Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +P+ Ammo for P9?

Default +P+ Ammo for P9?

Just ordered some WInchester Ranger T ammo in +P+ and could not find any previous threads thru search regarding. Is the P9 rated to handle this ammo? WOuld not be steady diet due to price but would plan to carry and test it out some.

Thanks for help.
    Kahr P9 (my carry favorite)
    Sig P229, Sig P250 2SUM
    Glock 27, Springfield XD 40 SC
    Colt Detective Spec. Beretta 84
    Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9 Ruger Mini 14
    Bushmaster 5.56, BSA Martini Target .22
    I'm pretty sure God created me just for the hell of it.

I was just reading about this on another forum and found out here is no industry standard for +p+ ammo and Kahr doesn't recommend using it. The P9 is rated for +p though.
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
    C. S. Lewis

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Recently shot some HST124+P in my PM9 and it was plenty snappy for me, not sure what +P+ would be like.

buy a 40 cal , why push a 9mm beyond limits of safety.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Yep it appears the P9 is rated for +p but apparently for +p+. Got the .40's but got a fair to middlin deal on the 9mm +P+ and wanted to try it for my 9mm guns. Anyone have any experience shooting this hot round in Kahrs?????

Didn't think I was buying a pig in a poke, though.
    Kahr P9 (my carry favorite)
    Sig P229, Sig P250 2SUM
    Glock 27, Springfield XD 40 SC
    Colt Detective Spec. Beretta 84
    Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9 Ruger Mini 14
    Bushmaster 5.56, BSA Martini Target .22
    I'm pretty sure God created me just for the hell of it.

Years ago I shot some hot Federal ammo through my K9, but I didn't like shooting it. Too much grip breaking recoil for my girly hands. In a larger, duty size gun it may be more appropriate. In a small polymer frame gun, I imagine I'd like it even less.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

pig in a poke, ??? what the gun or the ammo. very few gun makers say to shoot +P+. I have no doubt ur P9 will shoot +P+, how many, how long??? No guidelines for +P+ thats why every gun maker will probaly tell u not to do it Most will do it OK, IMO. the cost factor will more thn likely prevent one from shootin it as range ammo, so ur looking at defense stuff basically. Not near the +P+ ammo variations are available as with the +P brand ammo. U get a far better range of IMO better ammo selection in the +P ammo than +P+ , simply because it is a brand of ammo that is ok-ed by most every gun maker to shoot in their 9mm.

My 21 cents on this is I would not shoot it due to IMO much better ammo in the +P category, but I have no doubt ur P9 will handle that ammo, for again I think it is far more add hype made to suckin guys ike u thinkin it is that much hotter, which by many accouonts is simply not true.

being there are no real saami standards for +P+ I can load lighter than hell and call it jockos powerbullet +P+ and no doubt some woud buy it cause it says +P+ and probably not be doing any false advertising. There is a saami standard for standard 9mm and also for +P so if ur gonna make and selll that as such, u better be damn close to the saamo specs or ur falsly advertinsg. From many chrono tests we have seen on this forum and even on utter forums, I don'tthink these +P+ rated ammo we see for sale is probably any hotter thn +P, some even are less. Kahr barrels are as good as they come, Lothaar top grade barrels, ...

We have seen some +P+ chrono on this forum and it was even less than +P, so alot of this +P+ sh!t is pure hype IMO. Kinda makes one feel more powerful , I guess.

I would think anyone here would be kinda foolish to actualy say it is safe to use it, not alot to gain by saying that..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post

We have seen some +P+ chrono on this forum and it was even less than +P, so alot of this +P+ sh!t is pure hype IMO.
    I believe this to be true. Given the lack of SAAMI standard for +P+, it's anyone's guess how hot a given manufacturer's load is. Not to mention that loads from one manufacturer may not equate to another. I agree with Jocko; marketing.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    Yep it appears the P9 is rated for +p but apparently for +p+. Got the .40's but got a fair to middlin deal on the 9mm +P+ and wanted to try it for my 9mm guns. Anyone have any experience shooting this hot round in Kahrs?????

Didn't think I was buying a pig in a poke, though.

I have 6 different 9mm P-series Kahr's. Every one is loaded with 127 grain +P+ Winchester Ranger-T hollow points. I wish I could find more of them at this time. The snap is completely manageable and not overpowering in the least in my experience. Highly recommend these to anyone. You get about 85% of the Muzzle Energy of a .40 SW. Stock up.

I've shot 9mm 124 gr +p Speer GDHP and Winchester Ranger T 127 +P+ from my Glock and couldn't tell the difference.
    The +P Speer round is advertised as 1,220 fps and the Ranger 1,250 fps from a 4" barrel.
    Really don't think it's a problem with limited use.