Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Thompson broke !

Ok all. In desperation I sent it back this afternoon along with both mags so they can check those as well. I hope they can fix it correctly the first time. I have read a lot of bad stuff about A/O service not being very good and hope they are on top of their game now!
    Dan

An update- I received my gun back today in the mail with a summary of their work. It lists the following:
    1) rework bolt & extractor
    2) lube
    3) test- works fine

It looks as if they simply "pinned" the extractor into the bolt by drilling a semi-vertical hole through the bolt that going through the extractor. They then inserted a metal pin into the hole to anchor the extractor. All of this was done toward the rear of the extractor

Anyone ever seen this done before? I hope this fixes it!

Dan

If it didn't they'll be going at it again until it does. No question about that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default My Thompson broke

Well I ran about 80 rounds through my rifle today and the results were good and bad. The good is that with the factory 30 round mag the gun ran perfectly- at 20 yards I punched the center out of a target- a ton of fun !!!!!

The bad thing is that the second 30 round mag that I purchased from AO is not feeding correctly. I asked them if they would swap it for another one.
    Dan

Well I received my rifle back and wanted to provide a quick update. First it came back in two weeks. I was a little alarmed because it just arrived one day and I had expected an email or phone call from them on its status, but it was repaired under warranty and free of charge.

I was experiencing problems with the extractor slipping off the bolt and jamming the gun. To sove the problem they "pinned" the extractor to the bolt by drilling a small vertical hole through both and inserting a metal pin to hold the extractor at the rear of the extractor.

I took it to the range on Monday and loaded a mag with 25 rounds in it and hoped for the best. To say the gun ran flawlessly would be an understatement. I remained lined up on the target and continued to pull the trigger until it jammed again or was empty. All 25 rounds fired and I punched the center of the target out. The gun was awesome! I fired another 20 rounds with that mag and it too worked perfectly

The only problem I had was the second 30 round mag I purchased from them would jam the gun. Upon inspection it looked as if the hole for the mag catch was too big and not allowing the mag to seat all the way at the top.

At about 9pm last night I sent a picture of each mag to the AO tech email and asked them if they would swap mags with me. No kidding...15 minutes later I was told I could send mine back and they would swap me.

I can not compliment AO/Kahr enough on their customer service. They were excellent !!!!!!!!

Dan

Good deal! I have been looking at the Thompson SBRs myself, and it is good to hear support is strong for them. I may just have to do another tax stamp this year.
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

Ugh, I'm in the same boat as John....way before I was old enough to own a gun I've wanted a Thompson....

I'd strongly entertain the idea of modifying the mag release to utilize unmessed with Thompson mags myself. Getting mags from Kahr and using the ones you have if you don't intend to have a pile of them is ok but by modifying the mag release you can run any GI mag.

Since no one makes aftermarket Thompson mags I almost feel guilty enlarging the hole on one.

It took me a long time to get serious and actually do it but once I started it wasn't tough. I had some issues and found that I didn't quite take enough material off the catch. Did a little fine tuning and now it works with all mags really fine.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

They do have a 50 round drum available aftermarket. Maybe sticks someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, tech support at Kahr is a joke. They seem to read from a prepared script. My Tommy has been back to the factory twice in a year and it still won't fire. They replaced the ejector and the firing pin and filed the bolt.