Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen

Thread: New CM40 owner with an initial review

Default New CM40 owner with an initial review

Hi all,

I have been carrying a Ruger LCP for quite some time now but have had the itch to upgrade to something more powerful. My coworker brought in his PM9 and I instantly liked it due to being a 9mm and just a little bit bigger than my LCP. So I went on the hunt for a CM9 and ended up running across a CM40, which I had never heard of. The guy showed me the CM40 and the CM9 and they were almost identical in size! Needless to say, I took home the CM40.

I took it to the range today to do the 200 round break in. Admittedly, I was kind of pessimistic after reading a bunch of reviews online. Anyway, this thing ran like a sewing machine... That is until loading round 181, the mag follower broke in the exact same place as all of the reviews I read. I proceeded to finish the last 20 round despite the follower breaking and the magazine would only load 3 rounds before binding.

While I am very disappointed that the follower broke, I have nothing but good things to say about the gun itself. It ran flawlessly without a hiccup despite the abuse I put it through. I ran the first 180 rounds through it rapid firing and loading as quick as I could. I couldn't even touch the slide it was so hot. The rounds I put through it were 180 grain PMC flat nose and they ran super dirty in the Kahr, the front of the slide and the barrel were jet black. Furthermore, the gun is more accurate than I am. I am not saying I am a bad shot, but I definitely need to learn this trigger and .40S&W is a different animal from .380. My first shots were always exactly where I wanted them, I definitely need to work on my follow-ups though.

Anyway, 200 rounds later, my hand and wrist is in pain and I am very happy with my pocket cannon!

Congrats on the new Kahr and condolences on the broken follower! That seems to be quite common with the CM40's. Contact Kahr Customer Service by email with a picture and the gun's serial number ant they will send you a replacement.

A good contact:

jay.dandrea@kahr.com
    Jay D'Andrea, Kahr Customer Service, 508-795- 3919, www.kahr.com

And welcome to the forum!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Hi .308 and welcome to Kahrtalk...Glad you are liking your little hand cannon but sorry to hear about the magazine follower deal....You will get several different answers here about what to do about it but here is my 2 cents....

I would call Kahr and have them send you a shipping label and let them correct the problem....They will take a shade off the bottom of the feed ramp and keep the ramp from kissing the follower on the last shot...This is a well known defect mostly in SOME of the .40 caliber pistols....They will make it right and since it was eating everything you put through it right out of the box I'd say it's a keeper and after Kahr repairs your pistol it should never have another problem with busted followers....I have a PM40 I bought used and it's a gem, never a problem and eats anything I feed it and slingshots the first round with ease...

Now some here will say to call and have them send you a couple new followers (which they will do) but if it did it once it's likely to do it again and you don't want that to happen when a bad guy is coming at you wanting to cut your throat....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and again welcome to the best little gun forum on the internet by far!!!

Welcome. Good advice so far. But I'm wondering if you could just trim the new follower vs. altering the feed ramp. Kahr should be able to give you the best advice. I haven't been thru it myself so take my advice with a grain of salt. Just thinkin aloud. Best of luck getting things sorted out. Shouldn't be a problem. I too started shooting 40sw recently and have grown to love it. But I shoot a K model. Give you credit for shooting 40 thru that light of a gun.

Hang on.
    ​O|||||||O

I called Kahr right after leaving the range. I guess it is such a problem that they didn't even ask for a serial, just my name and address lol. Anyway, he did check to see if I have had this problem before, I am assuming they would have had me send it in.

I am going to give the new followers a go, I will request it goes in for repair if another follower breaks again.

The problem is when will the follower break again? It could break at the range or break when at the remote possibility you need to defend yourself. If it was my gun it goes back to Kahr especially for a common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kerby9mm View Post
    The problem is when will the follower break again? It could break at the range or break when at the remote possibility you need to defend yourself. If it was my gun it goes back to Kahr especially for a common problem.
    Exactly.

If it were my pistol, I would contact Jay and request a return label. Explain the fact that your CM40 was intended to be your EDC pistol but you now don't have enough confidence in it for that.

Kahr Arms knows very well that this is a problem with their pistols, especially the .40 cal. models.

It's only your life your betting on by only replacing the followers.