I carry to protect myself and my family.. Am I way off base here in thinking that the barrel should support all the case and not have that cutout i'm showing in the 3rd picture?

I'm not trying to say the gun is a piece of crap.. I love this gun!!

Kahrs design is common and we can see what happens when a casing blows when the round is partially supported. It appears detonation will take the path of least resistance which didn't include out the barrel in the OP's gun..

Anyone with first hand experience of what happens when a casing blows when the design of the pistol fully supports the round? I have never come across this.
    "So Others May Live"

PM9/night sights/CM9 barrel
    PM40/night sights

Quote Originally Posted by higgsjunk View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..

Let me start out by saying that I know the ammo is what caused the problem. For the record, it was factory ammo fresh out of the box, not reloaded..

My issue is how the gun handled the blown case. Not a fan of things blowing off the gun I carry to protect myself and my family.. Am I way off base here in thinking that the barrel should support all the case and not have that cutout i'm showing in the 3rd picture?

I'm not trying to say the gun is a piece of crap.. I love this gun!!
    OK, I am chalenging the validity of your picture that you are claiming that the case is unsupported. I am also offended by your claim of non support. Evidently you did not have the barrel locked into the slide and that unlocked position showed more ot the case making it "appear" to be un supported. In fact, the case "IS" fully supported.
    A better way to check support is with the barrel completely removed from the gun. Drop in a live round and take a flashlight and visually check all the way around the case. There is only a very small area of the case visable at any area around the entire case. There is absolutely no half moon unsuppported area that you are showing in your picture. You are inferring that there is a problem where none exists. Now take your caliper and measure the inside case depth of a fired case with the depth measure end of the caliper. Withdraw the caliper and using the protruding end part of the caliper without changing the measurement, hold it on the outside of the case and you will see the peg does not extent beyound the area you could see with the flashlight while looking at the seated bullet. You can do the measurement with a fired case to make it easier. Your bullet failure was not due to an unsupported case, no way. I have a CM9 and everything I have said here I have verified on my own gun.

Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    No one asked if this was a reload!
    If it was, the answer is obvious.
    But the next question, was this a JHP round that had been used as the top round for loading a few times? It could have been a case of bullet setback. It does not take that much setback in a Glock .40 to yield a KABOOM, so it is quite possible in a 9mm as well, as the pressures are similar.
    Beyond that, if it was a virgin factory round, it could just have been a defective case. It can happen.
    In which event, there should be a case against the ammo maker for liability.

But I would look at the above issues first. Blowouts are not all that common in 9mm. My department shoots over 13000 rounds a week of 9mm since 1995 and I have never heard of a case blowout.

I have seen a few personally in .38 spl, usually the brass has been worked too many times, but I never had a catastrophic failure. But then I am always conservative on my powder charges.
    SCOSGT, Your bullet setback theory is more likely. Help me out here and if you still have your Kahr do the check for support that I outlined and post back your results for support or no support here on this post.

Mine is a CM40.

Quote Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
    Mine is a CM40.
    The support in the barrel will be the same as a CM9.

I don't wanna piss in anybody's Wheaties, but can someone explain how ammo got that far out of the chamber before the case blew? Thats the point where the barrel is just beginning to lock up to the slide. The bullet should have been long gone, and chamber/barrel pressure well safe before the case began be with drawn from the chamber. That last part can be proven by physics, should anyone want the math, I'll be happy to provide it.

I see another problem. I see... and I'm sorry to say, the striker stuck forward, causing a slam fire.

Just my call without seeing the situation in person.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    I don't wanna piss in anybody's Wheaties, but can someone explain how ammo got that far out of the chamber before the case blew? Thats the point where the barrel is just beginning to lock up to the slide. The bullet should have been long gone, and chamber/barrel pressure well safe before the case began be with drawn from the chamber. That last part can be proven by physics, should anyone want the math, I'll be happy to provide it.

I see another problem. I see... and I'm sorry to say, the striker stuck forward, causing a slam fire.

Just my call without seeing the situation in person.
    A slam fire could have cause the bullet to fire before the lock up, I say that is very possible if the striker was in front of the striker safety instead of behind it. The owners manual talks about that problem and how to correct it and also how it happens. A slam fire would be a user error in re-assembly of the gun after cleaning.