Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new

Thread: CW45 & lead bullets?

Default CW45 & lead bullets?

Hi all, new guy here with a question. I am looking at a CW45 and am wondering if you have experience shooting lead out of one? Especially 200gr LSW loads? The reason I ask is I have two 1911's and that is their steady diet, and I would like to stay the same with the Kahr. Any thoughts?

the barrels are OK for lead, as far as functioning, u never know until u try um.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I use lead all the time. I did have trouble cycling SWC but round nose works fine.

Appreciate the input! I sold a Springer XD because it wouldn't feed SWC. I guess I'll just have to try it and find out!

All the CW series are supposed to be conventional rifling so it should be no problem. Go for it.

fist 100 rnds. of lead round nose reloads, no problem, just a couple ftf`s.(fail to fire)
    Last edited by Buzzard45; 05-10-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Appreciate the input! I sold a Springer XD because it wouldn't feed SWC. I guess I'll just have to try it and find out!
    You might have to seat SWCs a few thousandths deeper for reliable feeding. I found that loads I have shot for years in my various 1911s were just a tiny bit too long to feed properly in my CW45. I just set the seating stem a little deeper and the loads shoot fine in the CW and my 1911s don't care. Since RNFP bullets usually are seated a bit deeper anyway, they should feed just fine...at least they do for me. Good luck and stay safe.

Byrd,
    I have a CW45 that has never had a jacketed bullet through it (except at the factory). It has been a difficult struggle but there is a happy ending. My CW has a tight chamber so getting reliable feeding has been the problem. I'll not recap all the problems but here's where I ended up. I'm shooting a Lee 200 grain round nose flat point bullet sized to .451 inches. The bullet has to be pretty hard because recoil was beating up the soft bullets by banging them around in the magazine. I use a Lee factory crimp die. Everything works perfectly now and there has never been a speck of leading, even with the softest bullets (unlike my CM9).

This is the 6th 45 acp I've reloaded cast bullets in and, by far, the least cooperative. However, it can be done and the results are worth the effort.

Ed

Recommedation: hold off on the lead until AFTER the break in period. Get it running smooth with fmj first.
    ​O|||||||O

just wish i could find some fmj round nose.(sigh) (or anything else for that matter)