Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TP9 vs S&W Shield 9MM

Default TP9 vs S&W Shield 9MM

I carried my TP9 for about two years. I liked how flat it was, the slightly greater capacity than many other small nines, the longer sight radius and full length grip. I improved the trigger, including lightening.

I was always concerned about the limited capacity and the narrowness of the grip, making it a little harder to shoot well. I now carry a Beretta Storm PX4C full size with a very similar trigger.

I have two family members who recently got CCW permits and asked for advice on a carry gun. Both newbies are interested in easy carry and simplicity, which means Kahr.

However, there has been a huge amount of buzz about the S&W M&P Shield and especially it's short reset trigger. A few weeks ago I bought one to wring out in anticipation of letting family members try it as an option.

In short, it sucked. Crudely made, requiring as much fluffing and buffing as a Keltec. It is reliable and ergonomic, but I intensely dislike cheaply made guns. Worse, however, was how badly I was misled about the trigger.

My unit must have been unusually bad compared to what many others claim, or they are trigger idiots. It had a long gritty take up, a horrendous hitch at the beginning of the striker block contact, and a hard 7.5-8+ lb variable trigger pull that just didn't want to break, and then had over travel. Because of this lousy trigger, accuracy was really compromised.

I polished everything and smoothed it up a little, but the hitch was still there and the break was still heavy. I eliminated the overtravel with some epoxy in the trigger guard. I coughed up an additional $200 to get a sight pusher to remove the ridiculously tight rear sight for disassembly and an Apex trigger kit.

With the work done the trigger is now much better, breaking consistently at about 5.5 lbs. with no over travel. It still has a slight hitch as the trigger bar pushes up the striker block, and the break is not "like glass". It does have a short reset which makes it fairly fast to shoot, but accuracy still suffers.

Bottom line: I ended up paying as much or more than a Kahr costs, got a rough gun with a poorly designed striker firing system that required additional expense and time, and the trigger is nowhere near as good as my three Kahrs have been. I won't be recommending a Shield over a Kahr.

Do you have a CW or P series kahr?? Slightly smaller and lighter than the shield but basically the same class of handgun and in a platform you are already comfortable shooting and know well. Hard to keep a open minded review as you should have known going in about the trigger issues with all the owner reviews out there. And the TP series is a much close to commander 1911 in size and feel than a shield.

I got a shoot a shield a while back. Seem lots of guys will swap out handguns at a public range I visit if you ask them so trigger time is good behind many other makes and models I may never owny.

I liked the shield fine but it had some apex stuff in it. Different from a kahrs trigger very nice to me . Many reviews will till you about the typical stock shield trigger issues too.

I enjoy shooting many different handguns , just never liked to mix brands or model designs for carry . Now if it did not own a kahr?? maybe a shield. My wife has the larger m&p9c she bought as a house/range gun. It to is known to have trigger issues but she liked how it felt and I added a apex kit to it for her and I will say it is a great shooter with a glass smooth 4lb trigger and as accurate as any pistol should need to be. But if I shoot it to much I get the evil eye from the wife. Then is back to my kahrs.

Go easy on slamming other brands . Many hate our so favored kahrs and most other brands have haters when reality is they all work pretty well and some, like the m&p line with a little work can be darn fine shooters. Just different.

I think there a lot of trigger idiots out there... Well said!

It's hard, if not impossible, to beat a kahr trigger with any plastic trigger out there. Period. Not saying a glock mp xd/xdm or similar don't have their place or purpose. But the triggers on those firearms...even tuned...suck a big one.

Let the flames begin...

Once I had my G19 worked over by accurateIron. I can honestly sayt this is the most accurate semi I HAVE EVER OWNED. iT ACTUALLY MAKES OL JOCKO LOOK GOOD AT THE RANGE . None of my kahrs make me look good at the range. that being said my G19 is my home gun and range gun, never my carry gun. I think kahrs trigger system is by far the smoothest out there but also as many here know it is a trigger system that takes time to adjust to and some never adjust to it. I alwys felt that when I wanttohit a beer can at 25 yards, I would grab my G19 any day over any of my kahrs. Now to me tha tisnot taking anyting away from the kahrs, as they are what they are . IMO a pure defense gun that you will more than likely carry far more than a G19.. Never was a big fan of glocks SAS but again it is whatit is. When I bought my son a G19 who is not as gun savv as his dad, I had installed the siderlock safety in it . Supoer safety system and the trigger system is now all steel also.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

All I can say is you must got a crappy Shield. I like my 40 Shield better than my Kahr PM. I own both and prefer carrying the Shield by far, it is one of my favorite carry guns.
    Although lately I am liking my Beretta's, larger guns but very smooth.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

my shield 40 breaks clean for a stock gun... I like it
    Focus on your front sight..... The rest should be blurry!

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Do you have a CW or P series kahr??
    Two P40's and the TP9. Bought a CW9 as a gift for my son. I did not have a problem with the size or ergonomics of the Shield. They are actually very good.

I know I got a substandard Shield compared to others out there, but after working on the trigger I can see why many people have problems. It is not a smooth design.

My assessment may be worthless to someone who has had a different experience, but it should be fair warning to those considering a Shield to really check out the trigger of the gun in the store before purchase. I didn't do that as it was the only one in the store and the only one that had been available in a six month period, so I grabbed it. My mistake. I don't know anything about the rest of the M&P series.

Yes s&w makes sub standard pistols just like all do . Kahr included . And I know you probably don't want to hear it but most of the m&p line will with rounds down range to be come better. Some guys will have s&w fix the grittiness and smooth up the trigger pull. cost nothing but some time gone. I drifted my sight with a small vise padded with some leather and a ground flaton one side brass punch. Never used a sight pusher. Even the screw came right loose on out m&p. Anyhow hope you get it the way you want it.

Oh well , to bad they all are not made to be at there best when they come out of the box.

I had my G34 before my kahr pistols and can say that I'm definitely more accurate with that style trigger, or maybe its just the huge barrell.. I'm getting much better with the khars, but my block allows me to shoot faster and keep shots on target. Still, lately my T9 gets most of the time at the range..

Default yup

Quote Originally Posted by PM9OWNER View Post
    I had my G34 before my kahr pistols and can say that I'm definitely more accurate with that style trigger, or maybe its just the huge barrell.. I'm getting much better with the khars, but my block allows me to shoot faster and keep shots on target. Still, lately my T9 gets most of the time at the range..
    I am very accurate with my tuned G19, far far better than any of my kahrs but that beingt said, my pMJ9 ridesin myfront pocket 24/7 for I know I can put um all in a "Q" type target at 7 yards and for me that is plenty good. In a SHTF swituation my broupls are gonna be even more terrible. G.ock trigger for me is great but IMOto hairyt for pocket carry6 That SAS to me sucks as a safety ..

I would think the T9 would be one hell of a sooter though, due tosize, and weight. . Trigger system stays the same but one can get damn good with kahrs trigger. We have seen some awsome groups of this forum. I would think kahrs are cvapable of shootin themin the same hole, it is just that I cannot.

semper vulgare
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY