Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a decision.

Default Need help with a decision.

I own a Kahr CW9 and like it a lot. Im wanting to start shooting in IDPA next month and wonder if I can do well with the Kahr's long trigger pull? I know its all about training with what you carry and all. Which leads me to the next part. I really want to get a Glock 19 or 23 because I really like how they shoot and I'm pretty accurate with them, just dont know how easy it would be to CC with the Glock? I was thinking of trading my Kahr in on a Glock, but not sure. What do you guys think I should do and any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Depends on your purpose in shooting IDPA. If it's training and competing against yourself, which many feel is the purpose for IDPA, then go w/ your Kahr. Always shoot/compete with what you carry in that instance. If the purpose is fun and leisure and you want to competed against others there, you might want something like the Glock.

Personally, I would think the former is better time spent, but that's really a personal decision.

Something like a Glock 19 is not THAT much bigger than a Kahr, but definitely bigger. 50% heavier, a little thicker, longer, taller. But I frequently carry my Sig P250 compact and it's bigger than a Glock 19. Again, preference, finding a holster that works for the bigger gun. I'd say there are quite a few more folks out there carrying a Glock 19 as their CC than Kahrs. Not trying to sway you one way or the other, just sayin'.

Have you read this thread?
    Lots of good info on this subject
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13446

Or this one:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17479
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Start with the CW9 you carry for now. You own it, you carry it and the trigger time with it is invaluable.
    Sorry to say this but... you won't be real competive out the gate. Too much to learn about the game and about yourself to be great from the start.
    So run-what-you-brung for now and when the day comes that you know that the CW9 is the only thing that is keeping you from winning, upgrade!
    But first enjoy your time in the game. Participating is the win in IDPA.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Long trigger pull, long reset, lower mag capacity. In short, you'll come in dead last, but you'll learn a lot about using your weapon under stress. I go to matches to compete only with myself, and get more experience using my carry gun. Just don't get discouraged!

Default if

Quote Originally Posted by JRT View Post
    I own a Kahr CW9 and like it a lot. Im wanting to start shooting in IDPA next month and wonder if I can do well with the Kahr's long trigger pull? I know its all about training with what you carry and all. Which leads me to the next part. I really want to get a Glock 19 or 23 because I really like how they shoot and I'm pretty accurate with them, just dont know how easy it would be to CC with the Glock? I was thinking of trading my Kahr in on a Glock, but not sure. What do you guys think I should do and any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
    the IDPA is ur primary goal to do,then a glock will rule over your kahr. Just a fact, it will, for alotof reasons. If u want sumpin to carry for protection and great concealmen then the kahr should rule., IDPAis not reallife sh!t either. Itis a fun thing to do and some guns are just gonna do better in that situation. Trying to compare a kahr to a glock IMO is not a fair thing to do.

For meif i was gonna shoot that IDPA, I would do it with my kahr for I truly cold give a rats ass what others behind me are thinkin and my score would be irrelevant to. Buy the G19 and do the IDPA with it and still carry the kahr for defense . But thatis ur call to make also,u asked, wearejust giving u our opinion.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Enjoy the best of both worlds. The Kahr is the best for concealed carry and the Glock is the best for IDPA. Why limit yourself to one gun when they both function the same way. There is no such thing as owning too many guns.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default Need help with a decision.

Here is a two gun plan that looks good on paper at least:
    S&W M&P
    Shield for ccw
    Full size for IPDA

Same trigger (I think?)

I agree with these posts. I personally have Kahrs and Glocks. I tried conceal carrying my Glocks but they are just to big. I have the g19 and it is a great gun. I use it as a home defense gun or office gun. The Kahr is my carry and always will be. If I were to compete, I would use my Glock. Both brands serve completely different roles in my opinion and I love them both for the roles they serve. That is why I have multiples of each.

I have a bunch of Kahrs and don't anticipate carrying any other pistol daily, but I'm picking up my second Glock... a G19... for "Wifey" today. I got my G23C a few weeks ago and love it, but I will have to get a better holster and won't be carrying it with shorts! It's a nice size, but definitely larger than my P40... my largest carry... that and the PM45. That doesn't mean I won't try, though!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".