CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Kahr Shop

Thread: P40 to P9 Covert? Help

Default P40 to P9 Covert? Help

Ok, I found a P40 Covert in my LGS. I owned a PM40 before and it was too much felt recoil no matter which rounds I used. I've always wanted a Covert and bought the 40 anyway. A couple of weeks later, I found a nice P9 in my LGS at a good price. I bought the gun and I put the P9 slide on my P40 Covert frame and the P40 slide on the P9 frame. I used the slide release that came with each respective slide. End result, a P9 Covert and a P40. I shot both "NEW" guns 50 rds and both work flawlessly. I do not see any unusual marks etc on either frame. The P9 is very manageable. The only problem I see is the serial numbers are now weirded out. The P9 Covert is the serial number for the P40 and vice versa. I want to sell the P40 as it is really not needed. If you are the buyer of the P40, would you want to know about the transfer or just knowing you are getting a good deal on a P40 enough?

Dang, Rangemeister! I would have advised against firing the mixed components like that... just my own personal opinion and the experience I've had comparing my own Kahr 9's and P40. Now you're getting into the 10-foot pole situation... legality questions and possible consequences of the mixed components eventually failing with no recourse for the buyer. I really can't imagine anyone wanting to get into a maverick situation with a pistol like that. The questions about the gun's serial number and caliber change are giant unknowns... for the buyer... AND YOU!

JMHO

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Kind of suddenly makes me wonder how many of these switch guns are floating around out there. I can well imagine Kahr wondering what the heck, when someone inquires and the serial says it's a 9 but it's really a 40.

Many have often wondered if that switch would work and I always figured it would but it's always been advised not to do so and Kahr will be the first to say so, so it's kind of double edged. Nice to know it really does work and I was right for the 2nd time in my life but still think maybe not right.

In my opinion I would not sell as a mix master. Not nice to mess with Mother Nature.
    I'd just Covert your 9 if that's what you dream of.

I'm completely clueless as the legality of switching parts, nor do I know how they would ever actually know or what difference it would make.

It would be easy to even do by mistake.

I remember at Beretta armorer school, myself and the fella next to me got our slides mixed up, one of us had a DAO model and the other had a SA/DA.
    The instructor mentioned some agencies ridiculously wanting DAO with a safety. We were sad because we thought we'd just invented one.

Oh well.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

If you do end up selling it, I would certainly recommend absolute full disclosure. Then if the person still wants to buy it ... well so be it. Of course, one could argue that any prospective buyer has all the info they would need (i.e. with the serial number) to determine that they are not getting what they thought they were. But still, the truth is never a bad starting point.

If it were me I would keep the one of a kind P9 covert and just give the p40 away. Maybe to a grateful neighbor. Lol. In all seriousness though its probably better to just keep the p40 or if you MUST sell it do it with full disclosure.

I have considered giving the NEW P40 to someone needy, such as a person in the Fire Service or other similar capacity. Will ponder that idea. LOL, I think I have decided to return the items back to their original state and hold onto the pair until an actual P9 Covert shows up. They do occasionally and those of you who own one of these know how great a carry gun they are. The extra length makes a great difference in IWB carry and the grip length also adds to the CCW factor.

The two-finger grip of the PM's doesn't bother me... better for CCW, but I've found that I can carry the P-models as well after swapping out the magazine base plates to the real "flush-fitting" metal ones. That meant adding an O-ring to the P40 because it PINCHES during firing... and I added an O-ring to the P9 as well, as a precautionary measure. The P-size is my favorite carry now, though I still have to get used to the Big Dots on my P40. I've been carrying the P9 with the Kahr-ported barrel.

I also opted for the black metal bases, too, and the O-ring size is 3/32" diameter neoprene with 3/4" inner diameter.

Pictures here:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showpost.php...05&postcount=4

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

The O ring is an excellent addition to the magazine and helps so much with the CCW aspect. Thanks for the great pics. I sold the P40 covert (in it's natural state, and my son-in-law wants my P9) what are you gonna do? I still have my MK, the P9 was/is a great little gun!