Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Thompson broke !

Quote Originally Posted by redzr View Post
    well the extractor came off again last night after 20 rounds. Thankfully it did not lock the bolt but it did pop off the end of the bolt. I reattached it and it came off again after 1 round. I have a new extractor coming in today (gunsmith suggested I get a spare since the original was slightly bent). so we will see if that helps.

The slots in the bolt look fine I am hoping its just the extractor.

The frustrating part was the first 20 rounds were fired at a target approximately 20 yards away and the gun was dead accurate. I basically shot the center out of the target.

Anyone else encounter this?
    Dan
    I've not had any extractor problems either, I don't have a whole lot of rounds through mine. I have some spare parts, don't remember if I have an extractor or not, guess I better check.

I'm gonna check into that spring kit as well, been meaning to do that since it first came up and never did. Maybe I'm turning into a procrastinator?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I was going to accuse you of being one, B, but decided I would wait, and do it later.
    Rob
    "Nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot." - Harry Callahan

SA M1A1 SBR Thompson owner
    http://floridasmostwanted.webs.com/

Glad to see you back, and thanks for the suggestion on the spares.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

Posted this in the machinegun forum, but then read this and thought it ought to be here: by the way, I have a 1927A1 steel receiver and was using brass case 230g.

"I have read several other threads with this happening to their Kahr semis - so I thought I'd pass this along, perhaps this is a chronic Kahr design problem that Kahr should fix.

"I bought my Kahr last summer, put 100 rds and some thru the gun. Basically no problem and I gave the gun a good review. I expected problems because I had read Kahr horrow stories. Then I put the gun up and returned to the bigger bang on the M1 Garand. This spring I took the gun out so that my daughter could see what it was like.

"Put five rounds in a Seymour 20 rd mag and the gun ran perfectly. Waited a bit, the put another five in the same mag, she chambered a rd, fired fine, and then it failed to extract completely. I went to clear the rd for her and the bolt was jammed mid way back in the reciever. Would not budge. I could not really visualize the extracter or the bolt head.

"It took some effort but I was able to seperate upper from lower, and eventually move the bolt enough backwards that it left the extractor which was wedged between side of upper and bolt. The extractor had a slight curve in it, but I am thinking that might be normal to hold it in the bolt. I slipped the extractor back in the bolt and it snapped in place. It seems to slide in the upper OK now, normally. There is a slight scrap along the side of the upper where the bolt rides.

"I don't know, I have not decided if I should go out and fire it and see if it works, or just get a new extractor. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

"So this seems to be an issue with Kahr's?"

Not with mine. I don't have a whole lot of rounds thru it, I bought it used and the round count could not have been very high but I've not had any issue such as described here.

I do hear of people keep spare extractors on hand so maybe it's a concern.

I haven't been there yet myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default My Thompson is still broken !

OK- I installed a new extractor and went to the range yesterday and one shot is all I got before feed/extractor problems. The spend casing was still kinda sideways in the gun and lodging the bolt partially back and the extractor was pulled from the bolt (the rear was still in the groves but the extractor was pulled 1/4" or so beyond the front of the bolt.

Upon returning home I took the gun apart and noticed that the empty casing fit in the end of the bolt very, very tight. After it snapped under the extractor it was very tough to remove. Upon closer examination I noticed that the a portion of the bolt "facing" (the round hollow part that slides over the shell) was slightly bent inwards right below the slot on the ejector side of the bolt.

I used my Dremel to dress it a little and remove a little material to make it round again. The shell seems to extract much easier from the bolt.

I am going to test it again tomorrow to see if the bend was wedging the empty casing enough to prevent easy extraction- I really hope that is the case.

If not I am going to ship it back to AO. Does anyone have any recent experiences with their repair services they would like to share?

Thank you,
    Dan

Good luck on it Dan.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble, Dan...let us know what happens.
    Rob
    "Nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot." - Harry Callahan

SA M1A1 SBR Thompson owner
    http://floridasmostwanted.webs.com/

Well its going back to AO. I got one shot off before the extractor came out again and jammed the bolt with a live round in limbo. I got the round out but the bolt is simply stuck. I hope they have excellent repair abilities !

Quote Originally Posted by redzr View Post
    Well its going back to AO. I got one shot off before the extractor came out again and jammed the bolt with a live round in limbo. I got the round out but the bolt is simply stuck. I hope they have excellent repair abilities !
    I had the exact same problem with approximately the same number of rounds as you are experiencing.

I bought my gun new in October of 2011. Within a couple hundred rounds it jammed and would not fire. Since it was brand new I brought it back to my dealer and they sent it back to AO.

Six weeks later it came back and the first time back to the range within 50 rounds the extractor fell out. Back to the dealer, back to AO. I talked to AO this time and they said because it was a repeat the chief gunsmith would do the work and it would move to the front of the line. I had it back in about 8 days and it's worked perfectly since then.

I've got a couple spare extractors in my case now, just in case.

Of course since I've spent the money and actually have the spares, the extractor will never fall out again.

Cheap insurance...