Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal wear? Kahr P9

Default Normal wear? Kahr P9

Ok, so I was cleaning my P9, I noticed a few spots of interest. Both sides of the barrel have an area (1 & 2) where it looks like it has been deformed from hitting the slide. The bottom of the feed ramp has a spot (5) that has been deformed from hitting either the mag or slide lock. The rear of the barrel has two areas (3 &4) that are also deformed from hitting the slide.

I will be contacting Kahr to find out if this is normal, but I figured I would post here and get some opinions.

So take a look and tell me what you guys think.

A little background, Ive had this P9 for 1 year, and have put about 2,300 rounds through it. It has been flawless from the first round. I carry it everyday, and I really couldnt be happier with it.

Default Dings and dents

I don't know about 1-4. But number 5 looks familiar. I had a ding on the bottom left of the feeding ramp facing the chamber. I had to gently smooth it using a fine file. It snagged my finger when I cleaned it. So I needed to smooth it down. Anyway It was caused by slamming a magazines during reload. It happened at IDPA shoot. So I now reload some slower and problem fixed.

About 1-4 I have no idea. Sorry. There are many very knowledgeable Kahr owners on this forum who could help.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Areas 3 and 4 look like the barrel to slide fit is off a bit, but is "self" adjusting. If the gun operates OK I wouldn't worry much. Areas 1 and 2 look to be related to a poor fit but shouldn't have any adverse effect. None of this should happen, but it does.

Area 5 is occuring on one of my new Kahrs too. It isn't from slamming mags in because I don't. I think the bottom of the ramp is hitting something, (the mag?), during recoil and peening. It hasn't effected reliability but is disconcerting.

Is this an example of "normal" wear? Unfortunately I think it may be more normal than not. Kahr's reputation on quality barrels has taken a major hit lately. Maybe they need a new look at QC methods.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Default Normal Wear

Ripley16,

Is right, the wear on my CW9 was on the bottom edge and the dent pushed up a bur. Now that I look, again yours looks like the slide slamming back into something.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I thijnk you need to send the barrel back to kahr, Alot of that is not normal IMO. Call kahr ans ask for IAN, you can also send these photos to them also via internet, that would help alot also.

That's the best advice right there. Ask the ones who built it. Also if the Oracle says ask for some one...there is a good reason to ask for them.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

I have #3 on my current PM9 barrel. I also had #3 on a previous PM9 barrel.

Default I

Quote Originally Posted by deadhead1971 View Post
    I have #3 on my current PM9 barrel. I also had #3 on a previous PM9 barrel.
    also had that on my PM9, I attributed it to the casing hitting that tipped ejection area on the barrel as it was ejecting the spent casing. It was evidkent it was hitting that tipped area.. It was proabably weaker at that point and when the burr showed, I filed it down one time and smoothed it out and it has never appeared again and I have 25,900 rounds. I would not worry about that area at all, but I do feel there is some peening going on that should not be there.

If it were mine, I would ask to send it back for inspection, and once back I do think they would replace it. I woul dnot think the upper slide would have to be sent back but if they ask to have it back also, indeed send it. Both can be sent back regular postal mail, for about $5. the lower section would not hav eto go back and that is the part that has the serial number on it also...so that could not be sent back regular mail.. a nice call to kahr willget to the bottom of it..

It wouldn't hurt to send the slide along with the barrel. That's definitely looking like peening going on. My original K40 barrel and slide were doing similar things and the gun started not quite going into battery after around 100 to 150 rounds. Almost, even close enough that it would fire but usually took a good smack to lock up. I contacted Kahr and sent the whole gun, on my dime, didn't know any better then, or now for that matter. Anyhow they replaced the whole top end, slide and barrel. It cost about the same to ship slide and barrel and you can't shoot it anyhow with the barrel gone, I'd let em see both so maybe they determine what the barrel is peening on?
    Does this make sense?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the responses guys. Very much appreciated.

I talked to Ian at Kahr, he asked for me to send in the barrel for inspection. I will also send in the slide since it wont cost any more, and that way they can make sure of proper fitment if the barrel needs to be replaced, etc.

I will update this thread when I hear back after sending it in.